Holding your hands up in the air on Space Mountain

crxbrett

Cel phones.
The day someone gets clocked in the face with one of these because another coaster rider has dropped theirs is coming.

It's already happened (not yet at a Disney park) I believe there have been instances of people losing eyes and being knocked out, losing a tooth or receiving lacerations from falling objects. It's one of the big reasons why selfie sticks were banned.

crxbrett

Hope I am not sitting behind you... When I finally got to ride the mine train I saw the photo taken along the way. The person in front of me had her arms up and ruined my photo. If you are sitting in front of me, do not hold your arms up. I grab them and make sure they are pulled back into my seat area. I will insist it is for your safety. Yes, I can reach that far...

I wouldn't start grabbing someone's arms on a ride. You're liable to either be ejected from the park once exiting if that person complains you grabbed them, receive a very stearn warning or even possibly risk being clocked in the face after getting off. You may accidentally grab someone's face or who knows what. That's way more dangerous than someone simply raising their hands on a ride. Ask for the front if it is really that important to you.

Putting one's arms up on a coaster, or any thrill ride, is common and to be expected.

-

Incomudro

It's already happened (not yet at a Disney park) I believe there have been instances of people losing eyes and being knocked out, losing a tooth or receiving lacerations from falling objects. It's one of the big reasons why selfie sticks were banned.
I'm "liking" your post, but obviously not liking the reality of the situation.
It's a shame, and scary too.

RollerCoaster

This video does a good job of showing how far away the beams above are. The ceiling in the very end tunnel looks a good 1 -3 feet lower than any of the beams during the actual ride. So if you stick your hands up all the way in that end tunnel and see how far your hands are from the top, add an additional foot or two probably to that.

I know for a fact (first hand experience) that you can touch elements of the ride structure on Space Mountain when your hands up. Specifically in the video at 4:37 and 4:58, plus the reentry tunnel.

However, I would strongly advise you against putting your hands up. I got a cut on my finger on the reentry tunnel.

Most riders fortunately do not do stupid things. If they did Space Mountain wouldn't remain operation today.

RollerCoaster

These things, right?

03-sdmt-clearance-rig.jpg

Here's a good shot to get an idea of how big and the amount of coverage those fixtures go out to simulate people's arms and hands.

Using a coaster built in 2014 as evidence is not a good idea. Standards have changed and Space Mountain would not pass this test, nor should it have to.

Clearance envelope testing is done on new coasters that must meet ASTM standards. These standards did not exist in the 70s when Space Mountain was built.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've read that it's impossible for your fingertips to hit the tracks above you, but I'm still not convinced. I swear it looks like that track is barely above my head, and I admire people who do it anyways.

Also what about the man who is 6'10 with lanky arms? Still completely impossible to hit the track?
If it could happen, don't you think we would have heard about the lawsuit by now?
I lost 8 of my 10 fingers holding my hands up on several rides on SM. I'm a slow learner. No lawsuit though. Each time it happened they offered me one of those giant turkey legs and a churro as well as a cupcake leftover from the dessert party the night before. It was an offer I couldn't refuse;). Shoulda held out for a Mickey ice cream too.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I lost 8 of my 10 fingers holding my hands up on several rides on SM. I'm a slow learner. No lawsuit though. Each time it happened they offered me one of those giant turkey legs and a churro as well as a cupcake leftover from the dessert party the night before. It was an offer I couldn't refuse;). Shoulda held out for a Mickey ice cream too.
I'm calling BS on this.

After all, if you lost 8 fingers, how are you gonna hold a Turkey Leg???

Goofyernmost

Sure but how would you eat any of that with only two fingers? You need to bargain for a CM to feed you, then you would have come out ahead. No one needs that many fingers anyway.

Walt Disney1955

I always thought Thunder Mountain came awfully close to being able to touch things going by, especially going through the mines. But I think it is just an illusion of sorts. There used to be a rollercoaster at Cedar Point called the Wildcat before it closed in 2011. My friend, who is only 5'8" had his hands up on one part and the top of his finger hit one of the bars above. We laughed at him, and still do. So I guess it can happen as Cedar Point is a pretty high level park and far from just being a travelling carnival. But I would assume Disney is extra prepared for this stuff. However if Robert Wadlow ever went on the ride (tallest man in modern history at 8'11") I would assume he could touch things. But no one that tall can get on a roller coaster anyway.

Walt Disney1955

There is an excellent wooden roller coaster called "The Beast" at King's Island. Incredible, arguably the best I've ever been on. People who have ridden it might know what I mean. There are a couple of tunnels you barrel through at high speeds where it feels like you are going to fall off the track and to be honest I have never been so worried about whether or not my HEAD would hit the top let alone my hands. Of course I probably had a lot more room above my head than I figured, but I would honestly wonder about a person's hands on that ride.

WDW Dad 23

Wile I have never really held my hands up on the main part of the ride, I can honestly say I never thought I was anywhere near the beams. That said, I did put my hands up in the tunnel once and as other have said, I definitely got a shock. So now, that is the pace I cower in my seat.

bigjon1805

You can definitely touch the sides of the tunnels in the Beast. I've seen it happen. The person regretted it afterwards as well!

There is an excellent wooden roller coaster called "The Beast" at King's Island. Incredible, arguably the best I've ever been on. People who have ridden it might know what I mean. There are a couple of tunnels you barrel through at high speeds where it feels like you are going to fall off the track and to be honest I have never been so worried about whether or not my HEAD would hit the top let alone my hands. Of course I probably had a lot more room above my head than I figured, but I would honestly wonder about a person's hands on that ride.

disneygeek90

Every time I'm on Space I think about this. It's like some weird Final Destination thought running through my head. Went on it Monday and I never put my hands up. It even can freak me out to a minor degree riding in the front car. What if some beam brakes off and decapitates me. :hilarious: At least it adds to the excitement.

EvilQueen-T

I've read that it's impossible for your fingertips to hit the tracks above you, but I'm still not convinced. I swear it looks like that track is barely above my head, and I admire people who do it anyways.

Also what about the man who is 6'10 with lanky arms? Still completely impossible to hit the track?

While he's never been willing to test the ability to touch the track, my hubby at 6 ft 3 can't fully extend his arms in the tunnel toward the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom