Hollywood Studios After Dark - worth it?

We are going to be Orlando for a non-Disney trip in March, and I just saw that they are having one of the Hollywood Studios After Dark nights the day we get there. We haven't been to Toy Story Land yet, so does anyone know if it is worth it to go to one of those? The price is pretty steep for 4 hours, but are the crowds really any lighter, or do they oversell tickets?

GJM724

Memory Maker is fantastic! From past trips, I've learned to check the photos at the end of each day and notice if any of the pictures are missing Magic Shots or didn't show up in your account. That happened to us a few times last year. We had time at the end of our trip to go to the PhotoPass office and studio in Disney Springs and they were able to find all of them for us. They've also gotten very good at keeping the available Magic Shots updated and posted on their Facebook page - just look for Disney PhotoPass. We usually spend more times in the parks so it's been worth the cost. But this trip, we only have 3.5 park days and are going to focus on other things. I might just pay for the new on ride photo of Haunted Mansion because that's the only one I really want.

Thanks for the tip on the missing photo! I would have never thought of that. I am really looking forward to the Haunted Mansion one. Maybe we will be in the buggy next to you guys!

Upvote 0

JohnD

I'm going to the After Hours at HS on May 1st :) I tried to get tickets to the D23 event that morning but it was sold out by the time I found out about it. I'm really curious to see what they're doing for that party.

Any reason to do the May 1 DAH at HS since on the 30th anniversary? I’ll be in the park during the day and have done HS DAH previously.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I have my fingers crossed that May 1st will have lighter crowds because everyone will want to do the other special party on May 4th that has special SW characters out and about for May the Fourth day.

I’ll be at WDW that whol week. Currently have plans to be in MK that night. Forgot about May the 4th be with you...

Upvote 0

JohnD

I have been looking for the Wonderful World of Animation start time and couldn't find it anywhere. Where did you find it? I guess it is going to be impossible to see that if I am seeing Fantasmic.

It’s on the WDW website. You can add it as a reminder to your plans.

Upvote 0

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Any reason to do the May 1 DAH at HS since on the 30th anniversary? I’ll be in the park during the day and have done HS DAH previously.

Posted here...

You might see Bob Chapek lead an awkward ceremony on the Star Wars stage with a few storm troopers and Toy Story Characters. The blurb mentions M&Gs during the event and the chance to buy stuff!!!

I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

View attachment 361773

Upvote 0

JohnD

Found it! It was little hidden for me. Would you do the laser shows or Fantasmic?

I've seen Fantasmic more than once so I'm going with the laser show. But if you've never seen Fantasmic and you have no room to see both on separate nights, I would go with Fantasmic.

Upvote 0

GJM724

I've seen Fantasmic more than once so I'm going with the laser show. But if you've never seen Fantasmic and you have no room to see both on separate nights, I would go with Fantasmic.

I haven't seen fantasmic in about 10 years and my wife never. The only other opportunity to see the laser show would be the 4th if we did after hours, so it looks like fantasmic.

Upvote 0

JohnD

I haven't seen fantasmic in about 10 years and my wife never. The only other opportunity to see the laser show would be the 4th if we did after hours, so it looks like fantasmic.

I would definitely do Fantasmic then. It's a great show. You may want to do a VIP dinner package so that you have "50 yard line" seats.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Yup already got that! Doing Mama Melrose at 12:20pm. How late can we show up if we have the VIP seats?

The WDW website recommends showing up at least 25 minutes prior to show time.

You're going May 1? I think you got my lunch ADR, LOL. I had VIP lunch for Fantasmic scheduled for a long time until I found out the Animation show was at the same time. In my case, since I've seen Fantasmic multiple times, I cancelled the lunch to see the laser show.

Upvote 0

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Thanks for the tip on the missing photo! I would have never thought of that. I am really looking forward to the Haunted Mansion one. Maybe we will be in the buggy next to you guys!

Additional tip, take a pic of the screen with your missing photo once you and the photo shop CM find it. I've gone in for help 4-5 times over the last couple of years and mostly had it work the way it should, but this February we looked up 3-4 missing shots from my August 2018 trip and found them quickly but they never showed up in my account. If I had taken a pic of them when we found them in addition to tapping my magicband, I could have just emailed the pictures of the screens from when we looked them up (which would include the picture numbers) to the photopass help account and have them link them rather than taking up additional time in person.

Bonus tip - I usually make a note in my phone's "Notes" program of the ride and current time as I exit rides with photopass that don't show you your pic on screens afterward (like Dinosaur or PoC which only seem to link for me 50% of the time; whereas on Splash Mt. or Space Mt. you can just take a pic of the screen after you get off the ride to document the picture, number, and time) immediately after the ride because that helps you and the CM find a missing shot in seconds rather than a long drawn out search.

Upvote 0

GJM724

The WDW website recommends showing up at least 25 minutes prior to show time.

You're going May 1? I think you got my lunch ADR, LOL. I had VIP lunch for Fantasmic scheduled for a long time until I found out the Animation show was at the same time. In my case, since I've seen Fantasmic multiple times, I cancelled the lunch to see the laser show.

Ha! I have had this one for a while though I think I moved it up from 2:20, but I can't remember. Maybe you can facetime me in for the Animation show so we can get to view both!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom