"House of Magic" Returns to Main Street Magic Kingdom

RSoxNo1

We can always dream what you said above is true. Dream-you know like Disney’s founder always inspired us ( and his company) to do!

This renovation got me to thinking that the House of Magic location could serve a dual role as check-in for the Sorcerers of the MK game and also have some magic shop Merchandise like the DL magic shop does. This would free up the Main Street fire house to go back to an exhibit space ( and one more step in removing the Walmart feel Main Street currently has). The sorcerer check in as it currently stands is an abomination in the fire house.
That's a fantastic idea, but I'm sure they'd value that area more as retail space.

mikejs78

Premium Member
We can always dream what you said above is true. Dream-you know like Disney’s founder always inspired us ( and his company) to do!

This renovation got me to thinking that the House of Magic location could serve a dual role as check-in for the Sorcerers of the MK game and also have some magic shop Merchandise like the DL magic shop does. This would free up the Main Street fire house to go back to an exhibit space ( and one more step in removing the Walmart feel Main Street currently has). The sorcerer check in as it currently stands is an abomination in the fire house.

I went to WDW three times when I was young (< 18), the last time being 1994. The next time I went was for my honeymoon in 2004, and the thing that disappointed me the most was how Main Street had changed. Gone were the cinema, the penny arcade, the magic shop, and in its place was just a standard gift shop. Any move that brings us closer to the Main Street USA of my childhood is welcome.

durangojim

I was a magic fan when I was a kid and a highlight of any wdw trip was getting something from the magic shop. One year when I was about 10 my parents let me bring a friend on our trip to Disney for spring break. We bought these fake rings at the magic shop that sprayed water and had a blast standing in the ride lines spraying unsuspecting adults. Such fun times! This is a pic of a skull I bought there as a kid.
813725B1-56FC-491E-9D10-D2978299E13D.jpeg

badrew

There may be hope, at the MK today and the entrance from Main Street is now closed off with a construction wall, wasn’t like that Monday. Was on the opposite side, so haven’t gotten a chance to check it out further.

TrojanUSC

I went to WDW three times when I was young (< 18), the last time being 1994. The next time I went was for my honeymoon in 2004, and the thing that disappointed me the most was how Main Street had changed. Gone were the cinema, the penny arcade, the magic shop, and in its place was just a standard gift shop. Any move that brings us closer to the Main Street USA of my childhood is welcome.

The larger issue is that merchandise has become homogenized and nearly all Disney-branded. Long gone are the days, with the exception of Epcot's participant shops in World Showcase, where you could get unique gifts that were thematically appropriate to the area of the park you were in (i.e. medieval stuff by the castle, hand-carved wood pieces in Frontierland, etc).

EricsBiscuit

The larger issue is that merchandise has become homogenized and nearly all Disney-branded. Long gone are the days, with the exception of Epcot's participant shops in World Showcase, where you could get unique gifts that were thematically appropriate to the area of the park you were in (i.e. medieval stuff by the castle, hand-carved wood pieces in Frontierland, etc).
While that's true, there is plenty of attraction specific merchandise. Pins, t shirts etc. Also, in Germany for example they have coo-coo clocks (spelling?) and those painted eggs, along with those mug things with the lid that you need to sell a kidney to afford.

Bocabear

This is one of the things Universal has excelled at with the Harry Potter lands...THe unique merchandise and beautifully done shops are as much anattraction as the rides... The old Main Street had more of that feel, heck the parks in general had more of that feel years ago...Attraction and area specific merchandise...if you miss it at the park, get it at Disney Springs World Of Disney, but allow the paks and lands to all have specific merchandise...things that fit the theme... Make the shopping part of the adventure, not a walmart with Victorian Facade....

Presumably the store that this thread is discussing.
I asked because the thread is about the Magic Shop, which is said to have the entrance now open, but further discussion in the thread turned to the old Penny Arcade. I was wondering if perhaps the poster was referring to a different entrance being walled off. Thanks for your speculative input though, it was very helpful.

Sundown

Original Poster
My husband still has a dragon mask he purchased there many years ago - he wore it this past Halloween to "scare" Trick or Treaters. Plus a box of magic tricks. It was a "must stop" every trip.

If you find them...take some photos and share! It would be nice to see the great things that were for sale in this store again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom