Hollywood Studios After Dark - worth it?

We are going to be Orlando for a non-Disney trip in March, and I just saw that they are having one of the Hollywood Studios After Dark nights the day we get there. We haven't been to Toy Story Land yet, so does anyone know if it is worth it to go to one of those? The price is pretty steep for 4 hours, but are the crowds really any lighter, or do they oversell tickets?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We are going to be Orlando for a non-Disney trip in March, and I just saw that they are having one of the Hollywood Studios After Dark nights the day we get there. We haven't been to Toy Story Land yet, so does anyone know if it is worth it to go to one of those? The price is pretty steep for 4 hours, but are the crowds really any lighter, or do they oversell tickets?

The crowds are super light. You may have a 5-10 minute wait for Slinky at the beginning of the event, but then it will become walk-on with everything else. DHS will seem like a ghost town. You'll be able to get into DHS a few hours early from the beginning of the event time to catch the evening shows, too.

Nice avatar. ;)

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The price is steep but the value depends on your getting the most attractions done in the time you have. The hours youre given do go by fast. If your budget allows the expenditure, go for it. Crowds arent extravagant as a normal day or holiday, and you do have the opportunity to get a lot done. TSL will still be the area guests will target.

Upvote 0

Brer Penguin

Original Poster
The crowds are super light. You may have a 5-10 minute wait for Slinky at the beginning of the event, but then it will become walk-on with everything else. DHS will seem like a ghost town. You'll be able to get into DHS a few hours early from the beginning of the event time to catch the evening shows, too.

Nice avatar. ;)
Thanks. That avatar is a good 17 years old now. I don't post on here as often as I used to in the early days...

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

I think on a regular day, this would not be worth it to me. We’ve done most of the attractions plenty of times, and while it could be fun to do Midway Mania over and over for awhile, I don’t think it’s $100 fun (unless we didn’t already have park tix.)

My question is: there is one scheduled for their actual anniversary on 5/1. We’re already planning to be at HS that day, and have a Slinky Dog FP. I understand there will be special souvenirs, etc. for the anniversary. Should we expect an extra special After Hours that day? Or perhaps a sellout, and less crowd advantage?

Upvote 0

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think on a regular day, this would not be worth it to me. We’ve done most of the attractions plenty of times, and while it could be fun to do Midway Mania over and over for awhile, I don’t think it’s $100 fun (unless we didn’t already have park tix.)

My question is: there is one scheduled for their actual anniversary on 5/1. We’re already planning to be at HS that day, and have a Slinky Dog FP. I understand there will be special souvenirs, etc. for the anniversary. Should we expect an extra special After Hours that day? Or perhaps a sellout, and less crowd advantage?

You might see Bob Chapek lead an awkward ceremony on the Star Wars stage with a few storm troopers and Toy Story Characters. The blurb mentions M&Gs during the event and the chance to buy stuff!!!

I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

Upvote 0

GJM724

I know there is D23 stuff that day as well. It is my first day at WDW and it has been impossible to modify FP's and Dining at this point. I would expect it to be crowded that day. Thinking about doing after hours on May 4th.

Upvote 0

LeighM

I'm going to the After Hours at HS on May 1st :) I tried to get tickets to the D23 event that morning but it was sold out by the time I found out about it. I'm really curious to see what they're doing for that party.

Upvote 0

GJM724

I'm going to the After Hours at HS on May 1st :) I tried to get tickets to the D23 event that morning but it was sold out by the time I found out about it. I'm really curious to see what they're doing for that party.

See you there that day! I keep going back and forth on doing it that day or May the 4th. I have a bad feeling it is going to be packed on the 1st due to the anniversary, and I am worried how much we are going to get done especially with starting our day at 1:30.

Upvote 0

LeighM

See you there that day! I keep going back and forth on doing it that day or May the 4th. I have a bad feeling it is going to be packed on the 1st due to the anniversary, and I am worried how much we are going to get done especially with starting our day at 1:30.

I have my fingers crossed that May 1st will have lighter crowds because everyone will want to do the other special party on May 4th that has special SW characters out and about for May the Fourth day.

Upvote 0

GJM724

I have my fingers crossed that May 1st will have lighter crowds because everyone will want to do the other special party on May 4th that has special SW characters out and about for May the Fourth day.

Or both could be crowded! I have my fantastic spot reserved on the 1st thanks to Mama Melrose. Will I be able to see the new projection show as well or are they at the same time?

Upvote 0

LeighM

Or both could be crowded! I have my fantastic spot reserved on the 1st thanks to Mama Melrose. Will I be able to see the new projection show as well or are they at the same time?

The nighttime schedule at HS confuses me. It looks like Fantasmic and the projection show are at the same time. It boggles my mind why they have events scheduled after the park is closed and when the After Hours is supposed to start.

HS Park Hours: 9:00AM-9:00PM
After Hours: 9:30PM-12:30PM

Fantasmic - 9:00PM-9:30PM
Wonderful World of Animation - 9:05PM (duration: 12 minutes)
Star Wars Galactic Spectacular - 9:30PM (duration: 14 minutes)

Upvote 0

GJM724

The nighttime schedule at HS confuses me. It looks like Fantasmic and the projection show are at the same time. It boggles my mind why they have events scheduled after the park is closed and when the After Hours is supposed to start.

HS Park Hours: 9:00AM-9:00PM
After Hours: 9:30PM-12:30PM

Fantasmic - 9:00PM-9:30PM
Wonderful World of Animation - 9:05PM (duration: 12 minutes)
Star Wars Galactic Spectacular - 9:30PM (duration: 14 minutes)

I have been looking for the Wonderful World of Animation start time and couldn't find it anywhere. Where did you find it? I guess it is going to be impossible to see that if I am seeing Fantasmic.

Upvote 0

GJM724

The times and details were listed on their website. Under entertainment I think because I could add it as a reminder under My Plans.

Found it! You really have to dig for it! Wish they would move Fantasmic to 8pm so I could hit up everything. Another reason After Hours is looking more promising on the 4th.

Upvote 0

LeighM

Found it! You really have to dig for it! Wish they would move Fantasmic to 8pm so I could hit up everything. Another reason After Hours is looking more promising on the 4th.

I was looking at the Star Wars dessert party that day for good seats for those 2 shows but I don't think I'll be able to convince the husband to spend more money for better seats especially when I don't eat desserts LOL. If you have park hopper tickets, you can always hop over to HS for Fantasmic and save the money for another ticketed event. That's what I would do if we had more days in the park. Since we're only doing 3 days in the parks (and now one after hours), it didn't make sense for us to get the park hopper. I'm still determining whether to get Memory Maker for this trip.

Upvote 0

GJM724

I was looking at the Star Wars dessert party that day for good seats for those 2 shows but I don't think I'll be able to convince the husband to spend more money for better seats especially when I don't eat desserts LOL. If you have park hopper tickets, you can always hop over to HS for Fantasmic and save the money for another ticketed event. That's what I would do if we had more days in the park. Since we're only doing 3 days in the parks (and now one after hours), it didn't make sense for us to get the park hopper. I'm still determining whether to get Memory Maker for this trip.

I am thinking of doing the MK After Fireworks Dessert Party on the 5th at the moment. The 1st is the only night that we don't have a late dining reservation that we would be able to make it back over for Fantasmic outside of doing another After Hours on the 4th. I feel like I can drop another 2 grand in a matter of minutes on upcharges and other things. Def went with the Memory Maker since we have never done it, and this is our first trip as a couple.

Upvote 0

LeighM

I am thinking of doing the MK After Fireworks Dessert Party on the 5th at the moment. The 1st is the only night that we don't have a late dining reservation that we would be able to make it back over for Fantasmic outside of doing another After Hours on the 4th. I feel like I can drop another 2 grand in a matter of minutes on upcharges and other things. Def went with the Memory Maker since we have never done it, and this is our first trip as a couple.

Memory Maker is fantastic! From past trips, I've learned to check the photos at the end of each day and notice if any of the pictures are missing Magic Shots or didn't show up in your account. That happened to us a few times last year. We had time at the end of our trip to go to the PhotoPass office and studio in Disney Springs and they were able to find all of them for us. They've also gotten very good at keeping the available Magic Shots updated and posted on their Facebook page - just look for Disney PhotoPass. We usually spend more times in the parks so it's been worth the cost. But this trip, we only have 3.5 park days and are going to focus on other things. I might just pay for the new on ride photo of Haunted Mansion because that's the only one I really want.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom