House of Blues leaving DTD Anaheim?

Disneyfanman

Original Poster
I just heard from a reliable source that the House of Blues was relocating to a site outside of DTD Anaheim before the end of the year. My source (probably spin) said that it was a voluntary decision to leave based on fallout with DTD property management.

Has anyone else heard this? If so, I think it would be a fairly significant loss.

GiveMeTheMusic

I haven't heard that and it would surprise me immensely. The House of Blues in LA is closing and looking to relocate, but I haven't heard anything about DL's.

Disneyfanman

Original Poster
According to my associate the deal is complete, and just hasn't been announced. We will just have to wait and see I guess. Pretty legit source tho.

TP2000

There's no way to say this without sounding like an old fuddy-duddy, but...

Good riddance! Any business that brings Social Distortion, and the uniquely anti-social fans they attract, to a family resort like Disneyland should probably move to a different neighborhood. In the early 2000's I went to the Sunday Gospel Brunch a few times and loved it. But too many times since 2010 I've walked past House of Blues on a weekend when they are hosting punk or hard rock bands like Social Distortion and it just brings the whole vibe of Downtown Disney to a kind of scary and intimidating place.

House of Blues made sense in 2001, especially when DCA opened and promptly fell flat on its face. But both parks are vastly more successful now than they were in 2001 and the entire purpose of Downtown Disney has changed. I won't be sad to see House of Blues go away and be replaced by a more civil and upscale restaurant or entertainment venue of some kind. With the brilliant moves TDA has been making in recent years, I have faith they will make the right decision for that building.

westie

Wow, a Social D hater. How about, hey management watch a youtube video before you book your bands? I remember they canceled Dimmu Borgir for obvious reasons but as far as Social D goes, they are pretty tame. Never been a HoB fan. Lets see how they fill the space.

kkocka

There's no way to say this without sounding like an old fuddy-duddy, but...

Yeah you definitely need your walker. I don't mind the venue being there, and have even seen two shows there, but it is sorta odd, not to mention HOB isn't a favorite venue at all. The worst thing is that when you leave a show and feel like knocking back a few drinks or getting some food, nothing is open.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Dont have that issue at HoB in Disney Springs. Good acts like Nightwish all the time

HoB in FL has it's issues too. there was a CM that was just recently arrested for raping a girl. I used to work at Cirque (right next to HoB) and depending on who was playing in the concert venue the concert goers were, um, "neat."

I like the idea of having live music options when I'm on vacation close to where I'm staying. I agree with @raven24 that DtD Anaheim is a yawner though.

Stevek

That place is sinful. I'd go there more often but it's so expensive! Those BISCUITS. Ugh
Those biscuits...and that butter. AMAZING. As for HOB, don't really care one way or the other. We've eaten there a few times and it's always been good. We've enjoyed half a dozen live shows there and I really like the actual concert venue. Never really had any problems with the people attending shows there but we really don't go very often at night.

TP2000

Mukta

I am not a HoB fan. I recently had a terrible meal and ATROCIOUS service there.

Any idea what might replace it?

TP2000

I am not a HoB fan. I recently had a terrible meal and ATROCIOUS service there.

The same thing happened to me there, but about a decade ago and I never went back. Their recent Yelp reviews show I made the right decision.

It's main purpose is as a concert venue, and their F&B and hospitality programs take a back seat to the concerts.

It's a shame that Bar Rescue couldn't come in and do a big season finale' show there, and let Jon Taffer get them into shape. :eek:

No word on what will replace it. That building was very specifically built to be a concert venue, so it will be nearly impossible for any other restaurant to come in and make it work without major reconstruction. I wouldn't be surprised to see it bulldozed completely and have Disney start over from scratch with a new building that has shops on the first floor and a restaurant on the second floor, like Catal nearby.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom