How is the Brown Derby?

drp4video

Original Poster
I am going on an unexpected quick trip in March...I am meeting my mom who is 72 and has never been to MGM (we only have time for 2 parks...MGM and MK). I have eaten at Hollywood and Vine, Sci Fi, Prime Time Cafe, but never at the Brown Derby and thought mom might like that best. Any restaurant reviews and recommendations on food would be helpful. THank you.

makscopes

The Brown Derby is in a different class from the other restaurants. You and your mom will not be sorry. The atmosphere is elegant and the food superb. I highly recommend the Cobb Salad - it is out of this world!

Buckeye

I'll second that recomendation. We go to Brown Derby every trip. My wife can't leave without having her Cobb Salad.

Jamie P

The Brown Derby is by far one of my favorite places to eat when at MGM. In fact I don't remember ever missing having at least one meal there on any visit to WDW. The food and service is outstanding. Your mother will have a wonderful time dining at this restaurant. I believe you will be happy with your choice to dine here and that it will be a very special time for you both. Make sure to ask for a booth when you check in (will give you more space).

If you are planning on going to Fantasmic, you can book a Fantasmic Dinner Package with the Brown Derby. This might be something you are interested in looking into also. Just a thought.

drp4video

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies. I kind of figured it would be nicer than the other restaurants. I think Mom would like it. MGM is only open till 7:30 the night we go, but I am still thinking of the dinner package as mom has never seen Fantasmic. I am so excited to go with someone who has never been before. I go a lot with my daughter, but to see the magic through a newbies eyes, is always so much fun.

We only have time to go to one other park. Mom has been to the others, but it has been a while. I am leaning toward's MK, but am sad that Pirates will be closed when we are there (March 30). But I think there is so much more for mom there, and I always end my stay with the fireworks over the castle, so this would be keeping with the tradition.

I booked POR rather than a value as I think it will be a little more settling for her, not as hectic, but I had to lie to her about the price, and I will eat the difference. LOL
We stayed there this past Christmas and loved it. We always stayed at values before, but I fell in love with POR.

BigNormsMom

The atmosphere is great and the food is just as good. We never miss going to the Brown Derby, Big Norm would not go to the parks without eating there at least once.:lol: We have also purchased 2 of the books they have for sale, one is a cookbook and the other is a history of the original Brown Derby. :) The fact that you can have the Fantasmic show if you reserve the dinner and show time is just an added bonus. :sohappy: Just be sure that you look for Hedda Hopper and Louella Parson. They were 2 great features of the original and also celebrity columinist in Hollywood. Ask your CM server if they are in attendance at the time you dine. And yes, the Cobb Salad and the Grapefruit Cake are to die for. It is well worth the price. Take your Mom and have fun there.:D

MaryK

I loved the Brown Derby. I haven't had their Cobb salad, but hear lots of good things about it. Ihad steak and potatoes in this wine sauce. The grapefruit cake is decadent!

mrtoad

We loved it. We ate there for the first (and second time on this past trip). My wife had really wanted to check it out on this trip so we booked prior to going.
I had a Brie and Oyster soup for an apetizer that was out of this world. For dinner I had the Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna with Wasabi Whipped Potatoes which was incredible. For desert I had the Double Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee which again was excellent though I am not a super desert lover.

I don't remember what my wife had for an apetizer. For her dinner she had the Char-grilled Filet Mignon with Dijon crushed potatoes which I did try and it was excellent. For desert she had the Happiest Celebration on Earth! desert which was so good my daughter who was not having desert ate half of it. Just a note the Happiest Celebration on Earth desert is different at all the restaurants so just know that when you go to each on to read the description. In this case it was an orange chocolate mousse.

I don't remeber what my daughter had as it was from the childrens menu which is similar at all the restaurants.

Anyway we loved it so much we went back later in the week. My wife had the same exact meal. I had something different. The soup was not on the menu so it must have been a special. I had the Sake Laced Crab Cake which was excellent. For dinner I had the Thai Noodle Bowl with Coconut Crusted Tofu as I was torn the first time between that and the tuna. It was good but a dissapointment after the tuna. For desert I got the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Praline Cheesecake which was better than the first desert I had gotten.

So in the end I have to give it high, high marks. I really loved it and would do it again in a heatbeat. I would get the tuna again... :slurp:

Kwit35

makscopes said:
The Brown Derby is in a different class from the other restaurants. You and your mom will not be sorry. The atmosphere is elegant and the food superb. I highly recommend the Cobb Salad - it is out of this world!
Ditto, all around. The Cobb Salad is excellent! We ate there on a whim and walked up at the right time (no wait). It was a memorable lunch.

tink rules

I had a great dinner at the BD when I was there in Dec. One of the best of my trip!!!

I loved the Filet Mignon - the potatoes that they serve with it are a bit spicy - just a mellow kick to it.

Don't for get the grapfruit cake!!! They'll even give you the recipe with it.

Go for the dinner package. You will save money in the long run. I will do it next time for sure.

NitroStitch

I'll echo what everyone else has said - the Brown Derby is elegant, the service is fantastic, and the food is wonderful. :slurp: It's a don't-miss restaurant, and it's even better with the Fantasmic Dinner Package. That gives you a lot of great food and an easy entry to Fantasmic. Enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom