Hotels water supply

mebucko

Original Poster
Good Morning!
The last time we stayed at the Poly, several years ago, my wife had an allergic skin reaction to the water in the shower,, sink, etc. It wasn't the soap, as she brings her own.
Her skin is very sensitive, but she did not have a similar reaction at the Grand or the Contemp.
Do all the resort hotels have the same source for water used in the rooms? The Poly is our favorite and would love to stay there again..
Thanks for any info!
Cheers,
Bill

mebucko

Original Poster
Just curious- how did you determine it was the water as opposed to the bedding, pillows, towels, pool towels /pool water (if you used them), detergent used on all these items at that particular time, etc.?
Hi HappyDisFam!
That is a good point, but the reaction would start just after running her hands under the water, before even touching a towel. It also didn't happen in the parks and there was no reaction to the linens in the room.
I really appreciate your reply.
Cheers,
Bill

mebucko

Original Poster
All water services within Walt Disney World are provided by Reedy Creek Energy Services with 11 wells providing the bulk of the potable water.
Thanks, lazyboy97o
Great info - I'm sure then that they all go through the same treatment facility.
I appreciate the reply!
Cheers,
Bill

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
What building were you staying at? It is possible that the newer renovated DVC building use PEX or CPVC plastic water pipes for domestic water. It could be the cause of any reaction.

mebucko

Original Poster
What building were you staying at? It is possible that the newer renovated DVC building use PEX or CPVC plastic water pipes for domestic water. It could be the cause of any reaction.
Hi monothingle!
Thanks for the reply!
Our longhouse has always been Fiji - at least 6+ stays over the years.
It is a real "puzzlement", but you make a valid point.
Cheers,
Bill

mmnw

I’ve felt like the taste of the tap water (rotten egg smell. What’s that called?) is more strong in some hotels versus others. We only go to Disney about once a year so I can’t do any solid tests. 😉. Good luck on your quests. I know contact allergies can be quite tricky.

mmnw

I’ll throw something else out there because you have been open to possibilities... I hear you said the reaction to the water is immediate. (What a pain, but at least you have something to go off of.). I know, with contact allergies, you can react to something you were exposed to 2 or more weeks prior. Many people are allergic to the laundry detergent used. I know this because my daughter has contact allergies and I’ve learned a lot from other Disney lovers online and thru doctors. The H2o products in the room cause lots of challenges for many. I know you said you bring your own soap. Do you use your own hand soap too.

mebucko

Original Poster
I’ll throw something else out there because you have been open to possibilities... I hear you said the reaction to the water is immediate. (What a pain, but at least you have something to go off of.). I know, with contact allergies, you can react to something you were exposed to 2 or more weeks prior. Many people are allergic to the laundry detergent used. I know this because my daughter has contact allergies and I’ve learned a lot from other Disney lovers online and thru doctors. The H2o products in the room cause lots of challenges for many. I know you said you bring your own soap. Do you use your own hand soap too.
Thank you, mmnw for both of your replies!
Yes, she uses all her own soap, including hand soap. What is confusing to us is that it only happens at the Poly, our favorite!
Good luck on getting things worked out with your daughter - we sympathize!
Cheers,
Bill

DisAl

That is a very interesting problem. I don't know if you will get anywhere with this but I would try to find a contact with the Reedy Creek utilities and ask them how their system is configured. It could be that different resorts are served from different wells. I know in the small town I live in there are several different wells that serve different parts of the town. While the different areas are connected by pipeline for emergencies the system normally operates as four (I think) independent areas each with its own storage tanks. If Reedy Creek / Disney operates this way it could be the Poly is served by a well tapping a different aquifer that has something in it your wife is sensitive to. If that is the case you would probably need to avoid the Poly in the future.
Good luck, and let us know what you find out.

DisAl

Some additional information. Below is a link to the 2017 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report of Reedy Creek Improvement District. You might look at that to see if there is something your wife may be sensitive to. Also in the report you will find a name and phone number if you have any questions about the report.

righttrack

Hi HappyDisFam!
That is a good point, but the reaction would start just after running her hands under the water, before even touching a towel. It also didn't happen in the parks and there was no reaction to the linens in the room.
I really appreciate your reply.
Cheers,
Bill

I'm guessing it's detergent and likely it re-activated when wet. Probably what's on the sheets that she's allergic too.

mebucko

Original Poster
That is a very interesting problem. I don't know if you will get anywhere with this but I would try to find a contact with the Reedy Creek utilities and ask them how their system is configured. It could be that different resorts are served from different wells. I know in the small town I live in there are several different wells that serve different parts of the town. While the different areas are connected by pipeline for emergencies the system normally operates as four (I think) independent areas each with its own storage tanks. If Reedy Creek / Disney operates this way it could be the Poly is served by a well tapping a different aquifer that has something in it your wife is sensitive to. If that is the case you would probably need to avoid the Poly in the future.
Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
Thank you, DisAl!
Great info!
We'll see if we can contact them. We'll definitely let you know how we make out.
We would hate to give up on the Poly, but might have to keep checking Maybe after a much needed room rehab. that would include the water.
Really appreciate your input!
Cheers,
Bill
Some additional information. Below is a link to the 2017 Annual Drinking Water Quality Report of Reedy Creek Improvement District. You might look at that to see if there is something your wife may be sensitive to. Also in the report you will find a name and phone number if you have any questions about the report.

Thank you, Sir!
We'll check out the report and contact him, if we have questions.
Cheers, my friend!
Bill

MaryJaneP

It was our understanding, perhaps wrongly, that the "rotten egg smell" is a result of the sulphur content being higher in WDW than elsewhere. We have noticed it at all hotels and parks, especially the water fountains (when there were many) at the magic kingdom. We love the poly and hope your and your family can enjoy staying there without any discomfort.

zurgandfriend

It was our understanding, perhaps wrongly, that the "rotten egg smell" is a result of the sulphur content being higher in WDW than elsewhere. We have noticed it at all hotels and parks, especially the water fountains (when there were many) at the magic kingdom. We love the poly and hope your and your family can enjoy staying there without any discomfort.
I have found the sulfur smell in the water in both Orlando and Jacksonville. I do not know if this is a Florida thing or not. Maybe it's me I tend to be able to detect "foreign" smells since I did a tour in Vietnam. Different cultures have different smells. My DW says I can smell a dog fart on the next street, but I digress.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I have found the sulfur smell in the water in both Orlando and Jacksonville. I do not know if this is a Florida thing or not. Maybe it's me I tend to be able to detect "foreign" smells since I did a tour in Vietnam. Different cultures have different smells. My DW says I can smell a dog fart on the next street, but I digress.
It's the sandy soil and all the rotting vegetation mixed up in it. It's endemic all along the Gulf coast.

John park hopper

Welcome Home, I know what you mean about smells certain smells and I have a flash back of my time over there in 70. rotten egg smell is not unique to FL certain areas here in SC have the same smell

mebucko

Original Poster
Thank you, All for the responses! We had the rotten egg smell here in South Jersey. For us it turned out to be our hot water heater.( after many plumber visits!) Something to do with the rods inside the heater and our soft water..
We won't give up on the Poly, but might take a break to the Contemp next visit.
Am going to check on the Reedy Creek report. There was no odor at the Poly, just the skin irritation.
Thanks again, and Cheers!
Bill

Polydweller

Thank you, All for the responses! We had the rotten egg smell here in South Jersey. For us it turned out to be our hot water heater.( after many plumber visits!) Something to do with the rods inside the heater and our soft water..
We won't give up on the Poly, but might take a break to the Contemp next visit.
Am going to check on the Reedy Creek report. There was no odor at the Poly, just the skin irritation.
Thanks again, and Cheers!
Bill
I would urge you to contact the manager of the Polynesian. As a hotelier, I would want this reported so we could investigate the situation and test the water in several buildings for possible allergens. Basically look for anything with the building that might be a source. We want to keep our hotels safe for all and the manager would not know to investigate without hearing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom