How does Arial Transform

timoteo

Original Poster
I Voyage of the little mermaid at MGM. Does anyone know how arial transforms so quickly in a flash. Is there an old magic trick involved. I want diagrams:lol:

Legacy

I haven't seen it in a while, but if I remember correctly at one point (while Ursela is onstage, or leaving stage, something like that), a curtain slightly closes and a stage hand walks on and throws a dress on Ariel. The tale is then thrown back on her and the curtain is removed, leaving that blue dress visible under the tail. When 'the Big Transformation' happens Ariel's seat rises, smoke billows out, and the tail is pulled down, and off from within the shell she sits in. The seat lowers as she stands there, and the show continues.

One my high school chorus interns actually played her, we saw it and she provided us with a small bit of insight.

Al

Hi, i think this should have been posted in the "How do they do that?" forum :) Just remember for next time :)

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your query, but would be interested to know! :D

Sir Hiss527

Never seen the show, but hope too in the future. Hope somebody answered your question. Good Luck!

-Sir Hiss527-

"Stop Hissing in my Ear":king:

Katherine

Yeah I'm interested to know this too. She's a fish and then there's a bright flash and she's human it's really pretty neat.

timoteo

Original Poster
Someone is pullin' that tail hard and fast baby! I have seen the show 3 times and that puff and flash is about 1/4 of a second. You never see the tail move or drop. It is there and then her dress is there and she is shaking it down. I want more info. How exactly.

mkepcotmgmak

i personally don't think Ariel's legs are actually in the fins. I think that is just a mechanical prop that they lower very fast, and she is actually standing inside that rock, much like her costume in Spectro, and the Blue Fairy/Alice in MSEP... those aren't their real legs.

WDWFREAK53

I believe he was correct... She is standing in the "rock" and the fin is fake... the smoke rises from the rock hiding it...she "rises" up on a platform that she's standing on...and with the lighting and smoke effects, they hide it well.

darthdarrel

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
I believe he was correct... She is standing in the "rock" and the fin is fake... the smoke rises from the rock hiding it...she "rises" up on a platform that she's standing on...and with the lighting and smoke effects, they hide it well.
]
Darn freak you beat me to it! LOL! You are correct freak LOL!
:D

mkepcotmgmak

nope, when Alice used to sit atop the mushroom in the MSEP, and now when she sits on the Cheshire Cat in the Dreamlights parade in Tokyo, those are'nt her real legs. she is actually standing inside the big shroom... could you imagine if there were a freak accident and poor alice went rolling off the mushroom, MANY kids would be scarred for life! i can't think of them now, but i have seen Disney use this effect for several things...

darthdarrel

Originally posted by mkepcotmgmak
nope, when Alice used to sit atop the mushroom in the MSEP, and now when she sits on the Cheshire Cat in the Dreamlights parade in Tokyo, those are'nt her real legs. she is actually standing inside the big shroom... could you imagine if there were a freak accident and poor alice went rolling off the mushroom, MANY kids would be scarred for life! i can't think of them now, but i have seen Disney use this effect for several things...

Your sig is a bold face lie! :p :lol:

MicBat

Wow!! I did not know this! ::goes to watch MSEP tape:: You learn something new everyday!

guwag

That sounds like the Ursula float in Spectromagic, the CM playing Ursula has her legs either side of the head of person who drives the thing! Always makes me laugh whenever she goes past just visualising the inside of the float:D

mkepcotmgmak

yeah the ursula float in spectro is kinda freaky. i had the chance to look inside of it in the parade building, NOT MUCH ROOM AT ALL!!!
the spectro-wizards are some of the only ones i know that it seems like they would need FAKE legs, but they are real... those guys are just strapped on REAL tight...i would get dizzzzzzy!, i am trying to think if Pete is "real" or not on top of Elliot ALL the way up there...

TravisMT81

it use to be that way, it was like an elephant trunk and they had pedals for her to move them.....But in the show now they have changed it and she wears a real "fin" and it is pulled down the rock very quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom