Holiday filming for ABC specials to take place early November at Walt Disney World

JAMMYD778

Myself and my parents are visiting the resort for the first time and this taping happens to be the weekend in the middle of our two week holiday. As we were not aware of this taping, could any regulars elaborate on what impacts or disruptions we might be likely to notice if any (changes to entertainment, cut off areas of parks, crowds etc)?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

dvitali

Is Disney Blog doing a live streaming of MVMCP parade at night again this Year? Love how they do the parade at night from the railroad station. I gonna be there for the first week of MVMCP.

prberk

This is sad to me. We have gone from a wonderfully kinetic and fun LIVE "Walt Disney World Very Merry Christmas Parade" each year to a pre-recorded and completely fake (no guests, only cast members allowed to have audience tickets) infomercial for the homogenized "Disney Parks" in the "holiday time".

Because you know, they are all "Magic Kingdom" parks now, anyway, with everything being "more Disney" -- and we can't trust the real guests to show the fake smiles we must have, or to have the proper mix of IPs displayed on their shirts. Not to mention the showcasing of Walt Disney World as wonderful and diverse RESORT, when we can instead focus on all of the important IPs and pop stars we can promote.

The live WDW parade used to be something we looked forward to seeing each Christmas morning, on in the background after opening presents and waiting for lunch to be made and relatives to make it in for their annual afternoon visits. But recently is was so contrived and info-mercial-like, it was not worth looking at. Even then they would have cutaways to show other parts of the resort, like the wonderful hotel lobbies decked out for Christmas with gingerbread houses; or the EPCOT Candlelight Processional. But it would make sense and fit in, like you were there. But now it is completely plastic and bereft of anything feeling live from WDW.

From the main page:
Filming at Walt Disney World will take place November 3 - 7 2017. Like last year, no parade will be filmed at Walt Disney World, but stage show performances including musical acts will be filmed in Florida. The parade will be filmed at Disneyland Resort in California.

Tickets will not be made available to guests, with Cast Members filling in the audience as extras. It may be possible to see parts of the filming from guest areas however.​

And now they don't even bother filming the Walt Disney World parade at all! And don't let guests in the audience for the live castle performances. Just sad, compared to what they used to pull off.

hokielutz

This is sad to me. We have gone from a wonderfully kinetic and fun LIVE "Walt Disney World Very Merry Christmas Parade" each year to a pre-recorded and completely fake (no guests, only cast members allowed to have audience tickets) infomercial for the homogenized "Disney Parks" in the "holiday time".

Because you know, they are all "Magic Kingdom" parks now, anyway, with everything being "more Disney" -- and we can't trust the real guests to show the fake smiles we must have, or to have the proper mix of IPs displayed on their shirts. Not to mention the showcasing of Walt Disney World as wonderful and diverse RESORT, when we can instead focus on all of the important IPs and pop stars we can promote.

The live WDW parade used to be something we looked forward to seeing each Christmas morning, on in the background after opening presents and waiting for lunch to be made and relatives to make it in for their annual afternoon visits. But recently is was so contrived and info-mercial-like, it was not worth looking at. Even then they would have cutaways to show other parts of the resort, like the wonderful hotel lobbies decked out for Christmas with gingerbread houses; or the EPCOT Candlelight Processional. But it would make sense and fit in, like you were there. But now it is completely plastic and bereft of anything feeling live from WDW.

From the main page:
Filming at Walt Disney World will take place November 3 - 7 2017. Like last year, no parade will be filmed at Walt Disney World, but stage show performances including musical acts will be filmed in Florida. The parade will be filmed at Disneyland Resort in California.

Tickets will not be made available to guests, with Cast Members filling in the audience as extras. It may be possible to see parts of the filming from guest areas however.​

And now they don't even bother filming the Walt Disney World parade at all! And don't let guests in the audience for the live castle performances. Just sad, compared to what they used to pull off.

Then watch something else, or don't watch anything and spend the time with family, instead of a TV.

brb1006

From the main page:

I remember back when they used to do it live. It was also cut to Disneyland and sometimes the other foreign Disney Parks.

Cmdr_Crimson

I wouldn't even count it as a Parade anymore since they hardly show one and other things such as....
  1. Don't show anything new for the parks
  2. It's all about MK or DL don't even think the Other parks will be aknowledged even tho they are there..
  3. The performer's sing horrible renditions of Holiday Classics
  4. The sporadic "Family that want's to go to Disney" Stories thrown in for Time filler and show the rose colored side of the parks...Ney I say...Show us the Real deal with the famiy getting mad, Timmy crying he couldn't get a lightsaber, little Tabitha not wanting to eat the Chili fried tofu bowl, Daddy's drinking issues...If we can watch that on normal basis on TLC why not here...
  5. Kelly & Ryan seem to be getting worse and worse reading off the Teleprompter...I keep thinking that they have become new AA's
  6. And if this horrid holiday special come back...The Wonderful World of Disney: Magic Holiday Celebration (That Shows NOTHING about the Disney Parks) I will not be a very happy person...This Special is just..AWFUL!
    http://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/12/hough-400x200.jpg

AEfx

From the main page:

To be absolutely honest, in regards to the stage performances - I understand why.

One day, many years ago (I want to say 2007ish?) I am walking through the Magic Kingdom and I hear someone singing "Silent Night". I turn the corner and...Beyonce is standing there in front of the Castle, singing her lungs out in this pristine white dress. I was probably 10 yards from her. She finished. Went backstage. Then came back, and sang it again. Then the process happened a third time, and it started to rain a bit.

(Note, this is actually the moment I really began to have real respect for her as a performer, because she just kept going and didn't stop until the director told her to - she kept singing while being rained on for several minutes. She also acted completely graceful and grateful through the entire time she was out there, waving to little kids in between, etc).

Then after a brief pause, she came out - for the fourth time, to start again. Keep in mind, she probably already had done it several times before I was on the scene myself.

Now, as all this is going on, it was probably 60-65 degrees out at the time, not really sunny - so while I was happy as a clam in my T-shirt and shorts, half the audience was bundled up in mittens and hats and coats like they were at a fricking ski resort. And the moment a drop of rain was felt, half of them again started using up umbrellas and throwing those cheap plastic ponchos over their heads. It looked awful, and none of the audience paid any attention to the director with the bullhorn saying "don't do that". It was barely raining at all - I mean, a few droplets landing on me per minute.

Anyway, at this point, people in the audience - even in the front - started to walk away, while she is singing. They had their Beyonce experience, now they wanted to go on rides. So all the PA's are furiously trying to fill the audience with passerbys, because while all the precious little people who thought they were alternatively going to melt or freeze ruined enough of the earlier shots, having big gaping holes ruined a whole different set of shots.

Finally, the sun broke through - they filmed it once or twice more since people were again willing to stop without looking like freaks in snowgear in Florida, or covering themselves in garbage bags to avoid a few sprinkles, and that's the version that ended up on TV.

Watching how frustrating it was for the production staff, and long it took, and how many times she had to redo the song - mostly because the audience was so uncooperative, ruining all those crane shots that are expected in a filmed performance at the Castle like that - I completely understand why they would only use invited guests and fill in with CM's who can follow basic instructions. And as it says - guests can still view it - in fact, I was closer to Beyonce than the actual audience, anyway, from where I saw it (though I did wander down there at one point, I left and went back up because the view was better).

A theme park just is a very difficult place to film something like this, and when the crew has so much to film in a relatively short amount of time (and with talent that they likely only have for an hour or two at most), I really can't blame any of them for doing it this way.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I definitely miss the older Disney specials on TV.

Regardless, I'll probably still watch the show when it airs. I figure some of it might be worthwhile viewing, and I tend to watch more light-hearted shows (not exactly heavy on substance ;) ) during the holiday season. I figure it will be a bit of escapism, during the hectic weeks leading up to the major holidays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom