Hollywood Studios vs Islands of Adventure

Which is the better park?

• Total voters

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Hollywood Studios: Disney World's Best Rides & Most Frustrating Park -  Disney Tourist Blog
Disney's Hollywood Studios | Guide to Rides, Shows & Dining
WDW 2020 Studios Sunset Boulevard at night 3 - AllEars.Net

Universal Orlando's Islands of Adventure Rides, Tickets, Photos
Islands of Adventure Christmas Report - Disney Tourist Blog
Universal's Islands of Adventure Ride Guide - Disney Tourist Blog

Let's say that you have one single day in the Orlando area, and you can only go to one of these two parks. Which would you pick?
Both parks have thrilling rides, excellent themed lands, and overall rely on a fun theme park experience.
Which park is superior, has better rides, more fun, etc? Which is the better park?

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

In terms of immersion, Hollywood Studios. There are no "exposed steel" rides that break the sense of being transported (SDD is auto-themed, even if weakly so), and the slightlines are vastly superior. And of course, the Hollywood areas and Galaxy's Edge are some of the best most transportive environments in any theme park.

In terms of attraction lineup, Islands of Adventure. Despite Tower of Terror and Rise of the Resistance arguably being superior to any of the attractions at IoA - and ST, SDD, MMRR, RnRC, TSMM, etc. being great fun - they don't make for a lineup of this caliber:
  • The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
  • Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
  • Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
  • Velocicoaster
  • Popeye and Bluto's
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure
  • Ripsaw Falls
  • The Incredible Hulk

LittleMerman

Easily HS for me. It's my least fave of the 4 WDW parks but I still prefer it over IOA.

The only attraction in IOA that I really love is Hagrids - it's prob my favorite coaster that I've ever been on. Hulk, Spiderman, and Velocicoaster are fun but not favorites.

I prefer HS for the theming and the actual attractions + shows.

fgmnt

In terms of immersion, Hollywood Studios. There are no "exposed steel" rides that break the sense of being transported (SDD is auto-themed, even if weakly so), and the slightlines are vastly superior. And of course, the Hollywood areas and Galaxy's Edge are some of the best most transportive environments in any theme park.

In terms of attraction lineup, Islands of Adventure. Despite Tower of Terror and Rise of the Resistance arguably being superior to any of the attractions at IoA - and ST, SDD, MMRR, RnRC, TSMM, etc. being great fun - they don't make for a lineup of this caliber:
  • The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
  • Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
  • Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
  • Velocicoaster
  • Popeye and Bluto's
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure
  • Ripsaw Falls
  • The Incredible Hulk
DHS has 2 of my top 3 attractions in Orlando, but you're going to get a more complete day at IOA. Also, if you pay up for Express there, you know you will get to ride everything as long as there is no downtime.

UNCgolf

DHS circa 2000 or so was better than current IoA. I'm less sure about the current version of DHS, but I'd probably give it the edge too.

IoA has some good stuff, but it also has some terrible areas like Superhero Island. Velocicoaster diminished the Jurassic Park area for me, and while Hogsmeade is okay it's nowhere near as good as Diagon Alley (and I think Forbidden Journey is an awful ride).

Last edited:
(SDD is auto-themed, even if weakly so),

even though it's a side note or less important to what your main point is I'm still curious as to what you mean by that above.

"auto themed" ??? I'm totally perplexed here. You are talking about Slinky Dog and Studios's lack of exposed steel rides, right? Can you elaborate a bit. Thanks

Marc Davis Fan

even though it's a side note or less important to what your main point is I'm still curious as to what you mean by that above.

"auto themed" ??? I'm totally perplexed here. You are talking about Slinky Dog and Studios's lack of exposed steel rides, right? Can you elaborate a bit. Thanks

"Auto-themed" means "themed to itself" (like "autobiography"). Slinky Dog Dash is themed to be a roller coaster, which "justifies" the exposed steel track. The same goes for the attractions in Pixar Pier and Dino-Rama. That doesn't make it a good design choice, though.

Jrb1979

"Auto-themed" means "themed to itself" (like "autobiography"). Slinky Dog Dash is themed to be a roller coaster, which "justifies" the exposed steel track. The same goes for the attractions in Pixar Pier and Dino-Rama. That doesn't make it a good design choice, though.
Exposed track shouldn't be a big deal. IMO the more you do to hide the track the less thrilling it becomes. To me coasters don't work that great for a story telling ride. They are made to be thrilling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom