How do they keep the snow so white?

FettFan

Original Poster
One of the major problems with living in the Deep South is that algae grows almost everywhere, given our high humidity. Case in point: we had a shed built in our backyard a little over a year ago...and now the the white siding on it is starting to turn green and yellow with algae.
garage%20narrow%201-resized-600.jpg

Pictured: not my shed.

It's easy to clean...we just use a little bit of bleach and a pressure washer.

But...how do they manage to keep algae off all of the "snow" surfaces (Expedition Everest, Blizzard Beach, Hogsmeade rooftops, etc) at WDW and Uni?

Unlike Space Mountain's roof, which is low and large enough that crew will strap on climbing gear to clean it every so often, a lot of these attractions are built in such a way that it would seem that instead of mere cleaning, an all-out refurb and new paint job would be in order, ala the Matterhorn.

Is there some type of coating they use to prevent algae from growing in the first place? Or do they actually have an overnight crew in climbing gear every so often to keep everything bright and white?

BlizzardBeachSlide.jpg

"Excuse me, sir? But would you mind laying back on this brush while you go down? Thanks."

RonAnnArbor

Is there some type of coating they use to prevent algae from growing in the first place? Or do they actually have an overnight crew in climbing gear every so often to keep everything bright and white?

The answer is BOTH --- materials that don't grow fungus that fast, AND regular cleaning and repainting

Rob562

It also doesn't hurt that they can close the park for 2 months out of the year to clean and refurb it...

-Rob

Bairstow

I wonder if they were to build Blizzard Beach today they would use some of the newer ground-glass coating techniques Universal used for the Hogsmeade village roofs, to make more realistic snow surfaces, or if given the park's function if the glistening snow would be too bright to look at or too reflective for comfort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom