1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong Disneyland Replacing Castle (Confirmed)

Discussion in 'Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai' started by epcot82fan, Nov 10, 2016.

1. epcot82fan

epcot82fan EPCOT Center Purist

The other site is reporting that HKDL is jealous of Shanghai's bigger castle, and they are planning on replacing Sleeping Beauty Castle with a larger castle, but still smaller than Enchanted Storybook Castle. Could any insiders give any insight as to why this rumor was started?

EDIT:
    Confirmed on 11/22/2016
    hkdl-castle-800x573@2x-1200x860.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. danlb_2000

danlb_2000 Premium Member

I have no inside information, but replacing the castle doesn't seem that far fetched an idea.

3. Belpois2712

Belpois2712 Active Member

Well the people in Hong Kong know that their castle serves only 3 functions, A park castle, Projection surface for their firework show, and entrance to Fantasyland. They are missing what other parks have such as a walk through or restaurant, murals, or even a gift shop. HK Disneyland's castle is a shell of its older brother in California. With competition from Shanghai Disneyland, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hong Kong want a grand castle as the other parks besides Disneyland. I personally believe no park should copy the design of the Original Sleeping Beauty Castle, which is why Paris did their Sleeping Beauty castle well by taking its design from the movie.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    David2319, epcot82fan and brb1006 like this.
  4. epcot82fan

epcot82fan EPCOT Center Purist Original Poster

Very interesting. I have never been to HKDL, and I know very very little about the park and the history of it. I never knew that it was a watered down version of Anaheim's castle. But wouldn't it make more sense to just enhance it instead of completely starting over? Imagine how the people who have special memories associated with that castle will feel. Not that it would ever happen, but if they ever replaced Cinderella castle or Sleeping Beauty castle in Anaheim, I would personally be very sad because of all of the memories I have associated with the icons.

So does this mean that to people more in the know, the castle is more of a BAH than a Chinese Theater?

5. indianajack

indianajack Member

This wouldn't surprise me. As mentioned above, HKDL's castle is a copy of Anaheim's but only serves three minimal functions. And since the castle is small, the projections for the fireworks is can be hard to see. It doesn't generate revenue so rebuilding it with a princess restaurant is something I can definitely imagine them doing. The big problem with HKDL's Fantasyland is the lack of dark rides except Pooh (which gets huge lines because it's the only dark ride). The Hong Kong government went cheap with HKDL's initial construction and shot themselves in the foot from the start.

David2319, brb1006 and epcot82fan like this.
  6. epcot82fan

One issue that is coming to my mind is forced perspective. Would they be able to make it still work with a new castle?

7. MickeyMario

MickeyMario Well-Known Member

Why would it not work?

8. malice

malice Active Member

if anything, the surrounding mountains are screwing up the forced perspective of the current castle. If you've seen it in person, it really is diminutive.

9. epcot82fan

Well I have never been to the park, and I am sure that it would be possible to make it work, but I am just curious as to what they would have to do to make the forced perspective on Main Street still work.

10. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

The forced perspective along Main Street, USA is vertical along the facades, not horizontal along the street. Forced perspective is a design technique not one set thing. What I think you are more concerned about is scale. A larger castle will be much larger than its surroundings. This is part of the problem with Shanghai Disneyland. Mickey Ave is overly diminutive in its vertical elements, to call it forced perspective would be a stretch as there is no convincing illusion of occupied space, with an overly wide walkway between the two side. This then sits in front of the massive Gardens with the even more massive Enchanted Storybook Castle still dominating the horizon.

epcot82fan likes this.
  11. epcot82fan

Yes I think that is what I was trying to say, but I couldn't figure out the right words. What I am concerned about is that if they build a larger castle, then could it make the entire area in front of it look off?

For example, Main Street in WDW is larger than Main Street in DL, as is the castle. Technically, wouldn't this be like if Main Street in Disneyland had WDW's castle at the end of it? It would most likely seem off.

12. RandySavage

RandySavage Well-Known Member

Of all the seemingly far-fetched rumors of the past years (i.e., Frozen to replace Maelstrom; Guardians to replace ToT), this is one of the few I would be really glad to see happen... which I'm pretty sure means it won't. Fingers-crossed, though: a soaring, Fairytale castle equal in quality to Paris' would really help the park's identity.

BrianLo, malice and epcot82fan like this.
  13. MickeyMario

MickeyMario Well-Known Member

This does seem somewhat plausible though, as HK has focused on expanding the park with unique attractions.
    Mystic Manor, Grizzly Mountain and Iron Man.

So they do want their park to diferentiate itself from the rest (TSL being the exception)

14. WDWdream97

WDWdream97 Active Member

Based on what Spirit said about HK's second gate being placed in deep freeze, the next logical thing would be to heavily invest in the 1st park. I guess they really wanna place make the whole resort.

brb1006 and epcot82fan like this.
  15. egg

egg Well-Known Member

Whoa... I've been hoping they'd do this for the longest time. There were hints at this, but I've always thought that a permanent change was a long shot. Glad to hear that may not be the case.

Replacing a castle would necessitate a lot of changes to store items and marketing materials. It also would cause the park to have nothing at its center for a significant amount of time, which isn't great, especially in a park with falling attendance. And finally, it takes away something that may be a huge memory of many children and families.

It really depends on how they see their castle. Many DL patkgoaers see theirs as "quaint." I imagine that isn't as much the case in HK. If the HKDL parkgoers are in support of this change, then I could see it happening.

And it would be a great, great thing for the park, especially in the long term.

I actually think it would work even better. Right now the mountains in the background can be seen over or at least behind the castle, which makes it look really small. Even smaller than the original in California.

image.jpeg

16. sedati

sedati Well-Known Member

In one of the original concepts where the castle currently stands would just be the main castle gate. The actual castle would have been in the back of Fantasyland, but in line with Main Street. That would give you the chance for a much larger castle that could fit a restaurant, shop, attraction, and yet not overwhelm the smaller-scale park.

epcot82fan likes this.
  17. epcot82fan

Do you have the concept art for this? This sounds very interesting.

18. epcot82fan

The Spirited thread is also having a discussion about the castle in case anybody hasn't seen that yet. It starts with this post:

Also, Disney And More is claiming this is true...

https://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2016/11/is-hong-kong-disneyland-thinking-to.html?m=1

vj81995 likes this.
  19. Bocabear

Bocabear Well-Known Member

the water in front of the castle doesn't connect with anyting, so technically it couls go away, and beyond that it looks like there is plenty of space if they wanted to expand the footprint. they could also build up the base area like Paris did by creating an artificial mountain to cover the lower floors... works beautifully there, and I suspect would be a good solution here as well.

epcot82fan likes this.
  20. sedati

sedati Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    A very different park, but if you check it against what was built, the spot for the castle in the rear is still available if they wanted to do something like this.

Stevie Amsterdam and epcot82fan like this.