How is WDI doing currently?

WDW95

Original Poster
What are everyone's thoughts on the status of WDI right now?

Do you think they are still capable of creating mind-blowing attractions and environments like TDS or POTC? Or has their creative spark begun to dwindle as each passing generation of Imagineers come? Is the focus on technology and interactivity going a little overboard? Are they relying too much on projections and screens? Are they losing their ability to tell a coherent, amazing, original story? Too many character tie-ins? Of course corporate has a large influence of what actually is built by the Imagineers but are the Imagineers really providing their best product or at least as good as what they previously done?

Just asking because recently, it seems like all we have gotten has been pretty lackluster/not as good as what they were capable of in the past. While Cars Land is an amazing land and easily some of their best work visually, in reality it was not created by Imagineering but instead just a replica of what Pixar created, plus some carnival rides. The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow at DHS has a terrible story. Even if the budget was low, I would have thought the Imagineers could have created an awesome story. IDK.

Thrill

I think they still have something left. They aren't where they were in the late 60's to mid 80's, I don't think, but they can come out with some good pieces here and there. So creatively, they could be worse.

Should I even discuss the budgetary sorcery they manage to get away with? Their work is done for something like twice market value.

afar28

Everest was an outstanding ride, but besides that their hasn't been many mind blowing immersive attractions lately. Maybe with the rumored DHS overhaul they could bring in some awesome attractions. I do still believe they're capable of building amazing attractions

donaldtoo

IMO it's, quite simply, and figuratively speaking, a Walt vs. Roy O. type-ish thing...
And, this time anyway, Roy O. is winning...
I believe WDI is FULL of great, creative ideas, but the bean counters a stifling 'em with... "We already got 'em (the Guests) by the short hairs, so let's dangle just enough carrot in front of 'em to keep 'em comin', but mostly just sit on our laurels and rake in the cash." Walt would not approve...
Again, just my opinion.

Captain Neo

They pushed out arguably their biggest talent Tony Baxter after not giving him a big project in years, Joe Rhode is bogged down on Avatar until the end of the decade when he will probably be shown the door, the most talentless person alive Tom Fitzgerald seems to somehow still have considerable power and influence over there and continues to ruin attractions with 3D projections and no sense of immersion.

Really the only talent they have left is Tom Morris, Kevin Rafferty, and Kim Irvine. I would say Kathy Mangum but I don't know enough about her to be honest. Word from LeeMac is that she fought with Baxter and if it wasn't for Morris and Rafferty Cars Land would have been a complete mess. She apperantly also plays the political game hard at imagineering.

The rest of imagineering is abunch of 20/30 somethings who are just looking to work a few years to put something impressive on their resume and Bruce Vaughn their leader who started at Disney in the 90s when the parks were already in decline and doesn't no jack about creating a quality experience.

Californian Elitist

hey man, the imagineers aint gonna take your lip. if you are so good than why arent you an imagineer. they are full of ideas, more than you and I even know about. when they come out with an awesome you will regret your post. They are the leader in entertainment so I wouldn't rip on them.

Why are we not allowed to "rip" on them? In fact, I'll jump in.

When was the last time Disney created an original attraction in the States? Was it 2006 with Everest? That's nearing a decade ago. Imagineers haven't really been imagining anything,lately, but have been relying on IPs to create attractions. They're being lazy and less creative.

donaldtoo

You have to remember, back in like the 50's and 60's, the imagineers only had one park to worry about. Now they are managing 12 theme parks internationally. Look, they are working on Disneyland shanghai right now. After that, they will be able to get their focus back on. The imagineers are a very elite team and will always be a strong force in the amusement business. look for something in about 2016.

Definitely somethin' I originally intended to put in my post, but blew it off to keep it shorter...
Overextension, yes. But, it would seem to me that a company like TWDC would take that into consideration (like they USED to back in the day) with every move. Hire more CM's to cover whatever it is your doin'. But, alas, that's not in their Company "culture", these days. Burn everyone out and then replace 'em with more underpaid, overworked pixie dust snortin', Cool-Aide drinkers. Repeat.

Last edited:

afar28

ok, ill make a compromise to what a better solution is. The international parks are getting original rides. The states aren't. I think the imagineers are doing well, but there should be more of them. I'd say more than 50% are working on shanghai and maybe 30% on avatar. that leaves barely anyone to work on new development.
I'd say it's more so that TDO isn't willing to spend money, unlike Tokyo Disneyland

Black Pearl

The rollercoaster of life. Ups, downs, stagnations. I remember a closely related company Apple being fairly down and out with some craziness. They seem to be getting by now though.

WDWDad13

Maybe for now, but if this current stagnation continues they won't be doing fine for much longer.

I agree...I bet Harry Potter himself is at the magic kingdom right now taking measurements for when they close the doors, UNI buys them, and turns it into their 3rd Harry Potter park....because we all could use more butterbeer and rides with the little geek boy on the broom

LOL

lazyboy97o

You have to remember, back in like the 50's and 60's, the imagineers only had one park to worry about. Now they are managing 12 theme parks internationally. Look, they are working on Disneyland shanghai right now. After that, they will be able to get their focus back on. The imagineers are a very elite team and will always be a strong force in the amusement business. look for something in about 2016.
Right... For an elite group Walt Disney Imagineering sure is a large, bloated organization.

LOL!

WDW is doing just fine contrary to popular belief by many on this forum
Walt Disney World and Walt Disney Imagineering are two separate things...

WDWDad13

Right... For an elite group Walt Disney Imagineering sure is a large, bloated organization.

Walt Disney World and Walt Disney Imagineering are two separate things...

And both are doing fine... It's not the people that's the problem, it's the green light they won't activate....at wdw that is

WDWDad13

So all of the bickering and in-fighting is just a collective hallucination? The purging of tenured talent has not happened?

Unfortunately this is common in other companies as well. Bring in the new who are paid less and are more open to change and newer management techniques etc and if the older dont adapt, they are usually pushed out the door

I see it where I work too and know of others doing the same

I don't agree with it but its the new world we live in

afar28

I agree...I bet Harry Potter himself is at the magic kingdom right now taking measurements for when they close the doors, UNI buys them, and turns it into their 3rd Harry Potter park....because we all could use more butterbeer and rides with the little geek boy on the broom

LOL
Nobody said WDW would close it's doors lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom