Hotel closed for my trip

AarronAarron

Original Poster
I got an email from Disney destinations stating that the hotel I have booked for my upcoming trip is going to be closed and I should call my travel professional to be moved to another resort. My trip is booked through Costco Travel, so I called them and the representative told me that there isn’t any availability for me to be moved and that I should cancel or wait until Disney reopens in July and try to move my resort again. Has anyone else tried to move their resort and been told there isn’t any availability whether they booked with a travel agent or Disney?

RosieBee

Sorry to hear this. I’m afraid I can’t help, but could I ask what month you’re travelling? I’m just waiting to hear from Disney/my travel agent about what I need to do next, and wondering what sort of timeline I should expect.

Mainahman

You’re welcome. And FYI, not everyone was as fortunate as you with your amazing upgrade. Check out my posts in the other thread. 😉
I did, and thats awful, i thought the rule was the same or better? Free or not, to me the right thing would be the same or better.

MissViv

I got an email from Disney destinations stating that the hotel I have booked for my upcoming trip is going to be closed and I should call my travel professional to be moved to another resort. My trip is booked through Costco Travel, so I called them and the representative told me that there isn’t any availability for me to be moved and that I should cancel or wait until Disney reopens in July and try to move my resort again. Has anyone else tried to move their resort and been told there isn’t any availability whether they booked with a travel agent or Disney?

This is why I do not book with a travel agent. Sometimes they do not go to bat for you and it sounds like this is one of those times. Disney is working with people and some are managing to get great upgrades. They should not be telling u there is nothing they can do.

DisneyJoe

It doesn't sound as if the Costco agent even tried to call Disney and wait on the multi-hour waits to handle your issue.

When are you scheduled to travel?

JIMINYCR

This is why I do not book with a travel agent. Sometimes they do not go to bat for you and it sounds like this is one of those times. Disney is working with people and some are managing to get great upgrades. They should not be telling u there is nothing they can do.
Some TA's are worth their weight in gold. Others arent worth walking in the door. Thats exactly why we left the TA we had used for multiple past trips and switched to another. The first agent we had was a godsend, very Disney knowledgable, great at making our treip exactly what we wanted. When she left the business we had another in the agency who was horrible. You definitely have to shop for not only the agency but the right TA who will give you the service you require. Sometimes it takes a bad experience to learn the difference.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Some TA's are worth their weight in gold. Others arent worth walking in the door. Thats exactly why we left the TA we had used for multiple past trips and switched to another. The first agent we had was a godsend, very Disney knowledgable, great at making our treip exactly what we wanted. When she left the business we had another in the agency who was horrible. You definitely have to shop for not only the agency but the right TA who will give you the service you require. Sometimes it takes a bad experience to learn the difference.
This^^^

The issue the OP mentioned probably would have taken 1 or 2 emails tops for my current TA to fix.

OneofThree

Exactly. Personally, I wouldn't consider Costco Travel in the same breadth as a bona fide TA. An agency who exists for the sole purpose of serving the vacation and travel needs of its customers is going to provide a completely different level of service, and customized service than a corporation who dabbles or outsources. I agree -they are worth their weight in gold, and this whole Covid thing might be where they are able to shine the most for their customers. I think if more people actually tried the TA route, they'd be pleasantly surprised at what these professional can, and are willing to do for them and their Disney vacations.

Mainahman

Exactly. Personally, I wouldn't consider Costco Travel in the same breadth as a bona fide TA. An agency who exists for the sole purpose of serving the vacation and travel needs of its customers is going to provide a completely different level of service, and customized service than a corporation who dabbles or outsources. I agree -they are worth their weight in gold, and this whole Covid thing might be where they are able to shine the most for their customers. I think if more people actually tried the TA route, they'd be pleasantly surprised at what these professional can, and are willing to do for them and their Disney vacations.
This!!

We normally dont use a TA, however having to spend days trying to get to Disney, sometimes multiple times, and stressing over things, I think its time to use someone for 2021.

JIMINYCR

This!!

We normally dont use a TA, however having to spend days trying to get to Disney, sometimes multiple times, and stressing over things, I think its time to use someone for 2021.
It also may be beneficial having a TA especially at this time who understands the new limitations and requirements Disney is running with who may help you make arrangements and set things up properly. Weve been multiple times and know our way around but I'm thinking any advantage I can get by utilizing my TA this time around will ensure a trip with better results. and if anything isnt the way we want it, its on her to resolve the issue with Disney.

EdnaMode

You’re welcome. And FYI, not everyone was as fortunate as you with your amazing upgrade. Check out my posts in the other thread. 😉

Ours was also what I'd consider a downgrade -- at a cost to us of almost $1100 for the week -- moving from our AP discount for GF (garden view) to rack rate at Polynesian DVC (standard view deluxe.)

I've since been able to use the online tool to push the booking Disney offered us (and we accepted) back 3 weeks....and with AP discounts that are now out (YAY!) I re-booked to a pool/marina view on the hotel side. Even though I moved our trip a little later, I could see that the pool/marina view room was also available for most other dates at the same rate we are now paying. The change I made also saved us a bit more than the $1100 we were spending to shift from GF to Poly.

I didn't try to negotiate with the CM at all. I asked what we needed to do, because GF would be closed...and he put me on hold then came back and offered a room a VGF that was $2500 more (1 bdr, standard view) as well as the room we ended up taking at Polynesian DVC. I accepted the offer and was prepared to live with it until the other day when Disney re-opened the booking tools.

I'm satisfied with our situation now, but I had to make my own pixie dust to make it happen. 🧚‍♂️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom