• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

How many Classic Disney Films are not politically correct today

KBLovesDisney

I was out somewhere over the weekend and somebody said something about a good name for a baby is Maximilian. I said, more to myself than anybody in the room "If he is bright red, and has spinning blades for hands" and somebody standing next to me immediately got the reference. I was quite surprised.

-dave
I love how the guy who played Dr. Hans Reinhardt is actually named Maximilian.

AJH219

Advertisement
This is why I don't date people my age; they find offence in everything....even my beloved Disney films.

Astro_Digital

Original Poster
This thread about Disney Movies that are racist, has nothing to do with politics but what do I care.
Do what you want.

Do not know why I even bother trying.

The Mom

Premium Member
This thread about Disney Movies that are racist, has nothing to do with politics but what do I care.
Do what you want.

Do not know why I even bother trying.
This forum (where your thread has been moved) is titled politics AND social issues - unless you believe racism isn't a social issue?

SuddenStorm

Never realized how divisive classic Disney animated films were. I just assumed as a society, we could watch them- enjoy them- and understand that the intent behind them wasn't malicious.

I can only imagine what people will be saying about today's entertainment, 50 years from now.

TwilightZone

How about the naked demons in fantasia (heck the entire scene in general could count) and the hidden naked woman in the rescuers.
Neither would happen today.

aw14

Dumbo (they have a character named "Jim Crow" for starters), Fantasia (multiple issues wrong with the centaurs during the Pastoral Symphony segment [the worst of which were cut decades ago fortunately]), AristoCats (the Siamese cat).. some would argue there are a bunch of negative stereotypes in the song "Under the Sea" in Little Mermaid...
The crows have the best song however.

eliza61nyc

I don't think people feel that they are racist so much as offensive. there is a big difference. You simply get tired of seeing your people portrayed negatively. I get sick of seeing every old movie the black women was the maid. My mother was an attorney, my grandmother owned her own hotel in the Segregated south. Where are those 1940's movies.

Images matter, especially when dealing with children. If all your children see on the screen is people who look like them as crack dealers, whores or maids then that's what they think happens to them and studies have proven this.
Now today is 1000% better so it's not so much of an issue but when I was a kid, the only time African Americans were portrayed positively was the occasional Sidney Poiter movie.
No I do not believe Walt disney was racist but with all the choices of positive self images I have today, no way in hell was I showing any of my kids Song of the south, lol I couldn't get past the stupid "black/slave speech". not a soul I know ever spoke like that.

Actually my kids did not watch disney movies until maybe Beauty and the Beast

raven24

I don't think people feel that they are racist so much as offensive. there is a big difference. You simply get tired of seeing your people portrayed negatively. I get sick of seeing every old movie the black women was the maid. My mother was an attorney, my grandmother owned her own hotel in the Segregated south. Where are those 1940's movies.

Images matter, especially when dealing with children. If all your children see on the screen is people who look like them as crack dealers, whores or maids then that's what they think happens to them and studies have proven this.
Now today is 1000% better so it's not so much of an issue but when I was a kid, the only time African Americans were portrayed positively was the occasional Sidney Poiter movie.
No I do not believe Walt disney was racist but with all the choices of positive self images I have today, no way in hell was I showing any of my kids Song of the south, lol I couldn't get past the stupid "black/slave speech". not a soul I know ever spoke like that.

PREACH.

aw14

I certainly understand your perspective, but the time in which the movies are made needs to be kept in appropriate perspective. There are many anti-semitic "cartoon" movies of the same era, however, I do not feel it required to tell my daughter about those or hide her from them. That was the time, and in many instances things change or in some they don't.

We all need to remember, we will never truly get rid of racism/anti-semitism etc.. there are factions that will always exist. being offended by them gives them power over you as they are occupying free space in your brain. I choose not to let them.

eliza61nyc

I certainly understand your perspective, but the time in which the movies are made needs to be kept in appropriate perspective. There are many anti-semitic "cartoon" movies of the same era, however, I do not feel it required to tell my daughter about those or hide her from them. That was the time, and in many instances things change or in some they don't.

We all need to remember, we will never truly get rid of racism/anti-semitism etc.. there are factions that will always exist. being offended by them gives them power over you as they are occupying free space in your brain. I choose not to let them.
Thank you AW, that's all many folks want is a little understanding. I don't think I'm a snowflake who gets offended at every thing
but I do understand why Disney is not releasing Song of the South. It's totally a business move and one I would probably make.
like I said, why even remotely tick off a large bunch of people who are spending 50 billion bucks on vacations and you want them in your parks ESPECIALLY since todays kids probably would not have the same response. these are the kids that have grown up on massive special effects (thank you star wars) and now Black panther.

Jedi Stitch

I remember having movie night at my grade school watching song of the south with the old real to real projectors, that had to do 4 intermissions for the 4 real change outs. this was the early '80's. I still laugh my butt of during the Fletch Lives with Chevy Chase song of the south reference in his movie. I don't think people can tell the difference between real life and satire anymore.

Quinnmac000

I'm surprised people totally forget Snow White and Sleeping Beauty where there was no consent before the guy made their move because they were knocked out #metoo #daterape

AJH219

What a sad way to live a life. Too each their own though :/

eliza61nyc

What a sad way to live a life. Too each their own though :/
???
what's sad? to not like to see negative images of oneself? you mean Muslims secretly like the fact that many people think they are all terrorist? who knew? lol. didn't know that was abnormal. Is there a group out there that actually "likes" stereotypes? or sad that my kids didn't see Disney movies? lol news flash, I know quite a number of parents who don't expose their kids to tv, the internet, don't let their kids have facebook pages or cell phones. They manage to survive and actually have a life. :rolleyes:

lol as you can see by my pictures, I'm a smiling happy camper. Remember we're talking about movies and a made up theme park. Yes, it's a great place to vacation but I'm not making life decisions based on them.

Last edited:

mharrington

Thinking maybe

Got the 1"Song of the South".... so racist even Disney except for Splash Mountain Disney pretends it did not exist.

2 Lady and the Tramp, using racist stereo types, Italian waiter, even the Siamese Cats
3 Pinocchio, using racist gypsies stereo types, the kids smoking
4 Peter Pan, how the natives were portrayed
5 Jungle Book, got to start with King Louie

Even movies like 6 Snow White and 7 Cinderella, do you want you daughters using any Disney Princess as a role model or should they be taught there lives should not revolve around a Prince.

Can think of these seven of the top of my head.
Bear in mind, this is what I read in "Mouse Under Glass", and do not necessarily reflect my personal opinions:

8) "Aladdin": Depictions of Middle Easterns as mean, nasty people (the central characters (Aladdin, Jasmine, etc.) speak American English, while the supporting characters are all bad guys who speak in foreign accents); also the original lyrics of "Arabian Nights".
9) "The Lion King": The hyenas, jive-talking and antisocial, were voiced by minorities, not to mention how the good lions are lighter in skin color, while Scar had a darker color (and spoke in an effeminate manner besides).
10) "Pocahontas": Native Americans, but more importantly for sticking closer to the legend instead of the facts.

What of those lyrics of "Arabian Nights"? Well, the original lyrics were altered between the original theatrical release and the subsequent home video release and all releases of the film ever since. Disney apparently got called out by the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination League for these lyrics, which, in its original theatrical release apparently, described the land as one "where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face. It's barbaric, but hey, it's home." When the film was released on home video, Disney apparently altered the lyrics so that the land is now described as one "where it's flat and immense, and the heat is intense," yet still retained the "barbaric" part of the phrase.

Top Bottom