Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBLovedDisney

Well, I did panic for a little time today until I read up on the flu virus...that is still going on in the US...and has already killed "tens of thousands" of people in the US alone...

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Well? All Personal opinion....

To understand what might occur at WDW - we need to see what HAS been done in China. Then wait to see what gets done in Japan, and France. And consider the potential effect of Corporate Liability.

The US does not yet have a serious situation. Japan & France MAY be approaching one. When this occurs, CLOSING a Park is wise.

1) It helps with the general concept of avoiding large numbers of people, in close proximity.
2) It destroys litigation claims ("You made me sick") against the Company.
3) When the initial problem is gone? There is Faith that Park X is not contaminated. An interesting one: Who wants to sail on the Diamond Princess in the near future?

Again - personal opinion? If France and Japan shut down, WDW will wait - for a while. In the end, if there is a serious US National Issue? They will shut down. They will run the numbers regarding "current" loss, vs "future" loss, over fear of a contaminated facility, and a load of lawsuits, valid or not.

The bright side? WDW can finish all the work at EPCOT & HS without interference, end up with four REAL parks, and come out of the gate running, around 2021.

NelleBelle

I think the DCL is going to potentially feel it before the US parks do—if Caribbean ports are refusing ships because one passenger has the flu (not a DCL ship), not good! Especially for Thor Mediterranean cruises coming up this summer!

durangojim

I doubt it will really. I agree that DCL would feel it before WDW would. I don't think we'll have wide spread illnesses here honestly and as weather warms it will fizzle like the flu does.
I hope you’re right. The concern is that for a good part of the country that warm weather is at least a month a way. I’m hoping that for the majority of people it will be no worse than many of the viral uris that we all experience each winter. What I’m afraid of is that the number of deaths coming out of China isn’t accurate. I’m watching what is happening in South Korea and Europe very closely.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The hype will severely impact Disney. If/When a case or series of cases breaks near Disney (or worse - In Disney) it might get scary.

The Hospitality Industry is taking a beating. Take a look at Cruise Line stocks, Airline stocks, etc. Even Live Nation is getting hammered (as is most everybody else). People don't want to be in large groups. Especially in large groups of people from all over the world that may or may not be infected. Hopefully spring/summer and warm weather neutralize the virus. But without a vaccine or type of medication that can at the very least control the symptoms, it's going to flare up again next winter.

I disagree that DCL will decidedly "feel it first". They may. But it's a crap shoot at this point. You're weighing 2000+ confined on a cruise ship vs 1,000s in close proximity at the various resorts and 10's of thousands in the same close proximity roaming the various parks, herded together in queues. DCL may be first, WDW may be first, UO may be first, or it may be the Hampton Inn on Palm Pkwy. Nobody knows.

Lilofan

The hype will severely impact Disney. If/When a case or series of cases breaks near Disney (or worse - In Disney) it might get scary.

The Hospitality Industry is taking a beating. Take a look at Cruise Line stocks, Airline stocks, etc. Even Live Nation is getting hammered (as is most everybody else). People don't want to be in large groups. Especially in large groups of people from all over the world that may or may not be infected. Hopefully spring/summer and warm weather neutralize the virus. But without a vaccine or type of medication that can at the very least control the symptoms, it's going to flare up again next winter.

I disagree that DCL will decidedly "feel it first". They may. But it's a crap shoot at this point. You're weighing 2000+ confined on a cruise ship vs 1,000s in close proximity at the various resorts and 10's of thousands in the same close proximity roaming the various parks, herded together in queues. DCL may be first, WDW may be first, UO may be first, or it may be the Hampton Inn on Palm Pkwy. Nobody knows.
People are so paranoid that even Chinese dining places in my area have slow business because people are afraid to enter and eat.

correcaminos

I hope you’re right. The concern is that for a good part of the country that warm weather is at least a month a way. I’m hoping that for the majority of people it will be no worse than many of the viral uris that we all experience each winter. What I’m afraid of is that the number of deaths coming out of China isn’t accurate. I’m watching what is happening in South Korea and Europe very closely.
Well where there are more concerns it's warmer weather already. Places like FL are in good shape too. I'm in the midwest and we're trending warmer at least where these viruses don't survive as well.

We have so many people telling us Chinese are bad that we are starting to believe it. I don't think that's fair to them TBH.

I will say while this strain is new, people forget that coronaviruses are not. This one is more unique in that children are not being affected much. We had a really bad strain hit a classroom last year. About 1/2 the kids were out at once. Maybe 2/3 of the class total was affected. In our house, 2 out of 3 showed symptoms. I was likely a carrier and didn't know it. I worry more for elderly and immune-compromised and seemingly smokers as well. That was discussed very much about this virus how men are more severely hit with it and over half the Chinese men are reported as smokers. Children are not being affected much, which is unique but good for schools in general.

I will watch, but not really care. The flu was horrible here this year and we've been washing hands and such which is the best line of defense.

Kamikaze

Just heard today from a local hotel that they are getting tons of cancellations. We've had no cases in our state.

MAGICFLOP

Well where there are more concerns it's warmer weather already. Places like FL are in good shape too. I'm in the midwest and we're trending warmer at least where these viruses don't survive as well.

True, but Person to person transmission may be different in this strain.. There are now cases of relapse with a few weeks of asymptomatic. Many cases of people completely asymptomatic and just carriers.. Right now not enough is known.. Vaccine in the pipe line, but if it is a mutating strain, like influenza, next years vaccine may not be viable.. its a crap shoot...

correcaminos

True, but Person to person transmission may be different in this strain.. There are now cases of relapse with a few weeks of asymptomatic. Many cases of people completely asymptomatic and just carriers.. Right now not enough is known.. Vaccine in the pipe line, but if it is a mutating strain, like influenza, next years vaccine may not be viable.. its a crap shoot...
I view this differently so to each their own on level of paranoia on if we're all going to be ill. I'm not doing a whataboutism here truly, but the flu worries me more since it was literally more deadly this year. Yet I am not losing sleep over it either.

GinaD613

I speculate that Diamond Princess germs spread through the HVAC system. That’s much less of a concern at WDW, except for indoor attractions, eg HoP, Philharmagic. Even hotel rooms probably have fresh air sources, even if not individually for each room.

Personally, I think Chicken Little stories sell more media advertising, but maybe I’m just getting cynical in my dotage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom