How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

OneofThree

On a related note, during one of my recent trips to WDW, I noticed a behavior in a CM I had never witnessed before. It was in a QS restaurant. During the time we were in line and ordering, the CM spent the entire time discussing her plans for that night with another CM. She then carried on the conversation outdoors on what looked to be a break of sorts. This is poor service by any standard, particularly though in a resort which has always prided itself on "casting" its employees. Not college program by any stretch.

mergatroid

Original Poster
On a related note, during one of my recent trips to WDW, I noticed a behavior in a CM I had never witnessed before. It was in a QS restaurant. During the time we were in line and ordering, the CM spent the entire time discussing her plans for that night with another CM. She then carried on the conversation outdoors on what looked to be break of sorts. This is poor service by any standard, particular though in a resort which has always prided itself on "casting" its employees. Not college program by any stretch.

She definitely had tattoos hidden away then :D

graphite1326

On a related note, during one of my recent trips to WDW, I noticed a behavior in a CM I had never witnessed before. It was in a QS restaurant. During the time we were in line and ordering, the CM spent the entire time discussing her plans for that night with another CM. She then carried on the conversation outdoors on what looked to be break of sorts. This is poor service by any standard, particular though in a resort which has always prided itself on "casting" its employees. Not college program by any stretch.
I have noticed the same thing. I remember when we first started going it was one of the things I noticed that the CMs didn't stand around and chit chat like you see in a lot of places.

OneofThree

I have noticed the same thing. I remember when we first started going it was one of the things I noticed that the CMs didn't stand around and chit chat like you see in a lot of places.

Maybe indicative of the fact that Disney's focus has shifted away from the immersive, "guest" focused experience toward a more generic model relying upon cheap labor and the sale of trinkets and snacks to hoards of what they now view as "consumers", in the literal sense.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Body Alteration or Modification
Intentional body alteration or modification for the purpose of achieving a visible, physical effect that disfigures, deforms or similarly detracts from a professional image is prohibited. Examples include, but are not limited to, visible tattoos, brands, body piercing (other than traditional ear piercing for women), tongue piercing or splitting, tooth filing, earlobe expansion, and acquiring visible, disfiguring skin implants.Methods to conceal an unacceptable piercing or tattoo, such as using a bandage, are not permitted. For tattoo coverage, opaque makeup will be permitted if it completely conceals the tattoo. Spacers or retainers are not permitted in any visible body piercing while working. Jewelry worn in non-visible piercings that may pose a safety risk because of costume design and/or job responsibilities will not be permitted

How is Joe Rohde still employed!

21stamps

I am sure you would then be facing an unfair dismissal action unless you stated before hiring that company policy was no tattoo's.

There is probably an appearance code somewhere in the company policy. Most have them. It’s fairly standard for a company to not allow visible tattoos.

Edit- Wait, we’re back to covered tattoos not being acceptable? I’m confused again. I don’t think anyone could legally fire someone for that. I’ve never heard of such a thing.

21stamps

@graphite1326 .. ok so now I’m really curious..

Here’s my sister, used as the advert for a tough mudder. You can visibly see her tattoo in this the pic. She hates this photo because of her stomach.. it was 10 weeks after having her second child, the child that she had 13 months after having her first...but..besides the extra stomach skin, the tattoo in her side is showing. I’m sure the hospital she works for also saw it. I’m sure some of her patients saw it.

Should she be fired because they now know that she has a tattoo?
Would you fire her? Is that what you’re saying?
81D99C15-C607-416E-9C4A-A6F7933D7B71.jpeg

Last edited:

cameronmouse

I have personally seen a chef at via napoli with a full sleeves during our trip last year. This happened to turn into a big topic of conversation between myself and my wife during dinner. As far as the stigma of tattoos themselves, nowadays things are so different and it's sad to see some people still have negative perspectives of people with tattoos. If you're skeptical of people that do have tattoos, maybe next time you're in the parks strike up a conversation with someone that has visible tattoos. I bet more times than not you'd be pleasantly surprised with the conversation.

Simba's Mom

I predict it will be a while before visible tattoos are allowed. I work at a hospital, where no visible tattoos are allowed. I guess I'm showing my age, because we have a valet who always has a compression sleeve on his arm. I really thought that the poor young man must have a problem, hurt his arm, maybe tennis elbow. One day I finally got up the nerve to ask him "Gee, what happened to your arm?" I didn't feel TOO old and out of touch!

mergatroid

Original Poster
@mergatroid .. ok so now I’m really curious..

Here’s my sister, used as the advert for a tough mudder. You can visibly see her tattoo in this the pic. She hates this photo because of her stomach.. it was 10 weeks after having her second child, the child that she had 13 months after having her first...but..besides the extra stomach skin, the tattoo in her side is showing. I’m sure the hospital she works for also saw it. I’m sure some of her patients saw it.

Should she be fired because they now know that she has a tattoo?
Would you fire her? Is that what you’re saying?
View attachment 270746

I have no idea why you're asking me, I think you're confusing me with somebody else as I'm not the one talking about your sister in this thread or wanting people with tattoos sacked? :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom