HM Awnings, EPCOT Center Hats and C-DVC Oh My! - 8/25

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Original Poster
The DW and I spent the day at Epcot and MK. Here's what we saw. Enjoy!

New awnings at HM are being constucted. I kinda hoped they wouldn't put anything back after tearing down the old ones but c'est la vie. :(
EPCOTMK1.jpg

EPCOTMK2.jpg

EPCOTMK3.jpg

Why are you cleaning it? Isn't is supposed to look dusty and haunted?!?
:hammer:
EPCOTMK4.jpg

Then we swing by the Contemporary DVC... err... parking lot. :lookaroun
EPCOTMK5.jpg

EPCOTMK6.jpg

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Original Poster
I declare the starboard deck sandwich at the Columbia Harbor House the best thing ever to eat in all four parks. So yummy today. :slurp: Oh yeah, back to it. I get sidetracked by food. Back to EPCOT. It's been de-stumped.
EPCOTMK7.jpg

I got a TON of compliments on my EPCOT Center shirt today from CMs. Many of them didn't even know they were available. I guess I wouldn't be roaming Mouse Gear if I worked there either. :lol: New EPCOT Center hats.
EPCOTMK8.jpg

EPCOTMK9.jpg

And two more pics just because I love them. :wave:

EPCOTMK10.jpg

EPCOTMK11.jpg

Hummer1676

Thanks for the pics! I hear they are adding the cover que almost to the gate. I also hear that they changed the colors of the coverings to a dark purple. You can see where they added the famework before you get to the stretching room door.

CrashNet

Honestly I kinda like the canopy...that and its kinda needed. There really isn't anywhere else to stand while waiting in line, and that would get pretty uncomfortable in the heat. Curious...where were you standing to get that first high up shot?

One other thing I thought I'd mention...anyone notice the square oaks are so square anymore. Is that they way they've been for a while before they closed that area off? I didn't realize they required trimming that often. Sorry for the sudden spill of useless minutiae.

Thanks for the pics!

JWG

Honestly I kinda like the canopy...that and its kinda needed. There really isn't anywhere else to stand while waiting in line, and that would get pretty uncomfortable in the heat.

Exactly. I think it'd be much better without but the shade is such a requirement in that heat. Sometimes you have to compromise perfect theming for reality.

Wonder if HM will come out with a FP option...

HinunterZuNich

Nice photo update! I was at the parks this week also, it was packed! I'm so bummed that I missed out on the sound tests at the Haunted Mansion, O-Canada preview, and the Muppets in Future World! That's what happens when you are too cheap to pay $10 for 24hours of internet in your hotel room :(

Disney_Freak429

Very nice pics. Love to see a HM update & very good idea of where to take the pics from. SSE pics are always nice & these of coarse are great shots. Thanks for shareing.

TinkerBell9988

Thanks for the pics!

I use your trick all the time... (2nd floor of the Columbia Harbour House to sneak a peek at the HM refurb... haha).

The last picture is a nice touch. :D

The Mak

I declare the starboard deck sandwich at the Columbia Harbor House the best thing ever to eat in all four parks. So yummy today. :slurp: Oh yeah, back to it. I get sidetracked by food. Back to EPCOT. It's been de-stumped.
EPCOTMK7.jpg

Is that duct tape on SSE's leg?

Dr Albert Falls

Comparing the new canopy structure to photos of the old one, it appears that (unless they add more sections in the next few days) the new one is in the exact same place as the old one--- no bigger, smaller, taller, or shorter. About the only possible difference I see is that the new one might have a more peaked roof once the canopy is installed.

Any idea why they tore it all out and replaced it?

I remember after the 2004 hurricanes the canopy was missing for quite awhile. I just assumed it had gotten damaged in the storm. I wonder if this new one is more "permanent" and wind-resistant, possibly with a hard-topped roof.

Or maybe the old structure simply was rusting and needed replacement.

disney9752

a canopy is a MUST in the florida heat & with those frequent summer storms. if u look at pics from 71 or 72 there was no canopy but was quickly deemed necessary. my tricky memory is saying way back then the mk monorail station didnt have the big awnings either. they loaded up the middle & unloaded on the outsides. i couldnt image being there back in the early days when almost no one wore shorts standing out in the summer heat scorching sun, then BAM thunder storm rools in & whole line runs 4 cover...:eek:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Is that duct tape on SSE's leg?

It's some other patch material. It's not really in strips, it's just like following cracks. It's been there for a few months, and it's on the other side too. Showed up around the time the first work started in SSE's postshow.

JWG

It's some other patch material. It's not really in strips, it's just like following cracks. It's been there for a few months, and it's on the other side too. Showed up around the time the first work started in SSE's postshow.

Sounds like a paint job may be in the future plans.

Figment82

I guess I wouldn't be roaming Mouse Gear if I worked there either.

Some of us have no choice! :lol: :lookaroun

I noticed the canopy construction while at the MK yesterday. The new design looks much more permanent and seems like it will fit in with the rest of the theming nicely.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Why are you cleaning it? Isn't is supposed to look dusty and haunted?!?
:hammer:

This is a common mistake. To quote Walt Disney in reference to the look of the Haunted Mansion "[The Ghosts] take care of the inside and we take care of the outside". His and WED Imagineering's vision was for the mansion to look quaint and pristine on the outside. The Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood on the other hand is designed to look like a derelict and ever since that ride opened alot of people think that Haunted Mansion is also supposed to look rundown which is simply not the case.

mpaul32001

I'll be going today, and coming back with a video update....Should be great!
And awesome update if I do say so myself...

Which I do....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom