How Does Somebody Get an EV Parking Space at Disney World?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Full transparency: I work for an automaker, and work on EV projects on a very regular basis.

Anyway, we've done studies about this at work. Realistically, it's expected that if every car were to be an EV, there would be a 25% increase in cost per KWH.

At my house, I spend about $170/mo on electrical - $15 of which is to charge my car (FPL gives a good breakdown on their website).

25% higher cost would be $212.50, which means $18.75 to charge my car. The amount spent to charge my car is irrelevant, but I wanted to add it - but this is what's relevant.

That's an increase of $42.50. In my case, with the amount of driving I do, I'd spend that much on gas in a week. So even with an increase in KWH, I still come out ahead financially. I have a feeling most people would as well.

Not just Teslas. Chevys, Fords, Toyotas, Nissan, etc.

Just like they're going to pay those same rates if someone else decides to have a ridiculous christmas light show in their house, or a crypto mining operation in their basement.
Update, keeping transparency.

This past month, I drove about 800 miles. Total charging at home was $22.08.

TP2000

Nevermind charging up tourist's electricity-hog cars while they are staying at the Poly...

There's a big push to rezone barely-inland San Diego county not far from me from commercial to housing. They want 6,000 "housing units" (AKA market-rate upscale apartments) within the next decade where about 2 Million square feet of aging 20th century commercial property now exists.

The problem is that California is now mandating that 70% of passenger vehicles sold here for model year 2030 be pure electric vehicles. By model year 2035 California is mandating 100% of all passenger cars/trucks be electric vehicles. So.... where does all that extra electricity generation come from?

Per the US Department of Energy, Tesla, GM and Ford:

Average American Detached Home = 30 Kwh per day
Average American 2 Bedroom Apartment = 25 Kwh per day
Tesla Model 3 midsize sedan = 50 Kwh to charge for 250 miles
Tesla Model X family SUV = 75 Kwh to charge for 300 miles
Tesla Model 3 large sedan = 90 Kwh to charge for 300 miles
Ford Lightning pickup truck = 100 Kwh to charge for 300 miles
Cadillac Lyriq family SUV = 120 Kwh to charge for 300 miles

So... if the average two-car family in 2030 needs to add 200 Kwh weekly to their existing weekly 210 Kwh of electricity usage, where does all that extra electricity come from if coal and natural gas and nuclear are off limits? And we are removing existing hydro-electric dams to restore fish runs? Does the family of 2030 in an apartment get the extra 200 Kwh per week from butterfly wings? The steam from the Crockpot in the kitchen?

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Nevermind charging up tourist's electricity-hog cars while they are staying at the Poly...

There's a big push to rezone barely-inland San Diego county not far from me from commercial to housing. They want 6,000 "housing units" (AKA market-rate upscale apartments) within the next decade where about 2 Million square feet of aging 20th century commercial property now exists.

The problem is that California is now mandating that 70% of passenger vehicles sold here for model year 2030 be pure electric vehicles. By model year 2035 California is mandating 100% of all passenger cars/trucks be electric vehicles. So.... where does all that extra electricity generation come from?

So... if the average two-car family in 2030 needs to add 200 Kwh weekly to their existing weekly 210 Kwh of electricity usage, where does all that extra electricity come from if coal and natural gas and nuclear are off limits? And we are removing existing hydro-electric dams to restore fish runs? Does the family of 2030 in an apartment get the extra 200 Kwh per week from butterfly wings? The steam from the Crockpot in the kitchen?

A quick google search suggests we can handle electric cars just fine as long as we adapt for any increased electricity use before it become an issue (just as we have for other increases in electricity use).

Unless one lives in Texas, I wouldn't be concerned.

Disstevefan1

Right now, its cool, hip and one can feel good to be saving the planet by having an electric car, especially if you work from home and really do not need to go anywhere..

It will be interesting to see if the electric car ever evolves into something as dependable and convenient as the daily drivers we all grew up with; back and forth to work every day plus all the elective driving we did on a whim; just hop in the car and go.

It will be interesting to watch.

As someone who owns both of my gasoline cars I do fear sometime in the future (probably when I can LEAST afford it) I will be FORCED to purchase an ASTRONOMICALLY priced electric car where I AM NOT ALLOWED TO MAINTAIN OR REPAIR.

It's a troubling thought...

SteveAZee

Right now, its cool, hip and one can feel good to be saving the planet by having an electric car, especially if you work from home and really do not need to go anywhere..

It will be interesting to see if the electric car ever evolves into something as dependable and convenient as the daily drivers we all grew up with; back and forth to work every day plus all the elective driving we did on a whim; just hop in the car and go.

It will be interesting to watch.

As someone who owns both of my gasoline cars I do fear sometime in the future (probably when I can LEAST afford it) I will be FORCED to purchase an ASTRONOMICALLY priced electric car where I AM NOT ALLOWED TO MAINTAIN OR REPAIR.

It's a troubling thought...
We have an electric car. Daily drives are driven daily. We do trips on a whim. We plug in nightly as a habit so it's always ready, whim-wise, to go 300 miles round trip. Lots of places to charge if we decide to go farther. There's little chance anyone in an electric grid desert will be forced to go electric, prying their gas pump from their cold dead hands. Rivian, assuming they are successful, are pushing the 'adventurer' lifestyle with their trucks and SUVs and are pushing for chargers near popular off road or camping locations.

Electric cars are simpler and have a lot less things to fiddle with, or fix/repair. Plus you save money per mile (see article just above) and as volume increases and competition gets into full swing, prices will come down.

Keep those troubling thoughts though... keeps you on your toes. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member

1 - Cali hasn't made those changes YET - but CARB is working on it.. so it will happen in some degree. And in multiple steps between now and then they will adapt as needed.

2 - 'Where does it come from?' -- Where ever we work out what the acceptable solution is. Guess what, the population is growing every day.. no one is crying "hold on, stop making babies and stop immigration, where is all this electricity they will consume coming from?". The solution of large scale power generation is still going to be better than 10s of thousands of polluting cars in the California valleys.

Disstevefan1

We have an electric car. Daily drives are driven daily. We do trips on a whim. We plug in nightly as a habit so it's always ready, whim-wise, to go 300 miles round trip. Lots of places to charge if we decide to go farther. There's little chance anyone in an electric grid desert will be forced to go electric, prying their gas pump from their cold dead hands. Rivian, assuming they are successful, are pushing the 'adventurer' lifestyle with their trucks and SUVs and are pushing for chargers near popular off road or camping locations.

Electric cars are simpler and have a lot less things to fiddle with, or fix/repair. Plus you save money per mile (see article just above) and as volume increases and competition gets into full swing, prices will come down.

Keep those troubling thoughts though... keeps you on your toes. ;)
It's a wonderful time to own an electric car. The planet thanks you. Oh, its the doorbell, its Amazon, I am thankful they have not gone electric! I want my package :)

SteveAZee

It's a wonderful time to own an electric car. The planet thanks you. Oh, its the doorbell, its Amazon, I am thankful they have not gone electric! I want my package :)
LOL surprise! Amazon is a big and early investor in Rivian (electric truck and SUV startup) and Rivian is in the process of building 100,000 electric delivery trucks for Amazon.

Resistance is futile. So is impedance. ;)

mkt

Premium Member
Update.

I traded in my previous smaller EV and got a new dadwagon: the cheapest, dorkiest, and still small - but not as small - EV on the market (lest my beautiful perfect bundle of joy trash the interior).

IMG_0423.jpeg

IMG_0422.jpeg

IMG_0420.jpeg

Disstevefan1

LOL surprise! Amazon is a big and early investor in Rivian (electric truck and SUV startup) and Rivian is in the process of building 100,000 electric delivery trucks for Amazon.

Resistance is futile. So is impedance. ;)
I am back, I just picked up my Amazon packages off my stoop, right on time as I watch the big, beautiful gasoline powered Amazon truck drive away.

Impedance, yea, that what happens when the internal resistance of batteries increases over time in normal use; battery life goes down. ;)

bhg469

As a gas powered vehicle owner that has to drive a lot for work I cannot commit yet. I would be interested in an EV, specifically the Ford Lightning. My mileage varies a lot day to day and I have to drive to some remote areas in Florida. Right now, the change is impossible for me. One day maybe I will.. My personal thoughts, because I am a bit of a nerd. I know battery technology is bad. Its going to be bad for a while too.. I know the technology is being improved but I don't see it happening for a while. On the reverse side, there are no gaskets to blow, no coolant to change and less moving parts.. It's a better machine..

Currently at isney the EV parking is a joke.. They need to make a huge section, in the back of the Lot and make charging available to the needs of the massive amount of EVs coming on property. 3 Charges are the front of the lot is just stupid. There also needs to be an incentive for the users to charge and GTFO of the spots!! You don't need to park there for 6 hours when, to my knowledge, they only take a short time to charge..

WishIWasRetired

As a gas powered vehicle owner that has to drive a lot for work I cannot commit yet. I would be interested in an EV, specifically the Ford Lightning. My mileage varies a lot day to day and I have to drive to some remote areas in Florida. Right now, the change is impossible for me. One day maybe I will.. My personal thoughts, because I am a bit of a nerd. I know battery technology is bad. Its going to be bad for a while too.. I know the technology is being improved but I don't see it happening for a while. On the reverse side, there are no gaskets to blow, no coolant to change and less moving parts.. It's a better machine..

Currently at isney the EV parking is a joke.. They need to make a huge section, in the back of the Lot and make charging available to the needs of the massive amount of EVs coming on property. 3 Charges are the front of the lot is just stupid. There also needs to be an incentive for the users to charge and GTFO of the spots!! You don't need to park there for 6 hours when, to my knowledge, they only take a short time to charge..
I am not sure how they are going to get people to move their cars at MK. Depending on the crowds that can be more than an hour to leave the park take the monorail/boat to the TTC then a tram to your car move your car back to the tram and return via monorail/boat.

bhg469

I am not sure how they are going to get people to move their cars at MK. Depending on the crowds that can be more than an hour to leave the park take the monorail/boat to the TTC then a tram to your car move your car back to the tram and return via monorail/boat.
Maybe a little less carrot and a little more stick? Enforce fines maybe? Maybe have a charger that will charge a card as its plugged, not necessarily while charging. I don't know the solution but like all things lately Disney is way behind the curve. Way too few spots for the demand.

mkt

Premium Member
There also needs to be an incentive for the users to charge and GTFO of the spots!! You don't need to park there for 6 hours when, to my knowledge, they only take a short time to charge..
The chargers at Disney are level 2 chargers, which aren't fast chargers. Saying that, many public L2 and L3 (fast) chargers will charge idle fees when the car is parked and plugged, but full.

Not paying those fees is a solid financial incentive to move elsewhere once charged.

bhg469

The chargers at Disney are level 2 chargers, which aren't fast chargers. Saying that, many public L2 and L3 (fast) chargers will charge idle fees when the car is parked and plugged, but full.

Not paying those fees is a solid financial incentive to move elsewhere once charged.
This awesome info. I really hope Disney does implement those idle fees for the sake of the people that need those charges.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
1 - Cali hasn't made those changes YET - but CARB is working on it.. so it will happen in some degree. And in multiple steps between now and then they will adapt as needed.

2 - 'Where does it come from?' -- Where ever we work out what the acceptable solution is. Guess what, the population is growing every day.. no one is crying "hold on, stop making babies and stop immigration, where is all this electricity they will consume coming from?". The solution of large scale power generation is still going to be better than 10s of thousands of polluting cars in the California valleys.
They'll run out of water before electricity.

Disstevefan1

California should build power plants that burn trees. ;)
They should collect all the deadfall that cause all those explosive wildfires and burn that for power.
This way they could get rid of the deadfall AND generate electricity :)

One thing is for sure, if the deadfall is not removed from the forests, explosive wild files will continue to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom