How Firefox can enhance your WDWMagic experience (Part Four A - Searching)

ogryn

Original Poster
Previous Articles:

Mozilla Firefox is rapidly expanding open source web browser, with around 10% of the market share. It has a number of features that can make viewing and contributing to these forums easier. You can download Mozilla Firefox 1.5 browser from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ . In this fourth tutorial, I will show you how to add Search Engines to your search box.

Search Box
As some of you probably already know, you can search Google from within the browser by typing into the search box and hitting enter.
firefox_guide_4_1.jpg

The good thing about the search box though, is that you are not limited just to Google. If you click the down arrow by the Google icon, a list pops up of search engines. Chances are you haven't added any of your own, so there should only be 5 or 6 there. If you select a different one off the list, the search box will search that site instead.

firefox_guide_4_2.jpg

"How does this relate to WDWMagic?", I hear you cry! Have a peek at the bottom of my list on the above screenshot, and you'll see a WDWMagic icon. Yup, that's right, you can use the search box to search the WDWMagic Forums! :sohappy:

How to Download the WDWMagic Search Plugin

Click this link (or the one in my signature): http://www.inquisitivemonkey.co.uk/firefox/searchplugins/
and you'll see a page like this...

firefox_guide_4_4.jpg

Right-click on each of these files, and you'll need to "Save Link As..." them to your Firefox Profile.

:eek: I hear you cry! Profile? What's that!? Your Firefox profile saves all your browsing history, bookmarks, extensions... basically anything that relates to the user.

You can (usually) find the profile here: (text within [] boxes means it's different per system, so I can't speicify exactly:) )
Code:
c:\Documents & Settings\[Your Login Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random characters].default\searchplugins
The Application Data folder may be hidden on your system, but if you type the into the location bar of My Computer, then you'll find it.

Once you have saved both the .src file and the .png file to that directory, restart Firefox, and a WDWMagic search plugin should appear in the list.

firefox_guide_4_3.jpg

Context Search Extension
When you highlight some text on the page and right-click it, there will be an option to "Search Web for "..."", which will search Google for the Text Hightlighted.

The Context Search extension [Download Here] changes this option to a list of all the Search Engines you have installed. So seeing that we've just installed a WDWMagic one, this means that you can also search the WDWMagic Forums for any text you've just highlighted.

firefox_guide_4_5.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are more search options which I'll detail at a later date (probably after Firefox 2.0).

:wave:

nicholas

Hmmm. I can't find the searchplugins folder after that default one. I'll keep lookin..

EDIT - I made my own folder and now it works. Thanks, Ogryn! Love your firefox tips!

MerHearted

I just installed FireFox. My IE got all funky. Popups wouldn't work anymore for some reason. Anytime a new window opened, it was blank. Rather than try to understand how to fix it, I just decided to get FireFox. Oy, lot of stuff. It's gonna take a while to get used to a new broswer.

barnum42

MerHearted said:
Oy, lot of stuff. It's gonna take a while to get used to a new broswer.
I felt the same way when I deserted the Dark Side of IE, but it did not take long to prefer the way Firefox does things :D

tigsmom

Wait! All of my bookmarks are saved somewhere in a folder? :confused:

So the next time Firefox wipes out all of my bookmarks (and its happened 3 times now) I can find them hidden somewhere?

barnum42

tigsmom said:
Wait! All of my bookmarks are saved somewhere in a folder? :confused:

So the next time Firefox wipes out all of my bookmarks (and its happened 3 times now) I can find them hidden somewhere?
Book marks are in a file called "BOOKMARKS.HTML", which is in the following location (at least on my PC):

C:\Documents and Settings\user id\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4vntxb1t.default

If you keep a backup of this file, it should help if it gets accidentally wiped.

ogryn

Original Poster
Yup, and since 1.5 there is also a "Bookmarks Backup" folder that takes snapshots of your bookmarks over certain periods.

Don't forget MozBackup which backs up your profile in one easy go (and of course, restores it when things go wrong). :)

cherrynegra

NOW you tell me about the bookmarks file after I transferred all my old ones by copying the links into an email for my new computer and then I....ahhhhh.....:brick:

tigsmom

cherrynegra said:
NOW you tell me about the bookmarks file after I transferred all my old ones by copying the links into an email for my new computer and then I....ahhhhh.....:brick:

I imported my old ones from IE, but lost a bunch of new ones I have since I started using Firefox. I'll have to follow their directions and do a backup.

*pads off to screw things up* :lookaroun

Jorma

MerHearted said:
I just installed FireFox. My IE got all funky. Popups wouldn't work anymore for some reason. Anytime a new window opened, it was blank. Rather than try to understand how to fix it, I just decided to get FireFox. Oy, lot of stuff. It's gonna take a while to get used to a new broswer.

I use Firefox as well but have to deal with IE at work. :hurl: The solution to you IE issue may be to click Start > Run and input "regsvr32 urlmon.dll" without the quotes. That should fix the blank window issue.

You know just in case you have to use IE for something or other like Windows updates. :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom