How bout some new BIG rides?!

Champion

To me that just doesnt make sense to me. Why close and change a ride thats popularity is through the roof and nowhere near bad. If its gonna cost just as much to make a new e ticket, why not be creative and make a new e ticket somewhere else in the park, spruce up attendance in adventureland or something. There were rumors about a fire mountain or something in AL, put the money there, dont destroy something that doesnt need to be destroyed.

Im afraid that if they do change SM that they'll make a rrnrc v2 with a space theme, and that would suck. rrnrc already isnt that great of a coaster, its loud and short, and if they do that to sm, blaring all that loud noise in your ear, you'll just have a rrnrc in tomorrowland.

Because it needs a refurbishment badly. The track isn't in the greatest shape.

RnRC loud? Uhh, well isn't that the point? And it really isn't that loud.

They won't do 'Rockin Space Mountain' like at DLR. They may change it to a single track, or something like that, but that remains to be seen.

In other words, a place where "a daddy could take his two daughters and have a little fun himself..." At times I think that philosophy has been forgotten. Disney doesn't need loops and heavy G-forces...they need more immersive family adventures.

Wrong. They need BOTH. Remember that when Walt was around, things like 'loops and heavy G-forces' just weren't done. Anywhere. And, believe it or not, Walt was around for the Matterhorn. Which was at the time, basically, the most advanced coaster anywhere. So saying 'thrill' rides isn't something Walt would have wanted is false.

Matpez

The thing about e ticket rides is that they eliminate a large percentage of guests ie Children under 48 inches and the heart attack crew (Children and Grandparents).

Nope... only "thrill rides" do that. "E ticket" is not synonymous with "thrill ride".
Soarin', for example, is most certainly an E ticket.

:)

tirian

No, MK needs its current attractions refurbished. It maybe needs ONE more E-Ticket. But it needs refurbishments more.

That's exactly what management thinks, and the reason that nothing substantial will be added until the current classics are fully refurbished.

Champion

That's exactly what management thinks, and the reason that nothing substantial will be added until the current classics are fully refurbished.

And you disagree? Some of the attractions are in pretty bad shape. The Studios need new attractions more than MK does.

tirian

Remember that when Walt was around, things like 'loops and heavy G-forces' just weren't done. Anywhere. And, believe it or not, Walt was around for the Matterhorn. Which was at the time, basically, the most advanced coaster anywhere. So saying 'thrill' rides isn't something Walt would have wanted is false.

I agree. Frankly, I think that Walt would make sure that he had the most cutting-edge technology for shows, family-friendly rides, and coasters if he were still alive. Right now, WDI is playing catch-up to other ride developers.

CThaddeus

Wrong. They need BOTH. Remember that when Walt was around, things like 'loops and heavy G-forces' just weren't done. Anywhere. And, believe it or not, Walt was around for the Matterhorn. Which was at the time, basically, the most advanced coaster anywhere. So saying 'thrill' rides isn't something Walt would have wanted is false.

First, I never said there shouldn't be "thrill" rides. Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Snow White are "thrill" rides, as they attempt to scare you to a small degree. My argument is against slapping in lame, barely-themed looping roller coasters and vomit-inducing simulators just for the sake of appealing to the daredevil types.
Next, while the Matterhorn was indeed the most advanced coaster of its time, it wasn't by any stretch of the imagination much of a thrill ride. Roller coasters had been around for more than 30 years before his mountain was built, most of which included huge drops and sometimes major G-forces. Now take a look at the Matterhorn. There are little dips here and there, but mostly you just get jerked around a lot. As an indicator of how wild it is, it has the exact same height requirement as Toontown's Gadget Go Coaster - 35" (I don't know that there was even a height requirement on the Matterhorn when it opened). There is a different between the "thrill rides" Walt created and, say, Rock n' Rollercoaster. His thrill rides were ones the whole family could enjoy (though I'm sure some sat them out...I didn't go Haunted Mansion until my father forced me to, either), not ones that required you to be at least 4 feet tall to ride and not easily prone to nausea.
Would Walt allow vomit comets and loops if he were alive today? I don't know. My gut reaction is no, since again, he wanted to create attractions for the whole family. But then his attitude toward things tended to change over time, so who knows.

righttrack

Demographically speaking, Disney knows its marketplace. We have a wide audience here. Disney doesn't aim for the teens-20s demo like Six Flags does. It aims to provide a unique experience for the 2-80s demo and it does this by thrilling in other ways. We will soon witness, if we haven't already, a 3rd generation of parents bringing their children to WDW. Its bigger and better than it ever was. If I want thrill rides, I'll go to Hershey, Six Flags, etc. If I want magic, we go to WDW.

As for enhancements, I think they just need to continue to find new and exciting ways of renewing the real estate they have, to maximize flow of people and enjoyment. Another E ticket would be nice, but I'd say that the last few have excluded the youngest and oldest in the marketplace. What they really need is a new attraction of that level that has 6-60 appeal.

I hope that WDW's space mountain is redone comparably to DLR's. After returning from my first trip to DLR and riding theirs, I was blown away by how smooth and new the ride felt. The soundtrack for the coaster was amazing too. WDW's is very rickety and jerky and I think a major refurb for a loved attraction is worth every penny

Hummer1676

SM definetly needs to be refurbished. Along with the re-themeing of MGM. Here is my list of what I think will be done in order.

1. SSE refurb.
2. Toy Story Mania
3. Star Tours Refurb
4. Re-theme MGM with lots (Pixar, Lucasfilm, Disney Animation, so on)
5. Space Mountain Refurb. redefine Tomorrowland same time. Maybe tie in Wall-E
6. Imagination Refurb.
7. Jungle Cruise Refurb. (after movie comes out)
8. New Indiana Jones show/ride (tie into new movie) MGM
9. Add 2 new World Showcases.

AEfx

I hope that WDW's space mountain is redone comparably to DLR's. After returning from my first trip to DLR and riding theirs, I was blown away by how smooth and new the ride felt. The soundtrack for the coaster was amazing too. WDW's is very rickety and jerky and I think a major refurb for a loved attraction is worth every penny

We won't get a fancy launch like theirs, but I have a feeling when all is said and done ours will be the flagship in terms of effects.

It's a darn long time coming. I know a certain segment of museum-wishers want it to remain as is, but the thing is in bad shape all around. For such a tame coaster it throws you around very unnecessarily. I haven't ridden it in several years because it's just not fun anymore.

I dislike the "What Walt Would Do..." discussion most of the time (talking for dead people is not only irrelevant but impossible), but have to agree we'd see many more "thrills" available if he had remained longer. I'm glad someone pointed out the Matterhorn - the first steel coaster - which was done under his guidance.

Heck, if he HAD lived, does anyone honestly think, for instance, Sleeping Beauty castle would still exist in it's current form? Nah, as soon as WDW was done they would have demolished it and built a bigger one. No way would Walt have stood for the HUGE inequities between the castles, just because one was original to park opening. Yet if one suggested they do it now half of the Disney Internet community would die of heart attacks instantly just at the thought.

Progress is great; it's the spirit to keep.

AEfx

ryguy

Nope... only "thrill rides" do that. "E ticket" is not synonymous with "thrill ride".
Soarin', for example, is most certainly an E ticket.

:)

You're right, was talking about coasters because thats what the OP was talking about. :wave: Although my kids are still unable to go on Soarin for height reasons.

Champion

First, I never said there shouldn't be "thrill" rides. Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Snow White are "thrill" rides, as they attempt to scare you to a small degree. My argument is against slapping in lame, barely-themed looping roller coasters and vomit-inducing simulators just for the sake of appealing to the daredevil types.
Next, while the Matterhorn was indeed the most advanced coaster of its time, it wasn't by any stretch of the imagination much of a thrill ride. Roller coasters had been around for more than 30 years before his mountain was built, most of which included huge drops and sometimes major G-forces. Now take a look at the Matterhorn. There are little dips here and there, but mostly you just get jerked around a lot. As an indicator of how wild it is, it has the exact same height requirement as Toontown's Gadget Go Coaster - 35" (I don't know that there was even a height requirement on the Matterhorn when it opened). There is a different between the "thrill rides" Walt created and, say, Rock n' Rollercoaster. His thrill rides were ones the whole family could enjoy (though I'm sure some sat them out...I didn't go Haunted Mansion until my father forced me to, either), not ones that required you to be at least 4 feet tall to ride and not easily prone to nausea.
Would Walt allow vomit comets and loops if he were alive today? I don't know. My gut reaction is no, since again, he wanted to create attractions for the whole family. But then his attitude toward things tended to change over time, so who knows.

So you're saying that RnRC is anywhere close to the most 'extreme' (Hate that word, but it fits here) rides out there? Not even close. It is more 'thrilling' than Dumbo, but it is nothing like Kingda Ka or any ride close to that.

Rock'N Roller Coaster is a GREAT first looping coaster for young ones. Wouldn't you rather have them experience that first and not some insane Six Flags coaster?

primetime52

I think it's hilarious how one of the dullest threads I've ever seen (no offense to the original poster :wave: ) Can somehow be turned in to an intelligent and heated discussion. Just goes to show that there is no such thing as a bad thread on these boards.

WED10IA

I would like to see Disney build an E ticket at MGM with Indiana Jones. Almost all their other parks have cool Indy rides and the biggest just has a stunt show....Also does anyone else wonder why their is no Fastpass for Pirates of The Carribean?

And when they do refurb Space Mountain will the TTA shut down too? Otherwise that would be pretty cool to watch the construction and refurbishment from the TTA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom