HORIZONS 30th Anniversary

FettFan

I've heard that Bob McCall's Horizons mural "The Prologue and the Promise" was saved and is now displayed at WDI's headquarters in Glendale.
hmural.jpg
Any truth to this?

SMRT-1Michael

I've heard that Bob McCall's Horizons mural "The Prologue and the Promise" was saved and is now displayed at WDI's headquarters in Glendale.
hmural.jpg
Any truth to this?
I know it's out of public view and even from most CM's. I've also heard its at either TDO or Glendale

The Empress Lilly

Just a little tip, never bypass a Disney attraction you love and tell yourself you will save it for next time because thats what kills them.
I think the closure of Horizons had more to do with the end of GE's sponsorship deal.

Horizons had a phenomenal hourly capacity of 2700, with ease. Nearly TT and Soarin' combined. It wouldn't have had lines. Similar to the way Pirates and the Mansion often have surprisingly short lines too - which says more about their capacity then any lack of popularity.

EPOT Center was almost overbuild. All rides had enormous capacity, the pathways eat crowds whole, distances are huge. EPCOT was an exercise in correcting the failings of the MK and DL. :)

Figments Friend

Think of it like Jesus... He was born and died eventually but people still celebrate his birth. Horizon's is EPCOT's baby Jesus :3

Wow....well, i have to say that has to be the most unique way of putting it.
Nice...
:)

Horizons was great.
It was not open yet when i first visited EPCOT in July of 83. I rode in 1985, and remembered how unique it was... ..the ride system, Pavilion building, Choose Your Tomorrow segment..and more.

The musical score used in the attraction is in my opinon one of THE crowning achievements in Disney's long list of excellent Theme Park music.

Here is a stunning example of the various themes used in the attraction with some excellent audio quality.

I have been wanting to share this with people who would appreciate it fully....so what better excuse then now, in this thread?

Enjoy....and prepare to dream.
If you can dream it...yeah..you know the rest.....you CAN do it...!

The Empress Lilly

It was not open yet when i first visited EPCOT in July of 83. I rode in 1985, and remembered how unique it was... ..the ride system, Pavilion building, Choose Your Tomorrow segment..and more.
:eek:

Me too! First EPCOT in July '83. An as of yet Horizonsless EPCOT! (But what an overwhelming park nevertheless!)
And my first Horizons in '85. Maybe '84, need to look that up. Man...what a blast. WDW had build the greatest park ever, and then somehow manged to go one better with the greatest pavilion of all. The one to tie it all together.

Horizons was like Main Street. A magic happy machine. You walk in, and *boom* instantly you are happy, smiling, exalted. The music must've played a big part indeed. And the sets. The sheer size and scope of it all. And the orange smellitzer. And Horizons unbridled optimism. (unbridled optimism, that is far more 'Disney' than cgi cartoon characters)

Here is a stunning example of the various themes used in the attraction with some excellent audio quality.

I have been wanting to share this with people who would appreciate it fully....
To say that it rips me apart would be an understatement... :oops::cry:

Figments Friend

:eek:

Me too! First EPCOT in July '83. An as of yet Horizonsless EPCOT! (But what an overwhelming park nevertheless!)
And my first Horizons in '85. Maybe '84, need to look that up. Man...what a blast. WDW had build the greatest park ever, and then somehow manged to go one better with the greatest pavilion of all. The one to tie it all together.

Horizons was like Main Street. A magic happy machine. You walk in, and *boom* instantly you are happy, smiling, exalted. The music must've played a big part indeed. And the sets. The sheer size and scope of it all. And the orange smellitzer. And Horizons unbridled optimism. (unbridled optimism, that is far more 'Disney' than cgi cartoon characters)

To say that it rips me apart would be an understatement... :oops::cry:

Whoa....Small Word indeed my friend.

Yeah, EPCOT was pretty epic back at that time period ( July of 1983 ).
The original Imagination Pavilion had JUST opened a few months prior in March and the entire place still smelled of fresh paint and roses ( from the Dreamport's atomizer..).
I was there for the 4th of July break...still have my WorldPassport ticket...with ONE day still left on it. Could never bring myself to use up the last day though...
$35 for a 3-Day WorldPassport ( 1983's Park Hopper ticket that never ever expired...until YOU do..)
WOW....just wow. We really got our monies worth back then...and that was with just TWO Parks.

I wish i could say i remember seeing Horizons being built...but i do not recall any memory of seeing the building going up over there. Construction must have been going on..but my mind is blank in regards to what was visable.
I vaugely recall the construction wall...with that awesome pre-opening artwork on it...but i cannot be certain. That may have more to do with me seeing a great photo of that wall recently and it seeming to be familiar to me:

Really hazy memory regarding what the scene looked like at that time.
I may have been too busy riding WoM and UoE...as i spent a lot of time on WoM back then. Those were my focus point then one that side of FW.

I do however fully remember riding Horizons when i made a return visit to EPCOT in the Summer of 1985. Horizons was pretty darn impressive...how can one possibly forget such a experience?
The ride system was unique...the scenes were realistic ( instead of cartoony-ish )...and the SMELL...ahhh.....

Totally agree regarding the music. Just listening to the score really brings your subconciousness up a level or two. I recently re-discovered the score via the YouTube audio link i shared above and it blew me away hearing it.
Absolutely LOVE this music.

As much as i enjoyed the attraction, i doubt today's audiences would flock to experience such a ride. It would seem too 'old school' to them...and yes, some of the elements would have needed a slight updating.

In hindsight however, i think a LOT of the original Horizons attraction holds up fairly well as far as being 'timeless' goes.
Many of those scenes still look quite futuristic and visually exciting even to today's standards.
The Desert Farm and the model scenes from 'Choose Your Own Tomorrow' stand out...plus some of the amazing city background paintings still hold up in my eyes.

Maybe i am just too 'old school' myself...but it still impresses after all these years.
Shoot...even the Pavilion building itself is still awesome looking...

Last edited:

Figments Friend

hmural.jpg
Any truth to this?

Yes, at one time it was....but not 100% certain if this is still on display there.

His mural is a stunning piece of work.
EPCOT Center had a real museum-quality collection of massive murals in most of the original Pavilions back in the day.
Sadly, most of them are now gone...

Figments Friend

ATTENTION HORIZONS' PASSENGERS: You are invited to choose your own flight path!

Desert! Desert ! Desert!

I watched a video on YouTube recently of a Horizons ride-through in the early 1990s, and after that announcement in the 'Choose Your Own Tomorrow' segment you can hear the kid in the background saying ' Let's choose Seas, cuz' i wanna go see Sebastian..'..!!
:joyfull:

Sandurz

Anyone interested in Horizons should make sure to be acquainted with the wonderful work of Hoot and Chief at Mesa Verde Times...go back to the earliest post and clear your schedule for the next few hours. It's hard to believe the breadth of documentation they've made available for all us fans.

willtravel

Wow....well, i have to say that has to be the most unique way of putting it.
Nice...

Horizons was great.

The musical score used in the attraction is in my opinon one of THE crowning achievements in Disney's long list of excellent Theme Park music.

I have been wanting to share this with people who would appreciate it fully....so what better excuse then now, in this thread?

Enjoy....and prepare to dream.
If you can dream it...yeah..you know the rest.....you CAN do it...!

I know it might not make sense, but when I listen to this music, it makes me sad. Kinda like watching the video for HOR and WOM. Sad....:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom