Holding on for dear life on new Soarin

nickys

Premium Member
This new version has received some mixed reviews, I on the other hand found myself holding on for dear life and getting nervous along with an adrenalin rush, something that has never happened before. Anyone else have the same experience?

Yes, I have a strange love for Soarin, despite being afraid of heights. At least it isn't heights as much as a fear of falling. I always clung on, there's a great big abyss below me. If I slip I'm plunging down there :jawdrop: (last time as we went in they were retrieving a woman's bag that had fallen!). However no one will talk me out of doing it, it's my Epcot must-do. I just grip those arm rests......

I won't ride a coaster like EE, because I look at it and see that I could fall out lol! Even for Primeval Whirl or Space, which I did do and was terrified. But something with a "ground" to it, like BTMRR is no problem. FoP should be fine, because I know the bike / banshee is fixed to the mounting platform., at least that's what I understand (so no need to disillusion me please ;) ).

Megamazing

In the Parks
Yes
I have this irrational fear that my seat is going to collapse from my weight and I'm going to plunge to my death, and it's irrational because obviously Disney has their crap together enough to prevent this.

That being said, I liked it as much as the old one. Can't wait to ride again.

DanielleOG

I was sitting on the far right side, so it was kinda funny to see the Eiffel Tower curving. That being said, it was my first experience and I still really enjoyed it. I hate heights but it didn't scare me really. There's got to be something they can do to fix the curvature, no?

disneygeek90

Yes, I have a strange love for Soarin, despite being afraid of heights. At least it isn't heights as much as a fear of falling. I always clung on, there's a great big abyss below me. If I slip I'm plunging down there :jawdrop: (last time as we went in they were retrieving a woman's bag that had fallen!). However no one will talk me out of doing it, it's my Epcot must-do. I just grip those arm rests......

I won't ride a coaster like EE, because I look at it and see that I could fall out lol! Even for Primeval Whirl or Space, which I did do and was terrified. But something with a "ground" to it, like BTMRR is no problem. FoP should be fine, because I know the bike / banshee is fixed to the mounting platform., at least that's what I understand (so no need to disillusion me please ;) ).
What you described is exactly how my mom is. Afraid of the "falling" more than the ride itself. She loves Soarin. Won't do EE, RnRC, ToT etc. But will go on BTMRR.

If it helps calm your nerves, she absolutely loved FoP.

thomas998

I was sitting on the far right side, so it was kinda funny to see the Eiffel Tower curving. That being said, it was my first experience and I still really enjoyed it. I hate heights but it didn't scare me really. There's got to be something they can do to fix the curvature, no?
No way to fix it given the geometry of the screen. It is my one complaint of the ride, unless you are in the center section the ride loses a lot because of the distortion the curved screen creates.

Maddie Terwilliger

Soarin scared the crap out of me. And unfortunately I was on the front row which seems to get lifted the highest out of the other rows. Me being afraid of heights I didn't like it that much and i was gripping the side bars so hard that it hurt :hilarious::hilarious:. I was too scared to actually enjoy it. Also every time the system turned I wanted to cry LOL

However, it is a truly beautiful ride and i WOULD do it again. It was just .... scary :confused:

JIMINYCR

I've never had an issue with Soarin or any ride thats simulating movement but one time a guy that was seated 2 seats to my left was swaying to the left and right in sync as the screen images moved, and was about to get air sick. Fortunately he was able to hold it in until we got grounded. As he got off the seat he continued stumbling a few steps as he walked to the exit. Its amazing how the mind can process what it takes in and you actually think youre gliding through the scenes.

djdan888

I had really hoped during the refurb that could have fixed the warped screen. I mean you really have to get the perfect seat in the middle for it to not be a distraction. It can be fixed. FoP doesn't have this issue.

Pro Tip: if they don't seat you in the middle, if you ask for the middle and they let you wait for the next group and put you in the middle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom