How does the launch system work on RnR?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
oh you're gonna get me started now... LOL
I'll keep it short :)

Underneath the straight section of track (where the car launches), there is a nother mini track that runs the whole length of the launch tunnel. On this mini track is a PUSHER CAR. The pusher car has a method of attaching itself to the underside of the main coaster car.

The pusher car on the mini track, uses a system of Linear Syncronous Motors to to push and pull itself along the mini track - using electro magnets. It is very much like the people mover at MK, but goes a heck of a lot quicker!! Anyway, the pusher car locks itself onto the main car, and when it receives current to the motors, it flies along, and carries the main coaster car with it. Towards the end of the launch tunnel it lets go of the main car, flinging it up the first inversion.

A few seconds later, the pusher car returns back to the start ready to go again. You can see it return if you watch after a launch. You can also feel it hook onto the underside of the main car when u are sitting there waiting to go.

It uses a heck of a lot of electricity - and power supply to the building was a major issue at design/cosntruction time.

A lot of launched coasters dont use the pusher car system, and the LSM force acts directly on the main car. The unique system RnR uses is one of the reasons it is HIGHLY reliable. Most of the other launched coasters (eg Superman) have extreme reliabiltiy problems.

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwmagic
oh you're gonna get me started now... LOL
I'll keep it short :)

Underneath the straight section of track (where the car launches), there is a nother mini track that runs the whole length of the launch tunnel. On this mini track is a PUSHER CAR. The pusher car has a method of attaching itself to the underside of the main coaster car.

The pusher car on the mini track, uses a system of Linear Syncronous Motors to to push and pull itself along the mini track - using electro magnets. It is very much like the people mover at MK, but goes a heck of a lot quicker!! Anyway, the pusher car locks itself onto the main car, and when it receives current to the motors, it flies along, and carries the main coaster car with it. Towards the end of the launch tunnel it lets go of the main car, flinging it up the first inversion.

A few seconds later, the pusher car returns back to the start ready to go again. You can see it return if you watch after a launch. You can also feel it hook onto the underside of the main car when u are sitting there waiting to go.

It uses a heck of a lot of electricity - and power supply to the building was a major issue at design/cosntruction time.

A lot of launched coasters dont use the pusher car system, and the LSM force acts directly on the main car. The unique system RnR uses is one of the reasons it is HIGHLY reliable. Most of the other launched coasters (eg Superman) have extreme reliabiltiy problems.

lol I love to get you started. :p Is the main car the front car or some other car that it hooks on to?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I believe it is either car no1 or no2. Not 100% sure, but it is certainly very near to the front.

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwmagic
I believe it is either car no1 or no2. Not 100% sure, but it is certainly very near to the front.

I'll think of a hard ? to ask you later. lmao:eek:

Disney2002

A note on how these system tend to fail like crazy at other parks...

Ceder Point's new Dragster coaster, which is 400 feet tall and depends on the magnet propulsion system to start the ride (and reach speeds 2x that of RnR) broke non-stop last year when the ride opened. It just couldn't handle to demand.

barnum42

I think it uses the same launcher as Disneyland Paris' Space Mountain, which is a variation on the catapult launcher used on aircraft carriers. The BBC broadcast a documentary about the design and building of Space Mountain, which included the launch mechanism. It was downloadable on a fan site at:

http://spacemountain.dlpfan.org/conception/documentary.html

But the site seems to have some problems at the moment. It may be on Disney-Central.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DLP SM does indeed use a catapult launch system (think cables and pulleys... you don`t feel any difference to RnR. Interesting note: at DLP SM the lauch is timed to have you slow down as you crest the top of the launch hill to produce longer air time!

paulcmartens: Correct. The TTA (WEDWay) in Tomorrowland is LSM - not a pulley in sight.

cloudboy

LIM - Linear Induction Motor

LSM - Linear Synchronous Motor.

Both are just two ways of using magnets to propell something. The pulley/Catapult system is completely independant of the motor - it could be driven by a gas motor, steam, anything, really.

To relate to a car, the LIM/LSM is like the kind of engine you have, the Catapult is like talking about the tires. Related but independant.

paulcmartens

Account Suspended

I know the abbreviations for LSM LIM...but I personally didn't feel anything at RNR when I was there...so I don't believe entirely that there is a cable system (to me that seems redundant). Pics anyone?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thats because there isn`t. SM DLP is a cable launch system, RnR`s uses LSM, as does California Screamin`.

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
o.k....

WDW magic says there is...marni says there isn't...(a pusher system).

RCDB says no pusher in RNR but in SM ETM at DLP.

By the way, still don't know the difference between LSM and LIM I'm going to have to look that up...some say California Screamin IS LIM (like myself)...but rcdb says its LSM...aaaahhhh

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I (think) they all have pushers (I know RnR and DLP SM do) but its what pushes the pushers (if you know what I mean) that is different!

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
could be...

could be....I've heard that as well, LSM for some...

But I'm really sure that there is no pusher for California Screamin...

O.k...now I'm going to have to go there and double check....but I'm probably about 89% sure. Because I know where the tongue is on the cars...if it were cable...the tongue would be attached to the cable...

hmmm....(ponders quick trip to DCA).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
paulcmartens:

SInce you are `local`, can you check out Screamin`? This is driving me nuts!

I can confirm 100% DLP SM is a motorised cable system that consists of a puck carriage attached the the cable. This engages with the rear of a fin fitted to the underside of the car. The carriage then runs uphill on its own set of rails under the main ride rails, pushing the fin and the cars with it.

Give me an hour, I will endevour to confirm RnR - I have it on video somewhere...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
AAARGH!! I have backstage details of everything BUT RnR!! In desperation, I have emailed WDW guest services.... lets see what that brings (they have been helpful before!) At least it will be from the horses mouth. As they say.

If I find anything, I will post it here.

cloudboy

still don't know the difference between LSM and LIM

Can be complicated, as there is not a lot of down to earth material out there on them. But in essence (and someone correct me if I am wrong on this)...

A LSM is the simpler of the two. Basically magnets on the bottom of the vehiclehave a certain polarity. The track has magnets, in which the polarity varies Positive to Negative. This difference causes the vehicle to move. It means that one of the two (either the track or the vehicle) must be smart enough to know how to vary the polarity to create motion.

A LIM uses two sets of magnets in the track, but which are driven by a normal current so that the polarity changes regularly. These magnets are arranged on on top of the other with a slit in between them. In this slit a fin, usually aluminum, when it is moving, gets an induced charge with an acompanying magnetic force. Since the current through the trakc magnets is alternating, this sets up a "wave" that the vehicle rides.

I guess that isn't that clear, is it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom