News Holiday decor and entertainment to expand to all lands at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2019

Sir_Cliff

Now we know you're trolling.
Yes, I kind of wonder why people keep taking the bait! I mean, getting indignant about Christmas being forced on a fictional alien race in a theme park?

Anyway, I think these plans all look good! For me, AK has been the standout park at WDW since it opened in terms of quality and theming. Really glad to see it growing and becoming so popular after a rocky start.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

Good to see, because DAK has always been lacking. But what really needs to happen is for WDW to get a headliner holiday offering of the magnitude of Osborne Lights. Guests used to plan entire trips around Osborne Lights, nothing introduced since has had any impact.

Yeah, you'd figure they would have put Osborne or something similar to it in one of the parks. Heck Universal should have just stole the idea and bought Osbornes. God knows they've got plenty of regular looking city buildings.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, you'd figure they would have put Osborne or something similar to it in one of the parks. Heck Universal should have just stole the idea and bought Osbornes. God knows they've got plenty of regular looking city buildings.
I would hope they could push the envelope now. Regional amusement parks basically have Osborne now.

ToTBellHop

I think WDW can do better than Osborne.
They thought Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM! was just that. While it’s a good show, it’s no Osborne.

The biggest challenge is where to place such a display. Streets of America was a uniquely large waste of space 10 months of the year. It’s too hard to place a light display in Stitch’s Great Escape.

Tom P.

Are we really having a debate about whether or not Disney is being culturally sensitive to made up, fake people in a theme park land?

I mean, is that really a thing that is happening?

I feel like that shouldn't be a thing that is happening.

You know how they are redoing Spaceship Earth? Along with all those scenes of human progress, there needs to be one about the invention of the Internet and how humanity utterly imploded as a result.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, a Christmas-themed projection show with fireworks was supposed to make up for Osborn lights going away, until the fireworks part also had to go away and it then turned out to be just a lackluster clip show.

While Osborn was indeed a spectacle, it was spectacle that was becoming dated (with full strings of lights being on or off). The one canopy that had individually addressable lights to create patterns and images was rather sparse.

I feel DHS has made up for the lack of Osborn by a more fuller decoration of the whole park and with Sunset Greetings.

But yes, there certainly is room for a light show made up of lights (and not relying solely on projections). With Epcot now in need of an attendance boost and having the space, it should get a technologically updated Festival of Lights Garden.

MickeyMouse10

I would hope they could push the envelope now. Regional amusement parks basically have Osborne now.

:) Yeah, but there was something special about it. I like it more than the projections stuff they've been doing lately.

P.S. - It's too bad "Game of Thrones" is over. They should have had at least 2 more episodes this season. They didn't convey Dany's evilness enough. And I still don't know why Bran was named King??? W.T.F???

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

the decorations around the tree of life look very nice, combined with the puppet characters I think that will be a very special addition.

Everything else is just a big yawn and seems to just exaggerate what they have already done.

MickeyMouse10

I'd be cool with a combo of Osbornes and a projection show for any of the main streets. The one building projections don't seem like they are enough for the holidays. Look at what they are doing over in California for the Main Street projections. They're amazing.

Think of all the Christmas movies and music Disney now owns as well.

Home Alone
Die Hard
Nightmare before Christmas
Muppets Christmas
The Santa Clause
Miracle on 34th Street
Edward Scissorhands
Prep and Landing

and more

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, a Christmas-themed projection show with fireworks was supposed to make up for Osborn lights going away, until the fireworks part also had to go away and it then turned out to be just a lackluster clip show.

While Osborn was indeed a spectacle, it was spectacle that was becoming dated (with full strings of lights being on or off). The one canopy that had individually addressable lights to create patterns and images was rather sparse.

I feel DHS has made up for the lack of Osborn by a more fuller decoration of the whole park and with Sunset Greetings.

But yes, there certainly is room for a light show made up of lights (and not relying solely on projections). With Epcot now in need of an attendance boost and having the space, it should get a technologically updated Festival of Lights Garden.
It was primitive in its final years compared to what could be done, but it was still a huge spectacle and carried a huge amount of holiday tradition for families. People would be talking in England about scheduling their trip around the lights - you are not going to hear that about Sunset Seasons greetings and Jingle Bell Jingle Bam.

MickeyMouse10

It was primitive in its final years compared to what could be done, but it was still a huge spectacle and carried a huge amount of holiday tradition for families. People would be talking in England about scheduling their trip around the lights - you are not going to hear that about Sunset Seasons greetings and Jingle Bell Jingle Bam.

I thought Osbornes was awesome, I felt like Dorothy seeing OZ for the first time. I probably shouldn't have worn the dress and ruby slippers though.

juniorthomas

:) Yeah, but there was something special about it. I like it more than the projections stuff they've been doing lately.

P.S. - It's too bad "Game of Thrones" is over. They should have had at least 2 more episodes this season. They didn't convey Dany's evilness enough. And I still don't know why Bran was named King??? W.T.F???
Buckles in, waiting for someone to trip over this massive spoiler....😬

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom