How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

The Mom

Premium Member
Tattoos are becoming more mainstream, and a time will come when people don't think twice about them. When I was a teenager, we were not allowed to wear pants/trousers to school, church, or the office. It is now so commonplace that no one even notices. "Nice" girls did not have pierced ears, dyed hair, or noticeable make-up beyond lipstick.

What is considered cutting edge now may well be run of the mill in the future. We are in a transitional phase, which always makes some people uncomfortable. No one likes change unless he or she has initiated it. ;)

Smiley/OCD

Having worked in retail management for over 30 years, I agree that there has been a softening of dress codes...I left the trade in 2014, and I couldn't remember the last time an applicant showed up for an interview dressed even in business casual. With that said, tattoos are ok for me if (and only if) they are tasteful and not in the form of "sleeves" in MOST retail environments. The same goes for brightly colored hair, multiple piercings, and pierced eyebrows, lips, noses etc. I do NOT have a problem with people who wish to express their creativity in any way they want, BUT it's not a company's job or responsibility to conform to the workforce, it's the workforce's responsibility to conform to the prospective company they wish to work for.

My oldest DD is in the Disney College Program...no visible tattoos unless they are covered up, no dangling earrings, no dyed hair, the interns can't even have braces on their teeth! For every one prospect accepted into the DCP, there are HUNDREDS waiting to be accepted. There will always be PLENTY of candidates to become cast members. They know going in what the expectations are. Again, I personally have no problem with tattoos, BUT Disney has an image they want to maintain, and they have EVERY right to continue them.

copcarguyp71

Since this thread is still going on I wanted to add to my earlier post. As someone who has a fair amount of tattoos but who also considers that there are circumstances and situations in which my art should remain covered to be respectful I will say that there would be a slippery slope for any corporation who "selectively allows" tattoos. Take for instance the following tattoos... at what point does a mermaid become "inappropriate" according to HR? No easy answers on this one IMO.
little mermaid skin.jpg

mermaid medium.jpg

mermaid clean.jpg
mermaid inappropriate.jpg

mergatroid

Original Poster
Since this thread is still going on I wanted to add to my earlier post. As someone who has a fair amount of tattoos but who also considers that there are circumstances and situations in which my art should remain covered to be respectful I will say that there would be a slippery slope for any corporation who "selectively allows" tattoos. Take for instance the following tattoos... at what point does a mermaid become "inappropriate" according to HR? No easy answers on this one IMO.
View attachment 274181
View attachment 274182
View attachment 274183View attachment 274189

Agreed it would be quite difficult to allow certain tattoos and not others, even more difficult in written policy. The other difficulty in 'policing' tattoos is that they can literally be an artistic impression of anything that can be drawn. Another thing is that as they're classed as a piece of art by many, that kind of goes against the idea of a uniform which is designed to make all CM's look similar in appearance. In theory if visible tattoos are allowed then surely it would allow CM's without tattoos to draw on their shirts if they so desired as that would also be an expression of art just like tattoos? It's a tough call.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Having worked in retail management for over 30 years, I agree that there has been a softening of dress codes...I left the trade in 2014, and I couldn't remember the last time an applicant showed up for an interview dressed even in business casual. With that said, tattoos are ok for me if (and only if) they are tasteful and not in the form of "sleeves" in MOST retail environments. The same goes for brightly colored hair, multiple piercings, and pierced eyebrows, lips, noses etc. I do NOT have a problem with people who wish to express their creativity in any way they want, BUT it's not a company's job or responsibility to conform to the workforce, it's the workforce's responsibility to conform to the prospective company they wish to work for.

My oldest DD is in the Disney College Program...no visible tattoos unless they are covered up, no dangling earrings, no dyed hair, the interns can't even have braces on their teeth! For every one prospect accepted into the DCP, there are HUNDREDS waiting to be accepted. There will always be PLENTY of candidates to become cast members. They know going in what the expectations are. Again, I personally have no problem with tattoos, BUT Disney has an image they want to maintain, and they have EVERY right to continue them.
The others are a little bit understandable, but, braces? Really? Isn't that considered a medical appliance, and fall under ADA? Probably not, because it is about the same as plastic surgery as in medically unnecessary. I know it is hard to see right now, but, this is the 21st Century, I thought. Right now it wouldn't take much for life from another world to be superior to us.

Smiley/OCD

The others are a little bit understandable, but, braces? Really? Isn't that considered a medical appliance, and fall under ADA? Probably not, because it is about the same as plastic surgery as in medically unnecessary. I know it is hard to see right now, but, this is the 21st Century, I thought. Right now it wouldn't take much for life from another world to be superior to us.
Nope, It's not (in most cases) a medical necessity, so no braces...but again, it's ALL spelled out in the interviews.

jloucks

I disagree. Tattoos do not stimulate creativity, rather have become a 'need to do because others do', and to me look like sheep. I do not see how walking into a tattoo parlor and pointing to picture of the tattoo you choose is creative.

In professional environments the way your dress and present yourself represents how you feel about yourself, and even Zuckerburg learned that lesson when trying to wear hoodies to SEC meetings.

What is forgotten is Disney is still mainly a facility for Children. The 'get with the times' crowd needs to realize that disney is not the stage for your adult agenda. I remain neutral on tattoos, but support the visible tattoo ban. Kids are very perceptive, and I don't think its reasonable to explain to my 5 year old a cast member at Disney has a Chinese quote on their neck, or barb wire around their forearm.

I see tattoos as the worst possible fad. A permanent fad. Copycats wander into a parlor, point to meaningless pieces of thrift store "art", and for some reason have it permanently nailed into their flesh. I just don't get it. It seems nuts to me. Who would buy a generic piece of art and commit to keeping it in their living room, for life? ...let alone on their body.

That being said, truly unique and/or meaningful item(s) tattooed to your body make sense. A commemorative memorial to a lost loved one? I get it. Perhaps a family crest everybody gets? I get it. A military tat that is tradition? I get it. A cultural tatt (if youre actually form that culture), go for it. I even get taking your now 20 year old kids piece of art, drawn at 2 years old, and having it put on.

Heck, I wouldn't rule out certain ones of the above for me even.

But a Mickey Mouse or Homer Simpson or skull or dead puppy or *insert generic item* just seems... illogical. And so I evaluate, and I do it quietly. After all, I don't really care that much. I'd rather you be covered in tatts and happy than tattless and sad. But I do laugh internally at your corporate, lewd, or nightmare themed lifelong art choice. I make a snap evaluation at your decision making prowess, and at the very least, your taste in art.

I have come around to the fad tho, I still hire people with tats, even with all the black marks against them.

Goofyernmost

Nope, It's not (in most cases) a medical necessity, so no braces...but again, it's ALL spelled out in the interviews.
I never denied it wasn't spelled out, but, it does rank right up there with some of the more stupid, outdated rules that places like Disney hang onto. However, I do understand that if I were to see a young or older CM with braces, that would be it... I'd swear off Disney forever. Now I have to have second thought about the degree of affection for at least two of my grandchildren. What a disgusting thing to do, straighten their teeth so that they don't have jaw problems in later life. How low life can one get, I mean gross.
That would be sarcasm and utter disgust for the people, in all parts, of our society for not having the sense god gave a gnat.

Phil12

So long as he stays in the shape he shifted to. His tats stay on his human form .
He can shift to any form, with or without the tats. He could shape shift into one big tattoo if he desired. Also the "real" Maui had no tats. The tattoos were added by Disney to play into the Dwayne Johnson fantasy. Disney likes to use "star power" to sell their movies as they did with Robin Williams and have done with many other stars.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Tastes vary. I prefer people who are slightly eccentric over the uptight. Not to mention, I'm quite liberal. For all I care I get directed into my monorail by a six foot four bear in nothing but a tattooed-on Elsa costume bodypaint.

Stiff clothing prescriptions lead to stifled thinking. Creativity by contrast thrives by challenging people to express their creativity and individuality.

I had rather WDW presented itself as a creative powerhouse through expressively dressed personnel than as a plastic and slick commercial enterprise dreadfully afraid of offending somebody, somewhere, somehow.

Best tattoo I've ever seen is one a photographer I know has, It's a mechanical exploded drawing of a SLR camera complete with part numbers.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
He can shift to any form, with or without the tats. He could shape shift into one big tattoo if he desired. Also the "real" Maui had no tats. The tattoos were added by Disney to play into the Dwayne Johnson fantasy. Disney likes to use "star power" to sell their movies as they did with Robin Williams and have done with many other stars.
Well, now you've just killed the Maui magic for me... :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom