Horizons vs Mission: Space

Better ride?

• Total voters

91JLovesDisney

I unfortunately never got to ride Horizons, but I have been on MS several times. Thought it might be a smart idea to do Orange Training, whole family got sick, went back to our La Quinta for the rest of the day to throw up.

Call me unfair, but just based off that I prefer Horizons, even without having ever experienced it.

Robbydj13

I unfortunately never got to ride Horizons, but I have been on MS several times. Thought it might be a smart idea to do Orange Training, whole family got sick, went back to our La Quinta for the rest of the day to throw up.

Call me unfair, but just based off that I prefer Horizons, even without having ever experienced it.
I used to like MS, but those days are gone….

doctornick

Who‘s being funny and voting for Mission Space? :D
Me for one. I don’t love M:S but it’s a very unique and inspired ride. I appreciate how it’s truly trying to give you a real astronaut experience. I just wish they had built a fully fledged Space pavilion to go along with it as originally planned.

I find Horizens to be wildly overrated. The choose your own adventure ending was interesting but otherwise I think it was kinda boring and blending into all the other omnimover type rides in FW that all were superior in some way. I know people argue (in this thread as well) that it included all the other concepts of FW but I think that’s to its detriment - it had a lot of repeating stuff already existing on other rides in FW.

In terms of classic FW rides I miss, Imagination and WoM were truly awesome and fun (at least WoM got a decent replacement). I know I’m in the minority on these boards about this but I just don’t get the Horizons hype. If I were in charge of Epcot in the early 1990s, it would have definitely been the first FW ride I would have looked to upgrade/change.

Last edited:

Robbydj13

Me for one. I don’t love M:S but it’s a very unique and undiluted ride. I appreciate how it’s truly trying to give you a real astronaut experience. I just wish they had built a fully fledged Space pavilion to go along with it as originally planned.

I find Horizens to be wildly overrated. The choose your own adventure ending was interesting but otherwise I think it was kinda boring and blending into all the other omnimover type rides in FW that all were superior in some way.

In terms of classic FW rides I miss, Imagination and WoM were truly awesome and fun (at least WoM got a decent replacement). I know I’m in the minority on these boards about this but I just don’t get the Horizons hype. If I were in charge of Epcot in the early 1990s, it would have definitely been the first FW ride I would have looked to upgrade/change.
I voted for Horizons, I didn’t mind it. I rode it twice in my life. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great to me and needed a massive overhaul or a replacement. MS is quality as far as realism, but the whole area feels underwhelming. Like you, I wish there was more to it

91JLovesDisney

I find Horizens to be wildly overrated. The choose your own adventure ending was interesting but otherwise I think it was kinda boring and blending into all the other omnimover type rides in FW that all were superior in some way. I know people argue (in this thread as well) that it included all the other concepts of FW but I think that’s to its detriment - it had a lot of repeating stuff already existing on other rides in FW.
I think it was more the message and hope in the ride. Maybe I'm naive but the whole theme and the way they talk about the 21st century is very hopeful to me. Not that the 21st century actually turned out or will turn out like it does in the ride, but back in the 80s I bet a lot of people not only believed that was was depicted in Horizons was possible, but looked up to Disney for it.

GinaD613

First trip to Epcot Horizons wasn’t built yet. Neither was Seas (which was mentioned in the monorails audio track). I don’t remember riding H in 88, maybe didn’t have time? Or maybe it was down for refurb. Finally rode it in ‘97. I think I was the only person on it, and it just seemed dated somehow, even though as posted by others, little of it had come true. maybe it was the tech that was dated, or maybe it’s optimistic message felt dated.

that’s why i voted for ms. Btw, part of the trick to enjoying the forces acting on your body rather than being sickened is to lean your head back against the headrest and keep it there for the duration of the ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
First trip to Epcot Horizons wasn’t built yet. Neither was Seas (which was mentioned in the monorails audio track). I don’t remember riding H in 88, maybe didn’t have time? Or maybe it was down for refurb. Finally rode it in ‘97. I think I was the only person on it, and it just seemed dated somehow, even though as posted by others, little of it had come true. maybe it was the tech that was dated, or maybe it’s optimistic message felt dated.
That was a huge issue. By 97 it was seasonal, had minimal upkeep and Eisner refused to pay to update it. He was adamant a sponsor should fork out for updates. Had that happened it could’ve been as well done and as sympathetic as SSE was updated in 1994. Orange jumpsuits would definitely have been out.

Last edited:

OG Runner

But... you prefer MS?

Yes, more than Horizons. It was not a bad ride, but MS is more immersive, with a unique ride system,
and more of a thrill. Also if you are in a hurry, overall it is a short ride. I started going to WDW in 1986.
I have experienced both rides, and this is just my opinion. There are other people that look for something
different in a ride and have a differing opinion. I guess that is why Disney doesn't have 100 copies of the
exact same ride in the parks.

LaughingGravy

The enjoyment, if you have that, of riding M:S and not getting sick is a pretty neat thing the first time in Orange mode. The experience is indeed a novelty.
I have a pilots license and I was pretty uncomfortable, didn't hurl, but also couldn't eat or drink anything for the next hour or so.
Went back on another trip in green mode. Just meh, and no desire to ever ride it in either mode ever again.
That just shouldn't be for something that takes up so much room, when they could have gotten rid of part of a parking lot, built it there or someplace else where they have LOTS of land and kept Horizons.

doctornick

Interesting, I hadn't heard a lot of people that preferred the new to the old version.

I think the ride experience for TT 1.0 (with the temperature changes and more tactile elements like the blocks) was better than 2.0. But the design your own car and the overall theming ("Tron Track" as many call it) is superior with 2.0 than the original. Sadly, I don't see why they couldn't have combined the best elements of both into one attraction. I do say I'd prefer the current version over the old.

World of Motion OTOH was awesome. It's very sad they couldn't have kept that and added Test Track - they would have been very complimentary to each other. I would guess there would not have been enough space of all of that though.

Robbydj13

I think the ride experience for TT 1.0 (with the temperature changes and more tactile elements like the blocks) was better than 2.0. But the design your own car and the overall theming ("Tron Track" as many call it) is superior with 2.0 than the original. Sadly, I don't see why they couldn't have combined the best elements of both into one attraction. I do say I'd prefer the current version over the old.

World of Motion OTOH was awesome. It's very sad they couldn't have kept that and added Test Track - they would have been very complimentary to each other. I would guess there would not have been enough space of all of that though.
See I dont much care for the whole design your own car thing. I enjoyed the original and felt it made sense storywise, but I do get the new version with the whole futuristic aspect.

doctornick

See I dont much care for the whole design your own car thing. I enjoyed the original and felt it made sense storywise, but I do get the new version with the whole futuristic aspect.

The design your own car element is a huge part of the fun and definitely something that makes Test Track feel more Epcot-y than it otherwise would. We enjoy comparing how our different cars "performed" at the end even though it's silly. (I also loved Sum of all Thrills and am disappointed that it went away - would love to see that brought back in a larger scale.)

OG Runner

There it is! The solution to this whole discussion!!! Replace Mission Space with a larger scaled Sum of All Thrills.
I always enjoyed that also, and it adds the element of making it the ride you want it to be.

Robbydj13

The design your own car element is a huge part of the fun and definitely something that makes Test Track feel more Epcot-y than it otherwise would. We enjoy comparing how our different cars "performed" at the end even though it's silly. (I also loved Sum of all Thrills and am disappointed that it went away - would love to see that brought back in a larger scale.)
I thought the car thing was cool at first, but the last time I went it was just meh.... The complex as a whole could use more things like that instead of being a car show...but I get it, sponsors....
I feel that if they were going for futuristic, then they should have done more of that to the ride, instead of adding tron lights to everything

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom