Holy Cow room prices have increased for 2011!

durangojim

Looking at the same last two weeks in April 2011 as 2010 at the GF with a MK view room, the price increased from $595 (which was considered regular season) to $750 a night, indicating that all of April is now considered Easter or peak season. The price goes down in May to $610. I'm sure this is due in part to the fact that Easter is late, but to have the whole month increased in price is really something.

Kamikaze

Easter is late next year. I was going to book the end of April next year after I had such a great time the end of April this year, but because of Easter I nixed the idea. But pretty much all of April is Spring break for schools.

Not only is it late, but its the second latest possible date it can be, and the latest it will be until 2035, when it will be 4/25, and then finally it will be 4/24 again in 2095!

So yes, that period is going to be busy, because you're starting to mix seasons at that point.

Can someone please justify $750 a night. I have stayed at the GF and many luxury resorts around the world and I can not see why the GF is $750 a night. The rooms are not worth it, the beds (even eith the new ones) are not worth it, the ammenities are not worth it and the service is far from worth it.

Most expensive season, monorail resort.
Obviously people are paying it. If they didn't, the prices would go down. If the demand wasn't there, it wouldn't be justified. But since it is, then it is.

Upvote 0

COProgressFan

Obviously people are paying it. If they didn't, the prices would go down. If the demand wasn't there, it wouldn't be justified. But since it is, then it is.

Actually, that's not quite true. Of course supply/demand is at play at WDW just as at any other resort destination.

However, the VAST majority of guests at deluxes in the past couple years are not paying rack rate (from what I've been told from several resort CM friends). Even during peak/holiday periods last year, discounts were widespread.

Again, they raise the prices drastically with the full intention that they will be heavily "discounted" so we can all get such a great "deal".

And again, for some folks, who aren't eligible for discounts on their travel dates, have cash to burn, etc., they will pay rack rate. But this is far from the norm (at least for 2008/2009/2010).

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Actually, that's not quite true. Of course supply/demand is at play at WDW just as at any other resort destination.

However, the VAST majority of guests at deluxes in the past couple years are not paying rack rate (from what I've been told from several resort CM friends). Even during peak/holiday periods last year, discounts were widespread.

Again, they raise the prices drastically with the full intention that they will be heavily "discounted" so we can all get such a great "deal".

And again, for some folks, who aren't eligible for discounts on their travel dates, have cash to burn, etc., they will pay rack rate. But this is far from the norm (at least for 2008/2009/2010).

It's been brought up, but nobody could have planned on a global recession (and 10% unemployment).

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

It's been brought up, but nobody could have planned on a global recession (and 10% unemployment).

True. Who would plan a global recession & unemployment like that if they could? Given the economic environment these days people are holding onto their $$ a bit tighter. They're less likely to splurge unless they feel like they're getting a good deal. Jacking the prices allows Disney more flexibility to throw big discount campaigns out there so they give the illusion of the "good deal". Those in the know realize it ain't all that great. What it boils down to with the oober fans like us is what are you willing to pay?

Upvote 0

COProgressFan

Well, I think the real issue isn't that people can or should pay rack rate (believe me, I haven't paid rack rate since 1999) its that the pricing is all bogus.

If demand isn't there because people can't afford it, then don't raise rates. Instead, we can get massive rate increases, following by massive discounts to give us all a great "deal". Those discounts probably bring them down to where they should have been to begin with.

Just have a reasonable price structure to begin with and be honest about it.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Well, I think the real issue isn't that people can or should pay rack rate (believe me, I haven't paid rack rate since 1999) its that the pricing is all bogus.

If demand isn't there because people can't afford it, then don't raise rates. Instead, we can get massive rate increases, following by massive discounts to give us all a great "deal". Those discounts probably bring them down to where they should have been to begin with.

Just have a reasonable price structure to begin with and be honest about it.

But this IS the perfect structure. It's called "perfect price discrimination" and any businessman would absolutely DIE to be able to use it. I don't have the verbiage to explain it here but you might want to look it up.

^That suggestion was sincere, not snotty. Tone of voice is hard to regulate on a message board.

Upvote 0

Funfy

Just glad to be a DVC member when you read about these. It probably is as others said, marked up to mark down, but, maybe not as big of a markdown as in the past.

Maybe some guests like the higher rates to discriminate against people that can't normally afford it, but have been "encroaching" their space. Crazier things happen. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

jsteph

Rack rate...

Can I ask how yall keep from paying rack rate?

I was looking to book for next Sept, but the prices seem a lot higher. Actually we wanted to try a deluxe for the first time and those seem crazy high to me.

Upvote 0

DisneyNut7578

We just made a decision to do BC instead of Poly in Feb. It's now too much. Not sure what it has been in the past, but it seems like a huge increase. I think this year's increase was a bit much.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

But this IS the perfect structure. It's called "perfect price discrimination" and any businessman would absolutely DIE to be able to use it. I don't have the verbiage to explain it here but you might want to look it up.

^That suggestion was sincere, not snotty. Tone of voice is hard to regulate on a message board.

Yeah. I get what you're saying. It just feels dirty...sorta like the crap the airlines pull. Don't tell me my ticket is $X but if I want to check my luggage that's an additional $X and if I want to choose my seat well now I should pay $X more but oooohh if I'm super-smart I might catch a special fare to help with all those costs. Or why don't I sign on for their credit card so I can pay an annual fee to get the perks for free that they gave me from the start. Properly price the ticket from the get-go to include all the little variables so I don't feel like I'm getting totally hammered. It's the same thing with Disney. It ain't pleasant. Sometimes I'd like to smack these businessmen who come up with these honest ways to be dishonest.

Upvote 0

DisneyNut7578

Just glad to be a DVC member when you read about these. It probably is as others said, marked up to mark down, but, maybe not as big of a markdown as in the past.

Maybe some guests like the higher rates to discriminate against people that can't normally afford it, but have been "encroaching" their space. Crazier things happen. :lookaroun

I'm an AP holder, and even with the discounts, it's still a little much for a deluxe...

Upvote 0

Kamikaze

It isn't $750 a night when it isn't peak season. Obviously the statement is about when it is $750 a night. No need to mention the rest of the time, because it is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Kamikaze

Can I ask how yall keep from paying rack rate?

I was looking to book for next Sept, but the prices seem a lot higher. Actually we wanted to try a deluxe for the first time and those seem crazy high to me.

Just wait for the discounts. Sept is the usual 'free dining' period.

You can book and add discounts later, when they are announced.

Upvote 0

cabihler

and what is with this FALL rate

okay this is my formal .... I LOVE WDW and have stayed onsite for every trip except one where it was a combined vacation/business trip. i love the POLY and the CBR and POP. due to money like others usually when i go it is to the POP but my favorite is CBR....

with all of that said WDW is really starting to price themselves out much like major league baseball and nba basketball has to the average family. now to add insult to injury i see from the rate charts for 2011 that WDW has added a NEW category to the rack rates and that is the FALL rate. for the POP it is $10 more per night to stay there on FALL rates vs. the VALUE rate that has always been in place for that time of the year. also why is the SUMMER rate so high now. one was that summer months were among the cheapest time of year to go to WDW.

i like many have been hit hard by the economy, my main job was outsourced to india and with the horrible recession it has been a nightmare trying to find work in my field. please no boo-hoo just stating something that has hit millions of people many of whom i am sure are always WDW lovers. with WDW pricing everything so high it is making it harder and harder for the average struggling family to try to take their kids to WDW for a funfilled wholesome family time together. so if WDW wants to make it like MLB or the NBA they are on the right tract and soon a lot of people that would stay on property are going to save money by staying in Kissimmee or elsewhere where a room can be had if you really try for about 1/3 the price of a VALUE resort.

Upvote 0

cabihler

clarification

when i said every trip but ONE i meant to say for everytrip but ONE since 6 months after the CBR opened..... the CBR was the 1st onsite resort we stayed at

Upvote 0

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Disney prices go up and food quality goes down. Go figure. :veryconfu

However, the price increase in the past few years for tickets have hit my family hard in addition to higher costs of living on the homestead like higher electric bills, etc. We only spend a few (3) days at WDW vs. before we were able to afford at least 5 days. We really only go when we can get the kids stay play and eat free deal. I can't believe I am saying this, but with the consistent (and planned??) increase in pricing for food, hotel, and tickets, I'd rather take my family elsewhere and make WDW an every 4 year thing. That being said, I feel lucky that I have even gone and been able to take my family to WDW as there are a great deal of people who will never be able to go or afford to go to WDW. Should they out-price us (which they are doing), WDW will be a thing of past of this middle-class family.

BTW we are value resort - Pop Century- people all the way:)

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Disney prices go up and food quality goes down and I still go. Go figure. :veryconfu

However, the price increase in the past few years for tickets have hit my family hard in addition to higher costs of living on the homestead like higher electric bills, etc. We only spend a few (3) days at WDW vs. before we were able to afford at least 5 days. We really only go when we can get the kids stay play and eat free deal. I can't believe I am saying this, but with the consistent (and planned??) increase in pricing for food, hotel, and tickets, I'd rather take my family elsewhere and make WDW an every 4 year thing.

BTW we are value resort - Pop Century- people all the way:)

Which is what MOST guests do ANYWAYS. Most people save for years to make their WDW vacation doable. Us every year to every-other year people are anomalies.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom