Home Rentals off property

loveofamouse

Do you have experience with renting the homes off site? Someone here brought it up to me. Ive glanced at it before but was really iffy. What are good "rules?" How about tips? thanks!:wave:

Nemo14

Do you have experience with renting the homes off site? Someone here brought it up to me. Ive glanced at it before but was really iffy. What are good "rules?" How about tips? thanks!:wave:
I highly recommend it, especially if you're driving anyway. We've been renting homes every year for the past 10 years, and we have never had a bad experience because of it. Check sites like VRBO or Villa4Vacation for an idea of what's out there, and I think you'll be amazed. Every home we've had has had its own pool and hotub, laundry facilities, fully applianced kitchen, and multiple bathrooms. many have had game rooms with air hockey, pool tables, foosball, darts, etc.

Upvote 0

stillgoofy

I have had good experiences in the past with rentals. I have used Alexander Homes www.floridasunshine.com They have a very informative website with lots of pictures, info and reviews. It is a very inexpensive way to go, especially with a big group. Lots of bedrooms, bathrooms, pool, etc. And they have so many to choose from and all real close to WDW.

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
How do I make sure I don't get burned? Are the terms set by the owners? I noticed one that said $350 upfront, balance due prior to check in. Then HUGE fees for heating pool and clean up fees. DH is actually liking the idea, especially since our main issue ith WDWRs are wheelchair space and feeling cramped in a rom with 5 of us and parking is hell at the resorts(value anyway)

Upvote 0

Nemo14

How do I make sure I don't get burned? Are the terms set by the owners? I noticed one that said $350 upfront, balance due prior to check in. Then HUGE fees for heating pool and clean up fees. DH is actually liking the idea, especially since our main issue ith WDWRs are wheelchair space and feeling cramped in a rom with 5 of us and parking is hell at the resorts(value anyway)
The first time we rented I went through the same worries that you are going through, but,as I've said before, we've never had a major problem. And if you stick with legitimate group websites, rather than individual websites, you really have nothing to worry about. Generally cleanup fees are applicable for stays less than a week, and I've found this year that if you e-mail the owners, you often find that their rates are quite negotiable. If you find an area you like, post it on here and I'm sure you'll find someone who has stayed there and can reassure you.

Upvote 0

stillgoofy

We also worried first time but have had no probelms after several years with the same management company. Also, depending on what time of year you go, you may not need to pay the extra pool heating fee.

Upvote 0
We went through All Star Vacation Homes because we were worried about what we might get and they are the most well-known out there--they also might be the most expensive, unfortunately, but even then it's a good deal for a large group. They tend to have very nice properties close to the parks. I was very happy with them and thought the customer service was excellent. The only thing I didn't like was that they charge a pretty hefty cleaning fee and some sort of resort security fee. Over the course of a week it's not that much, but if you're doing a short rental (ours was only 3 nights) it's kind of expensive. I think you can find coupons online which might save you a small percentage off if you look. They sometimes offer free rental cars or a Publix gift card as well.

I've had good experiences with VRBO in other states, but have not used them in FL.

Upvote 0

joannecasey

My family of four plus another couple we travel with always stay at a 4 bedroom home at the Emerald Island Resort. Beautiful gated community, our own private pool, laundry, games room, 4 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 eating areas ... it's unbelievable !! From our driveway to the Magic Kingdom parking lot is only a 6 minute drive .. with traffic ! We always go in November and the cost is .... $80 per night !!! The gentleman that we deal with is unreal. No security deposit .. just a $200 booking deposit. No hidden fees ... he is so great to deal with. I can give you all the information if you like.

Happy Planning !

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

Original Poster
sure! Thanks!

This is looking like a strong option for us. We are a family of five. We usually travel with my parents and my brother and his wife. It seems to be much cheaper to do the house and we'd have more space which is a huge plus because my son travels with a chair and many hotels are tight for that. I'm sifting through these websites. One thing that is kinda difficult to find are homes with decent decor. Minor detail, I know, but I want my kids to feel like it's a special trip which you do get with the themed WDW resorts. Many don't have that but I have found a few. I'm going to keep searching :)

Upvote 0

Nemo14

sure! Thanks!

This is looking like a strong option for us. We are a family of five. We usually travel with my parents and my brother and his wife. It seems to be much cheaper to do the house and we'd have more space which is a huge plus because my son travels with a chair and many hotels are tight for that. I'm sifting through these websites. One thing that is kinda difficult to find are homes with decent decor. Minor detail, I know, but I want my kids to feel like it's a special trip which you do get with the themed WDW resorts. Many don't have that but I have found a few. I'm going to keep searching :)
I think you'll love it - sure beats squeezing that many people into a hotel room. And eating breakfast at the house, and late-night snacks, really is a big savings.

Upvote 0

CanadaMouse

My family of four plus another couple we travel with always stay at a 4 bedroom home at the Emerald Island Resort. Beautiful gated community, our own private pool, laundry, games room, 4 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 eating areas ... it's unbelievable !! From our driveway to the Magic Kingdom parking lot is only a 6 minute drive .. with traffic ! We always go in November and the cost is .... $80 per night !!! The gentleman that we deal with is unreal. No security deposit .. just a $200 booking deposit. No hidden fees ... he is so great to deal with. I can give you all the information if you like.

Happy Planning !

Can you share the details? We are in the market for a visit Dec 14-23, 2010.

Upvote 0

joannecasey

My goodness, I really need to get used to these boards. I am just noticing that a couple of you asked for the details regarding the rental house that I was talking about and you asked back in November !!! So sorry ... but here are some links to the houses that I was speaking of ...

http://www.florida-villa.com/2007/homes/individual/index.php/456/
http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-875.aspx
http://www.onlinefloridavillas.com/florida-vacation-rental-2216.aspx

The first 2 link are for the same 2 story house just up the street from Emerald Island Resort. This is the one we are renting for our next trip in November for $85 per night !!! The third link is a one story in Emerald Island. Both are owned by the same gentleman , Bill Lewis and he is wonderful !!!

Hope this helps anyone looking in to off property. We stayed on property once and while we really enjoyed it, we usually travel for 2-3 weeks ... so a house is definitely more comfortable for our family !

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom