How Do The Characters Manage In This Heat?

RiversideBunny

Original Poster
It's been mentioned before I'm sure, but considering how hot is here today and how hot it is in many parts of the US,
how do the costumed characters manage to stay out in the parks meeting guests for more than 10 minutes without keeling over from heat exhaustion?

Are the costumes cooler than they look or do the characters just pick out shady places?

:)

disneyfan1966

When we were there last summer each CM only stayed in costume for 30 min at a time (and I think this included the walk back and forth from the air conditioning) - they had more than one CM dressed as the same character and would swap them out back in the air conditioned portions of the buildings that were close. This is what I was told by one of the character "helpers" when they had to swap out while we were in line for pix. This may not be true, so please don't anyone bash me too bad - I am just repeating what I was told.

MonorailFreak

a) I love how threads get so off topic so fast. that being said, yeah the characters are switched out very frequently. Don't feel to bad for them, it's great for their pores.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
a) I love how threads get so off topic so fast. that being said, yeah the characters are switched out very frequently. Don't feel to bad for them, it's great for their pores.

b) now onto the "new" thread. i cannot believe that people actually think that global warming is made up. it's amazing the amount of ignorance that runs rampant through this nation.

a. Every thirty minutes like somene mentioned earlier

WDWKat26

We deal with it. That's how we manage. On behalf of other characters as well, when you come to visit a character, please don't say or ask any of the following:
"WOW you must be SO HOT in there!"
"Are you hot under there?"
"Do you have air conditioning or fans in those suits?"
"Try to stay cool! Hahaha"
"Geez, you must be sweating in there. Is it really that hot?"

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
It's been mentioned before I'm sure, but considering how hot is here today and how hot it is in many parts of the US,
how do the costumed characters manage to stay out in the parks meeting guests for more than 10 minutes without keeling over from heat exhaustion?

Are the costumes cooler than they look or do the characters just pick out shady places?

:)
back on topic.

You get used to it.

I was told on Keys to the Kingdom that it takes 40 minutes for the body to cool down, so the shifts are actually only 20 minutes...which would mean that there are 3 identical characters

Breakdown
Character 1: minute 0- 20
Character 2: minute 20-40
Character 3: minute 40-60
Character 1: minute 0-20

and so on...

also, we were told that when the "helper" comes up with a story as to why the character is leaving....they alert the next character in case a child asks a question about why they left (enabling appropriate answer)

majortom1981

hmm

I have played a character. Not a disney one but same type of suit (it was yogi bear).

We couldnt stay i nthe costume long and we had a vest that had pockets for ice packs. 4 pockets in the front and four in the back.

I don't know if disney has these vests or not .

I do feel for these characters. I used to be in a professional costume like that and it got real hot and the head was heavy.

How long the characters stay outside depends on the time of year and the temperature. And trust me, there are no cooling devices involved of any kind.

majortom1981

How long the characters stay outside depends on the time of year and the temperature. And trust me, there are no cooling devices involved of any kind.

Wh ydont they have an icepack vest? I know I used one when I was in a yogi bear costume. This was a professional costume a kin to the disney costumes not some scrappy costume that you can find anywhere.

Is there any specific reason why they dont use it?

Figments Friend

We deal with it. That's how we manage. On behalf of other characters as well, when you come to visit a character, please don't say or ask any of the following:
"WOW you must be SO HOT in there!"
"Are you hot under there?"
"Do you have air conditioning or fans in those suits?"
"Try to stay cool! Hahaha"
"Geez, you must be sweating in there. Is it really that hot?"

Absolutely! NEVER ever ask any of these questions if you want a character to "perform" for you! Nothing kills the enthusiasim more then hearing these dreaded phrases...lol!

I have been very close "friends" with several well known mascot characters ( all non-Disney...sadly!) and it is just something you get used to. Your body adjusts to the temps better when you expose yourself to the element for longer periods. There is always a breaking in point when you start out..but it does not take you long to adjust and come to terms with what many consider "uncomfortable". It does not bother me much now...and i have done 45 min to well over an hour stints with no problem. Sure i feel hot and sweaty after all is said and done, but the feeling you get from making all those people happy makes it worth your while.

I only feel really hot when i remove my first costume peice. Then it hits me...but when i am performing and fully dressed to do so, i very rarely think about being hot. My mind tends to focus more on performing and what is going on "out there". You have to focus on that really, as it is important in delivering a good presence. There are times when i have been in extreme conditions and have felt weary and too hot...usually parades i have done in some local towns....and then it becomes a issue. Luckily i have never had any serious cases of becoming too overheated...but when you have some experience already you know your limits and your safety net ranges.

I love it, when i get to play the part. It does take a lot out of you, but it is always worth it on a personal level. You get a buzz off of making someones day, or surprising a child in a good way. Nothing beats the excitement of families getting thrilled at the sight of you, and knowing who "you" are. It's a awesome experience, but like many fields in entertainment in general, it's not for everyone.

Figments Friend

Wh ydont they have an icepack vest? I know I used one when I was in a yogi bear costume. This was a professional costume a kin to the disney costumes not some scrappy costume that you can find anywhere.

I have used the ice vests performing as non-Disney mascots, and i have to say that they actually made me feel hotter then i normally would with just my t-shirt and shorts on.

Usually the ice packs are only really good for about 20 mins....once they warm up against your body and start to melt you are in trouble. For me anyway, after 20 mins the extra weight and added nuisence of having what is basically a piece of sewn nylon wrapped tightly around you with plasic water packs strapped to your chest area is not my idea of cool anymore! LOL! So i stopped using the ice vest option long ago. Most people think i'm nuts for not using one....but i feel much cooler without it.

Hey, sounds like i would be right at home at the Disney Zoo then!

:D

WDWKat26

Because honestly, ice does nothing for our furry friends. It melts, and ends up just being extra weight to lug around. Plus, 20 minutes isn't as long as it seems.

AEfx

You would be shocked how widespread that belief is, almost as widespread as the Walt is Frozen myth.

AEfx

mkt

Premium Member
Because honestly, ice does nothing for our furry friends. It melts, and ends up just being extra weight to lug around. Plus, 20 minutes isn't as long as it seems.
and the gel packs they use have a bad habit of getting warm on exceptionally hot days... so you have lovely red spots on your body where the gel packs were.

mkt

Premium Member
I was told on Keys to the Kingdom that it takes 40 minutes for the body to cool down, so the shifts are actually only 20 minutes...which would mean that there are 3 identical characters

Breakdown
Character 1: minute 0- 20
Character 2: minute 20-40
Character 3: minute 40-60
Character 1: minute 0-20

and so on...

also, we were told that when the "helper" comes up with a story as to why the character is leaving....they alert the next character in case a child asks a question about why they left (enabling appropriate answer)
only during the warm season. Otherwise, outdoors it's 30 on/30 off. Indoors, it can be up to 45 on/45 off.

JML42691

...also, we were told that when the "helper" comes up with a story as to why the character is leaving....they alert the next character in case a child asks a question about why they left (enabling appropriate answer)

Kind of like the popular excuse for pluto..."He went to get his bone because he is a good dog."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom