How has the coronavirus epidemic impacted your employment?

How has the coronavirus epidemic impacted your employment?

• I'm still working my typical hours at my usual work location (Paid by the hour and salaried)

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I'm working reduced hours at my usual work location (Paid by the hour)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm working my typical hours from home (Paid by the hour)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I'm working reduced hours from home (Paid by the hour)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • I'm salaried but working reduced hours at my usual work location

• I'm salaried but working from home

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I'm not working at the moment but continuing to be paid my usual compensation

• I'm not working at the moment and receiving less than my usual compensation, but more than zero

• I've been furloughed without compensation

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I was previously retired and/or not employed

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters

21stamps

There's not a way around it at this point. The first round was so pitiful. Jobs are going to be slow to come back (I don't care how many people say 'things are going to open back up' as if that means we're back to 3% unemployment or something. Businesses are gone and for those who aren't, they have a lot of work to do to get back to where they were, you might as well imagine they're starting over as a new business, and for corporations that are public or have investors, they have to cut costs to make their numbers one way or another) and the economy is going to suffer for a long while. Plus there's a threat of a second wave coming in the fall/winter. You need to put the economy on steroids for three months to balance the second wave alone.

I think UBI is closer to happening than not, even if no one wants to admit it.

The economy will not bounce back to normal quickly.. I don’t know what the future looks like, but I am certain that the opening plans are not going to suddenly make everything ok.
I think we would see more bailouts for industries and small businesses than for the general public. That’s just my prediction, I really don’t have a clue on what will come.

21stamps

Advertisement
I didn’t get home til 8pm. Had to work on Social Studies material tonight, and then kiddo had to take a test in Google Classroom (parents have to make sure they aren’t googling or using their textbooks). Finished all the work at 11pm.

Anyway, the test was the 1920s-1940 time period. He paused and looked at me, said “this sounds a lot like what’s happening now. People unemployed, stock market crashing, the President trying to help Americans get money. Did the coronavirus put us in a Great Depression?”

After the test he asked if we could see the stock market today, and compare it to then. It made him feel a lot better. His observations weren’t wrong though, a lot of it is too eerily similar.

-Just thought this was relevant in a thread about jobs.

Jimmy Thick

I'm still working, my beautiful wife is still working my children are at home caring for each other and all of us and helping our area's poor when then can making good use of their time at home instead of complaining. Very proud of them.

Hopefully this is a wake up call for American's to save money when they can.

21stamps

I have a question for those who are still working outside of home, but not in a medical facility...

Are most people wearing masks? Employees and non employees?

StarWarsGirl

I have a question for those who are still working outside of home, but not in a medical facility...

Are most people wearing masks? Employees and non employees?
We have an executive order here that says in public establishments (stores, take out places, etc.) everyone must wear a face covering to enter.

My dad has still been going into his office; they only wear masks if a client has to physically come in. Not if they're around each other, though. Bear in mind though that there's maybe four people there at a time and they have their own (huge) offices, so they don't worry about it.

StarWarsGirl

My company went to work from home for office employees in mid March. I've been to the office to grab supplies once since then. We're in a strange position. Part of our sales staff had to be furloughed or have reduced hours because business was down in their particular specialty. On the other hand, we have insane amounts of business in other areas specifically because of this pandemic. I've seen CoVid-specific orders come across my desk. My job is, thankfully, safe, but we can't hire any new people in finance for the moment, which is where I work. I am still just happy to have a job where I don't have to have contact with the community. I'm thankful every day for that.

It is strange. We went from being a company with a strict work from home policy to one that doesn't want us there. I think they're going to have to revise their policy unless they want us to revolt.

Dead2009

My job is still kicking although it's one of the essential businesses that are requiring people to wear facemasks at all times.

21stamps

My job is still kicking although it's one of the essential businesses that are requiring people to wear facemasks at all times.

It’s strange here....
where I live, most people are wearing masks.
where I work, only maybe 2 people per day are wearing masks. I had to go to the Target nearby my office, people not respecting space, barely anyone in masks, so many more people are out than in my area.

No one has gotten COVID-19, at my company. Fingers crossed that it stays that way, their clients could apparently not care less about the recommended precautions.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

Good ol Republican Senators, thinking the American people are just fine the way they are and don't need money to actually do things like pay rent, buy food, etc.

You know it's bad when the White House + House Democrats agree, but the Senate Republicans don't. I wonder if they know in six months that Trump will be gone and are starting to bail on him to some degree.

Democrats need to stop messing around and start passing bills in the House that support helping our country get through this when you have 30+ million people struggling with unemployment systems that aren't working and many facing increased charges because of COVID-19. This is getting ridiculous.

Prince-1

Good ol Republican Senators, thinking the American people are just fine the way they are and don't need money to actually do things like pay rent, buy food, etc.

You know it's bad when the White House + House Democrats agree, but the Senate Republicans don't. I wonder if they know in six months that Trump will be gone and are starting to bail on him to some degree.

Democrats need to stop messing around and start passing bills in the House that support helping our country get through this when you have 30+ million people struggling with unemployment systems that aren't working and many facing increased charges because of COVID-19. This is getting ridiculous.

I think they are more worried about keeping their jobs than if president Lysol is keeping his which I’m pretty sure they’ve written off.

Mrhappyplace

The poll doesn't have a option even close to my situation.

I was laid off of the job I had for 21 years in Jan 18 and collected unemployment then. Spent most of the rest of 2018 trying to stay in the same pay scale. At the end of the year I started delivering pizza for a national chain, it is a significant paycut but the job itself is much less stressful and I actually (usually) drive less miles/use less gas then I did commuting. Due to my age (weeks away from the big 50) and medical history (type 2 diabetes) I went on medical leave in the beginning of April. I had not yet worked enough hours since the last time I collected unemployment to collect so basically....
I have a job that is considered essential but I'm not working it due to being in the high risk category and am personally receiving zero compensation from the government. My wife on the other hand has been furloughed and is receiving the state unemployment and the federal payments. Fortunately while the amount we are receiving is less than we took home prior to Jan 2018 it is enough to support us.

More and more I'm figuring I'll need to return to work before the risk of Covid-19 is zero but while my wife is furloughed we can afford to stay on our property.

cmwade77

I was laid off of the job I had for 21 years in Jan 18 and collected unemployment then. Spent most of the rest of 2018 trying to stay in the same pay scale. At the end of the year I started delivering pizza for a national chain, it is a significant paycut but the job itself is much less stressful and I actually (usually) drive less miles/use less gas then I did commuting. Due to my age (weeks away from the big 50) and medical history (type 2 diabetes) I went on medical leave in the beginning of April. I had not yet worked enough hours since the last time I collected unemployment to collect so basically....
I have a job that is considered essential but I'm not working it due to being in the high risk category and am personally receiving zero compensation from the government. My wife on the other hand has been furloughed and is receiving the state unemployment and the federal payments. Fortunately while the amount we are receiving is less than we took home prior to Jan 2018 it is enough to support us.

More and more I'm figuring I'll need to return to work before the risk of Covid-19 is zero but while my wife is furloughed we can afford to stay on our property.
Just so we set some realistic expectations, the risk of Coivd-19 will NEVER be zero, even IF there is a vaccine, it won't make it zero, just as the Flu vaccine doesn't make the risk of getting the Flu zero.

ImperfectPixie

Hubby was called back to work last week because his company applied for a PPP loan that becomes a grant, but only if everyone is back working. So, his company is getting $400,000 for free off the labor of their workforce, because they are indeed working billable jobs.

He worked 35 hours last week. For just over $200. Because the company charged him for the full cost of our insurance for the time that he was unable to work all in one lump...even though they're getting nearly half a million dollars for free.

cmwade77

Hubby was called back to work last week because his company applied for a PPP loan that becomes a grant, but only if everyone is back working. So, his company is getting $400,000 for free off the labor of their workforce, because they are indeed working billable jobs.

He worked 35 hours last week. For just over $200. Because the company charged him for the full cost of our insurance for the time that he was unable to work all in one lump...even though they're getting nearly half a million dollars for free.
I believe one of the conditions of the PPP loan was that they couldn't charge for healthcare during anytime that their employees were laid off, he might want to check into that.

ImperfectPixie

I believe one of the conditions of the PPP loan was that they couldn't charge for healthcare during anytime that their employees were laid off, he might want to check into that.
Any idea where I could find that information? I've been looking, but haven't found anything.

21stamps

Do you qualify for PAU?

I wouldn’t view that as working for $200. The insurance money was basically fronted to you while he was receiving unemployment, it’s normal to pay it back. The company I work for did the same thing with our furloughed employees, they never had a gap in coverage, luckily. Much better than COBRA.

21stamps

Can anyone tell me if the payroll tax break was approved? I’ve been out of the loop for several days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom