Rumor Hollywood insiders say there's growing tension at Disney as CEO Bob Chapek chafes at Bob Iger's 'long goodbye'

MorphinePrince

Sorry 😞
Not sure why I was able to open it, I don’t have a subscription there.

Yeah, Incognito mode can't get past it, either.

That one slipped past the sarcasm radar…me thinks?

I got about halfway through and the firewall popped up…maybe someone wants to summarize for we peasants who don’t want to sign up for yet more crap on the internet?🙄
Open the link and as soon as the page loads immediately put your device into airplane mode. That allowed me to get around the paywall.

SpoiledBlueMilk

From the article:

"One rumor going around Disney is that Chapek plans to stop putting executives on multiyear employment contracts to get greater flexibility to hire and fire, a sign of how he may be seeking to put a bigger stamp on the company. The studio exec also predicted Chapek had planned some restructuring at the company this fall.

Some of Iger's closest lieutenants, the public-relations consigliere Zenia Mucha and the general counsel Alan Braverman, are hitting the exits, which will give Chapek more freedom to alter Disney's power structures. Disney is working to replace Mucha and using the opportunity to overhaul its corporate communications strategy, two sources told Insider."

Ooooophf....That is going to sting a lot of execs at the Mouse. Corporate comms and the GC are two big openings that can transform a company's internal culture. Looks like Chapek is waiting to fill these like a White House looks to fill a Supreme Court vacancy. Once Iger leaves, Chapek is going to make Disney his and for that we should all be scared!

ImperfectPixie

From the article:

"One rumor going around Disney is that Chapek plans to stop putting executives on multiyear employment contracts to get greater flexibility to hire and fire, a sign of how he may be seeking to put a bigger stamp on the company. The studio exec also predicted Chapek had planned some restructuring at the company this fall.

Some of Iger's closest lieutenants, the public-relations consigliere Zenia Mucha and the general counsel Alan Braverman, are hitting the exits, which will give Chapek more freedom to alter Disney's power structures. Disney is working to replace Mucha and using the opportunity to overhaul its corporate communications strategy, two sources told Insider."

Ooooophf....That is going to sting a lot of execs at the Mouse. Corporate comms and the GC are two big openings that can transform a company's internal culture. Looks like Chapek is waiting to fill these like a White House looks to fill a Supreme Court vacancy. Once Iger leaves, Chapek is going to make Disney his and for that we should all be scared!
He wants to run it like it's a Walmart. Every employee is disposable. NOT GOOD.

jpinkc

I honestly dont know much anymore about upper management. Used to when Roy was still around. I just know that the parks have stagnated IMHO under the current leadership and to me. The Parks carried Disney to some thru the bad times, and it seems like most companies I deal with if the Bean Counters dont see 300% return on investment they shoot it down. I am exaggerating on that figure but it feels like that more and more with each passing year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From the article:

That is a direct recipe for what Wall Street calls a “brain drain”
If you want to have the ability to discard/not pay executives…even with temporary overpayments…you’ll get no one. Security is just as important as cash when everyone is focused on their own legacy/name in lights.
Wow, this is very alarming. Chapek always came off as a harmless idiot to me, but sometimes those are the ones capable of doing the most damage. I guess we'll just have to see what the future holds.
Harmless idiots are dangerous because they still have egos and get the “ill show you!” Bug without the capacity to pull it off.

Ponderer

Hmmm, super interesting article. Particularly fascinating to hear that Marvel (and ergo Kevin Fiege) were unhappy with the Disney+ play for Black Widow. Combine that with the dismal second weekend drop and you have a combo for a very unhappy studio. Which is especially bad news as it’s the current crown jewel of the whole content side of the company.

I mean, none of the creators at any of the studios are happy with these dual-release scenarios. They seem to be working slightly better at Disney Plus than HBO Max, but that’s not saying much.

EricsBiscuit

I don’t understand why everyone keeps underestimating Chapek. That includes Iger. I know he gets a lot of hate from fans but he did a great job from a shareholder’s perspective last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom