How do they make those pins wink?

zonguy

Original Poster
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone can provide any details about the technique used to activate the new 100th BD pins. My theory is that they (Disney) use infra-red transmitters. This seems like the easiest way to do it, since most of the show areas already have large ir transmitter panels for the hearing impaired/translation head sets.

Should this be the case, the next thing would be to take one of those learning universal remotes to the parks, and try to capture the command.

What can I say? I just like doing stuff like that....

Any input would be appreciated.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Infra-red will require line of sight from the transmitter to receiver... that wouldnt work in a crowded environment. It has to be some kind of radio wave, with a tiny reciever in the badge. They did well to get the cost as low as they did. :)

zonguy

Original Poster
OK... Here's the scoop so far... I sprang for one of the pins... ($16!) I am sitting here with it in pieces (I can't help myself, I am just too curious). I can confirm that the activation is via IR. There is an IR receiver/processor labled U2. There is a crystal (2Mhz?), and a few caps and resisters. The main processor is potted, so I cannot tell what it is... Not that I expect that to help...

Now the challenge. We have to find a way to store the activation sequence into a universal/learning remote. This has to be possible.

Anyone up to the challenge?

WEDMagic

yeah I have one too Yet I didnt rip apart my pin its too fun to look at..but anyway if you look at each one there is a dark hole in a location on each under the plastic idealisticly a recieved for IR or otherwise. When I had it in my car I passed a traffic light that uses the sensors like they use for automatic doors and besides it setting off my car radar detector my pin starting lighting up like crazy. So considering the technologies are close. who knows

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yep it is definately IR and not radio wave. I had some info from someone testing them a few days ago confirming the fact. That explains why they are able to do it so cheaply.

I wonder how it gets on in the crowded park conditions? I cant imagine IR being all that good in those conditions - especially in bright sunlight.

zonguy

Original Poster
On further review, I was playing with the kiosks at Disney Studios (under the hat), and discovered the that IR emitter is behind one of the stars that surround the monitor. If you look closely, the star almost directly above the screen looks different from the others. This would appear to be where the emitter is. I experimented with covering the star, while selecting the correct answer, and the pin would not wink.

Next trip, I am going to take one of my learning remotes, and see if I can successfully capture the sequence, so I can re-produce it at will.

I don't have a camera yet, but when I do get one I will try to take some shots of this stuff and post them here.

zonguy

Original Poster
Ok, I may have to give up on this. I seem to have successfully captured one of the activation sequences with my learning remote. It took quite some effort. There seems to be two distinct burst from the IR emitter in the kiosk. My remote would not complete the entire sequence. I think it is because there was too much time between the first and second sequence. I was using a cheap Memorex remote. I have a better one, but it is too expensive to risk losing it in the park.

I was able to get the remote to capture the second burst, but it does not activate anything on my pin, so I suspect that both bursts are required. Also, I noticed for the first time that there are several different wink patterns in the pins. Depending on what question you answered correctly, a different sequence would appear. the sequence matches the simulated pins on the kiosk.

Anyway, I finally have a camera and have taken some pictures of the inside of the pins for any curious souls.

Attachments

• inside1-s.jpg
    inside1-s.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 382

Ludwig

zonguy,

I was told by a cast member that several of the CMs have activators which look like small black remotes. These "activators" have two sequences. It might be worth asking one of the CMs if they would allow you to "learn" the sequences. I know you don't want to risk your more valuable remote, but if I had known about the IR before my last trip, I would have brought my Pronto for an attempt or two.

Thanks for your efforts

Ludwig

zonguy

Original Poster
Can any of the Castmembers on this board confirm that these activators exist? The only Castmember I know down here was part time, and she has been furlowed from AK.

DisneyGal

These pins are awesome! I bought them all and found that they were a great investment!! Watching them light up at random moments on rides and during parades was great!!

wdwcrazy

Just bringing this back to life. One of my pins is stuck on. Even when I take the batteries out and put them back in the lights still blink like crazy. Anyone know what to do?

MeTa

Does anyone have a pick of the front of this pin, I have never seen it and would like to know what it is.

Thanks

Gurgi

WAIT A SEC GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

All the gadgets inside the pin are a coverup !!! the pins actually use pixie dust to operate!

Come on peeps im ashamed!

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom