How Far in Advance Can I Borrow Points?

vinnyv07

Original Poster
I have a June use year at Saratoga Springs and I wanted to see if I was correct about the borrowing rules. I used all my points in the 2017 and 2018 use years, but I would like to book a reservation at GC for Sept of 2018. I would have to book in Feb 2018 (next month). Would I be able to borrow my 2019 points for use for a reservation that is past my June use year? It sounds like I would be able to borrow from my June 2019 use year as long as the stay is after June 2018. Am I correct?

jaklgreen

I believe that is correct. They look at it as not in calendar years but your use year. I booked an Aulani trip for this coming June and booked 7months out and was able to borrow some 2019 points for it no problem. I have a Feb use year.

vinnyv07

Original Poster
I believe that is correct. They look at it as not in calendar years but your use year. I booked an Aulani trip for this coming June and booked 7months out and was able to borrow some 2019 points for it no problem. I have a Feb use year.
Thank you. After I posted I pretend booked a trip after my use year with the contract that I had 0 points in. As long as the reservation is after your use year, you can borrow from the year after even if you are making the reservation now. Thanks again.

correcaminos

I have a June use year at Saratoga Springs and I wanted to see if I was correct about the borrowing rules. I used all my points in the 2017 and 2018 use years, but I would like to book a reservation at GC for Sept of 2018. I would have to book in Feb 2018 (next month). Would I be able to borrow my 2019 points for use for a reservation that is past my June use year? It sounds like I would be able to borrow from my June 2019 use year as long as the stay is after June 2018. Am I correct?

I have a June UY as well. You are correct. You can borrow them for a stay from June 2018 through May 2019 from your 2018 UY.

vinnyv07

Original Poster
Please be aware that it's extremely difficult to book at the Grand Californian for the month of September. One-bedroom villas are typically gone within one minute of the seven month booking window, while Studios are impossible to get unless VGC is your Home Resort.
I considered buying a contract at GC just so I could amass the points to use every other year in an 11 month window. Two years ago, we were able to book GC at the end of August. People told us that we were extremely lucky. I’m going to try. I’ll book a one bedroom if it’s there.

vinnyv07

Original Poster
Ok, just be aware that it's significantly easier to book the Villas at the Grand Californian in August than in September.

We've been able to book studios in August but had great difficulty getting even a one-bedroom in September.

Just look at the point chart and you'll understand why.
Well, it’s as simple as this....if I can’t book the GC in Sept, they lost my business. I’ll go to Dollywood instead. Always good to have a backup plan.

jaklgreen

I heard a rumor that the new hotel they are building at DL is going to have DVC rooms. We are planning a short DL trip this year before we fly to Hawaii and the point cost was outrageous at the GC. It would have have been a better deal to sell those points and paid for the room in cash.

vinnyv07

Original Poster
I heard a rumor that the new hotel they are building at DL is going to have DVC rooms. We are planning a short DL trip this year before we fly to Hawaii and the point cost was outrageous at the GC. It would have have been a better deal to sell those points and paid for the room in cash.
That’s another option if the DVC rooms are gone right away. Sell the points and pay in cash. Totally agree.

correcaminos

That rumor had been shot down and won't happen. CA is tough on timeshares apparently.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s my plan for 2019. I’m planning a trip to CA and we were thinking about booking a few nights at GC with our points. Due to the issues with getting rooms and the high point cost we decided to just use those points this summer at HH for a few nights instead and then just book a cash room at DLR in 2019. We don’t have enough points for both trips so one was going to be a cash reservation anyway and I don’t want to risk getting shut out at DLR especially with SW opening that year. It could be even harder to get in.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I tried getting a cash room at VGC as none were available in points. First, the number of DVC rooms is miniscule, compared to WDW resorts - about 55 the DVC member services guy told me. And cash rooms are only available if owners have traded their points for things like RCI or DCL.

I would do an add on if DVC had contracts for resale. But my sales guy told me I'd be waiting a long time.

slappy magoo

I tried getting a cash room at VGC as none were available in points. First, the number of DVC rooms is miniscule, compared to WDW resorts - about 55 the DVC member services guy told me. And cash rooms are only available if owners have traded their points for things like RCI or DCL.

I would do an add on if DVC had contracts for resale. But my sales guy told me I'd be waiting a long time.
I could be wrong but I think some resale stores that specialize in DVC might offer waitlists for the resorts you want if they're currently out of inventory.

correcaminos

I could be wrong but I think some resale stores that specialize in DVC might offer waitlists for the resorts you want if they're currently out of inventory.
Nope, DVC resale doesn't usually take wait lists. They do first come first serve. If you want a hard to get resort you often have to know someone in the business who happens to get a contract for sale or you just have to be fast. This is why I went direct for one purchase (that and at the time the small contract resale price vs direct wasn't actually in my favor with closing costs). I tried for months before giving up and actually running the numbers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom