How bad is July/August?

jmani56

Original Poster
I was thinking of going for a long weekend in July or August, but I keep hearing that it's way too hot and the crowds are unbearable. How bad is it really? I always go in the off season so I have never really had a bad experience with crowds. How long of waits can I expect for popular rides?

Thanks everyone.

disneydiva72

I'm going to be hardcore....I love Disney and I go every year, but there is NOTHING there that I would wait 2 hours to ride for 3 minutes, and you feel like you are 2 miles from the sun and breathing makes you sweat.

BRER DAD

I go every August. Its hot, but the crowds are not to bad. I have never really waited more then a half hour for anything. I enjoy the hot weather as we dont get much in NY. I carry a towel with me to wipe any sweat off with. I have also been in July, and its just like August.

DizneyPryncess

I, like you, always went in the off season. Then this past year I went during Easter week, which I have heard is comparable to July/August weeks. I personally thought it was awful w/the crowds, but that may be because I'm used to off season. We skipped a lot of rides because of over hour long waits. I think if you use fast pass, go when the park opens, utilize EMH's...you can get on the rides that you prioritize.

I almost always visit Dinsey in July and or August! Im from NJ and the weather down there is not that much different than whats going on at home in the summertime! Yeah its hot but its Disney ...I seem to forget the heat! You do spend a great deal of time going from air conditioning to air conditioning. As for the crowds it is much busier than the off peek times but if you use your fast passes and plan well I found that waits are minimal! We always have a blast!:dazzle:

disneymyway

For me there is no bad time to go to WDW, but my August trip was the rainiest trip ever. It was rainy beyond the usual daily Florida shower. It was monsoony. If that's a word.

Still - who cares? I was in WDW!!!

jmicro59

We go every year in July for our DD's B'day. We spend two weeks and teh crowds are large, the weather hot and I mean HOT. But we always have a great time. Use the early park openings when you can and get ready for long lines. As long as you set your expectations properly and you know how to "do" the parks you'll be fine.

DivineMadness7

Let me put it this way. If you can go another time of the year, go then. If you can only go in July/August, it really isn't too bad. You just need to realize you won't see as much in a day as you would at a cooler/less crowded time of year. As long as you can accept that, you should be fine.

The later into August you can go, the better. I have been there the 3rd week of July and in August twice. Last year we went the 2nd week of August, it was hot but the crowds were tolerable when compared to when I had gone in July. Just be smart, take lots of breaks and drink lots of water.

Tinkerbella16

We avoid any of the summer months, especially July and August because of the weather, crowds, tour groups, etc... I'd rather go in the Fall where the weather is great, you can dress comfortably, the crowds are very lite and we can take our time during our entire stay. Thats just us though. I have been to WDW in June, July, and August and remember it being so hot and humid..it was just too uncomfortable to enjoy some things. The lines are long, and if we wanted to get a fastpass, the return time would be late at night, if they hadn't run out completely already. I know it shouldn't matter bc we're in disney and we should just be happy, but sometimes it is too brudel for all that. The rain showers don't bother me...most of the time they don't last long, and people start to leave the park thinking that it won't stop for hours lol...so that is always good!

PeoplemoverTTA

I have been to WDW twice in mid-August (2005 and 2006) and it was definitely hot, but the crowds weren't too terrible. I was also there in July 2000, and will be going back July 2009 (we're going to be restricted for family trips now since my sister is a school librarian).

It is definitely going to be hot and rainy, but IMO, it's how you approach the whole thing. Bring a poncho and look at the rain as an opportunity to walk on what all the rides while the chickens run for cover.

Use the heat as an excuse to see HoP for the first time (or 10th time) in five years. Or better yet, as an excuse to get a Mickey bar or a sundae from Auntie Gravity's (my mom's favorite in the World).

As far as the lines go, we combat those any time of year by getting up insanely early to get into the parks at opening (or EMH). You can hit several major attractions before the majority of crowds (and the worst part of the day weather-wise) hits. Then, go back to the hotel for a dip and/or a nap, check out the BW shops (and Seashore Sweets, yum), or DTD.

Then, when the heat is tempering off and it begins to get dark, take your re-charged selves back into the parks to get on whatever you missed. Stay until park closing (regular or EMH)...you can get in a queue until literally the minute the park closes! Just as you're hitting your PM stride, all the weary people who've been in the parks all day will be heading out. Also, if you have already seen parades and fireworks, use those times to get on especially popular rides.

Now, in the busy summer season, it's not going to be dead at night, but the crowds will be substantially better than during the day, and without the heat exacerbating any grumpiness, you'll feel a million times better than if you were sitting in a 90 minute PP queue at 2:30 in the afternoon :)

azzureblue

Completely depends on what you're used to.

We usually take the whole family during Thanksgiving week. Awesome weather, not too hot, but still warm enough to enjoy a dip in the pool and the kids love going to the waterparks. Crowds gradually get heavier before Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving Day itself is a gamble. Last year EPCOT was just about empty on Thanksgiving Day. We leave the Friday after.

My wife and I usually go for a long weekend in early February. It's a bit cool - lows in the 30's highs in the 70's. Park hours are much shorter, fewer buses running, etc., but crowds are non-existent (other than the cheerleaders and dance teams that are there for their National Championships). Room rates are cheaper as well with many discounts for AP holders.

My wife and I just got back from an impromptu, 20th Anniversary Trip. We were there 6/29 - 7/3. Our anniversary is 7/2 if anyone's wondering. Highs were around 90, higher humidity, but not unbearable. Lows only dropped into the mid 70's. Crowds were huge. 60 minute standby waits for all major attractions, standing on buses and monorails, no chance of table service meals without ADR. Still, with proper planning we had a great time and rode just about everything taking advantage of fastpasses and EMH.

One last comment - Toy Story Midway Mania is AWESOME!!! It's still new and breaksdown frequently, but definetly cool. Attention to detail in the queue and on Pixar Place is exceptional. No detail was overlooked!

SiriusBlack

Last time me and my fam went was in August. We were VERY SURPRISED at how short the lines were. The most we had to wait for a ride was 30 mins I'd say, though we were never at the parks midday. It was a really nice trip.

Going back again this august and am super pumped about it:)

I always usually go in August and i find that it's always really hot, and you rarely get any rain. Last year when i went it didn't rain once in the two weeks that we were there. I don't usually like really hot weather, but considering that it pretty much rains most of the time where i live in England, it makes a nice change :)

As for the queues, i don't think that they are that bad to be quite honest. However, if you head for the lines around midday then they seem to get longer. Most people might turn up at the parks at that time, i don't know. We make sure to make the most of the fast passes early in the day.

We're going in July this year for the first time in a long time, i'm just wondering what it's going to be like in contrast to August :)

DisneyGigi

We go in late August after most schools are back in session so the crowds are great. (I am sure it is a very different story while school is out) As far as the weahter goes: still very hot but it doesn't really bother me. We still go all day strong all day long. Just make sure you drink alot of water.

alilance

I went early August last year on my honeymoon. Overall we did have a great time, but (yes that's a but) there were some concerns. I thought it wouldn't be too crowded. I was wrong. It wasn't "school vacation" crowded, but there were pretty long waits. For the popular rides, you HAVE to get there for opening and either go on the rides right away or get fast passes right away. My husband and I didn't get on Soarin' until day 9 because we were lazy and didn't get to the parks early. BUT, the waiting wasn't so much a problem as the heat/humidity was. Unfortunately we did hit a heat wave that week. (We have friends who live in Florida and they wouldn't leave their air conditioned house that week!) I was sweating in places that I couldn't think you could sweat from!!! But you know what, it's Walt Disney World and your gonna have a great time regardless!!!!! Have fun!!!:wave:

peterpangirl_22

my first trip to wdw was at the end of july/beginning of august and it was nice. the crowds weren't crazy but it was really hot out. And on our third trip we went in july and it was insane! it was extremely hot, it rained like crazy (it was so bad the day we went to universal we were trapped in a store for an hour) and worst of all there were tons of tour groups with 200 young adults that you had to race to get to the lines for rides. i'd have to say the best time to go is in august, that's when we're going on our next trip for my 18th birthday on the 22nd of august and i can't wait!

disneymyway

I always usually go in August and i find that it's always really hot, and you rarely get any rain. Last year when i went it didn't rain once in the two weeks that we were there. I don't usually like really hot weather, but considering that it pretty much rains most of the time where i live in England, it makes a nice change :)

)

I believe you that you've had good weather when you've been there but the average rainfall for August is about as high as it gets for Florida and it is technically hurricane season so there can be bad storms.

None of this information stops me from going - you just kind of take your chances though.

AEfx

You could not pay me to go then. Ridiculous crowds, crazy heat, I just don't see a "win" in there for me, so I avoid it like the plague.

AEfx

crxbrett

I have only been to WDW in July and August (been 8 times) and honestly it wasn't all that bad. It is hot and muggy and sometimes it rains a lot (some years are wet, some are not that bad, but the rain cools you down). Crowds are big but not unbearable (crowds at Disneyland at Xmas times are way worse). The only rides that had long waits the last time I went (July 06) were Soarin and Everest (both were 90 minutes at peak times, which to me isn't horrible). I love going in summer (the parks are open longer and I love the thunderstorms), but I don't think it's for everybody. I have thought about going in October or maybe April for a short trip but I alwasy end up changing my mind and going in summer for the longer vacation (easier to get time off during the summer for me).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom