Hoop de doo. Yes or no?

redfive132

Original Poster
I've gone to WDW plenty of times, but for some reason I haven't gone to the Hoop De Doo Review. It's just me and my wife going, no kids. Is this too much of a kid's attraction? And let's be honest, how's the food? I've heard mixed reactions...Thanks.

Peachyyy

I say yes. We went last May, and I had one of the best experiences i've ever had at WDW! The food was definitely not the best at WDW, but the experience itself is worth it. And about it being too kid-like... I think the adults in my party had more fun than the kids!! But then again...maybe we're all a bunch of kids ourselves!

NeverEnufDisney

The food is pretty middle of the road. It's OK fried chicken, ribs, and beans, decent strawberry shortcake. In addition like anywhere at Disney they do accomodate dietary concerns. My brother in law is a diabetic and they brought food over from the next door Trailend that filled the bill! However, the reason you go is the show. It's a lot of fun with the cast involving the audience. Cornball at times, but laughs for all! Definitely a must do at least once!

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
This is definately a family based show. My family and I do this usually our first night at Disney to kick it off. We love the food and the show is absolutely hilarious! Fried chicken, BBQ ribs, corn, warm bread and honey butter, salad and strawberry shortcake for desert. Soda, sangria, beer and tea/coffee included also.

I vote YES

Pam

BRER STITCH

YES!!..DO IT!!!

There are TONS of posts about how good the HOOP-DEE-DOO is....just use the "SEARCH" button at the top of the page!

We do this one as often as possible! It's a fun family night out!!!

ENJOY!!!

:wave:

Prof Ecks

The HDR is one of those things that for repeat visitors become part of the tradition of their visit. Some people like to start off their vacation by doing the HDR because it helps you get into the spirit of Disney. I think that is one of the best things about it --- if you let it, it puts you into the spirit of having fun, of participating, of being silly and allowing silly stuff to be fun. My son got called onto stage the first time we went and that hooked us. We didn't go last time we visited and regreted it. The food is "country" and goes along with the show. If you had sushi and steak and five seasoned crusted free range tenderloin on garlic mashed potatoes with mixed spring vegetables it might taste great but it wouldn't fit with the show. You don't go because the food is great, the food is great because it is part of the ambience of the show if that makes sense. And the kids that put on the show are excellent, representing some of the best talent at WDW.

We are going to WDW in January and will be doing the HDR! So I hope you go and I hope you enjoy it. (and if you are like me, having a pitcher of beer or sangria doesn't detract from the experience -smile)

JMishy

I vote yes too. My dh and I went to Hoop-dee-doo on our honeymoon (so, no children) and we enjoyed it! Ditto to what everyone said about the food...it's about average, but still worth the experience.

aeillill

does anyone know what the vegetarian meal for the Hoop-Dee-Doo is? My mother and I are contemplating going in October and I can't eat the ribs or the fried chicken. I tried allearsnet.com and was unable to find any listing of the vegetarian selection

tigsmom

What kind of question is that!? :lol:

You will love the show! Its corny jokes, corny songs and yummy food.
I've seen families with kids, young couples and even senior couples... everyone enjoys the show. Just one thing, make sure you have a sweater or jacket even when its 110 outside, it really gets cold in there. :wave:

NeverEnufDisney

aeillill said:
does anyone know what the vegetarian meal for the Hoop-Dee-Doo is? My mother and I are contemplating going in October and I can't eat the ribs or the fried chicken. I tried allearsnet.com and was unable to find any listing of the vegetarian selection

When you call Disney dining tell them you have members of your party that are vegetarian. They will accomodate that as well as any special dietary concerns at any sitdown restaurant including Hoop-de-Doo.

Kadee

Peachyyy said:
I say yes. We went last May, and I had one of the best experiences i've ever had at WDW! The food was definitely not the best at WDW, but the experience itself is worth it. And about it being too kid-like... I think the adults in my party had more fun than the kids!! But then again...maybe we're all a bunch of kids ourselves!

I completely agree!!! My husband and I enjoyed it more than our daughter (12yo at the time). Definitely do it!!! And the food is not bad...no where near bad. It is just different than what you would expect at a WDW restaurant. But the show was so funny, you really don't care about the food.

aeillill

NeverEnufDisney said:
When you call Disney dining tell them you have members of your party that are vegetarian. They will accomodate that as well as any special dietary concerns at any sitdown restaurant including Hoop-de-Doo.

oh i know that and that's ultimately what i'm going to do, but a lot of times people have had the vegetarian meals at places and I was just curious if anyone was familiar with the meal here

Peachyyy

aeillill said:
oh i know that and that's ultimately what i'm going to do, but a lot of times people have had the vegetarian meals at places and I was just curious if anyone was familiar with the meal here

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I did some searching around and this is what i found:

"The food is nearly an aside to the actual production, which is a shame considering how excellent the "grub" is. On the night I went, I was a little gun-shy about taking the no-meat option (see the Medieval Times entry), but the grilled vegetables, baked potato, salmon and penne pasta that was served at our table was on par with the better restaurants throughout Disney. I mean, grilled portabella mushrooms? All of it was cooked perfectly and without the second-class attitude some other places regard their vegetarian customers with. (The carnivores at all the other tables were way into their fried chicken and ribs; in fact, the chicken smelled so good, I was ready to check my ethics at the door.) "

If you want to read the whole article, i found it here:

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/artsculture/story.asp?id=3273

Hope this helps.. :)

aeillill

Peachyyy said:
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I did some searching around and this is what i found:

"The food is nearly an aside to the actual production, which is a shame considering how excellent the "grub" is. On the night I went, I was a little gun-shy about taking the no-meat option (see the Medieval Times entry), but the grilled vegetables, baked potato, salmon and penne pasta that was served at our table was on par with the better restaurants throughout Disney. I mean, grilled portabella mushrooms? All of it was cooked perfectly and without the second-class attitude some other places regard their vegetarian customers with. (The carnivores at all the other tables were way into their fried chicken and ribs; in fact, the chicken smelled so good, I was ready to check my ethics at the door.) "

If you want to read the whole article, i found it here:

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/artsculture/story.asp?id=3273

Hope this helps.. :)

Well it's helpful! thank you very much :wave:

KnK

My husband and I are both in our yearly 40's and no children. We LOVED it. We had a great time. So much so, that we bought the pictures! The food is so-so, but the strawberry shortcake is yummy.

Ciciwoowoo

This is a must do on my list!

Yes, it is corny, but just go with it! I've gone with and without kids, and it is enjoyable either way. I always think the food here plays second fiddle to the show. The food is good, but the show is so great that it just brings it up a level.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom