HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

While I am not a fan of representing all Disney princesses (and queens) with one castle, I still think HKDL's Castle of Magical Dreams looks a lot better than SHDL's Enchanted Storybook Castle. ESC is supposedly the tallest castle among all, but the proportion is wrong and so when you see it in person, you find it fat instead. And as mentioned by many others, it's very boxy that it appears quite hideous in certain angles.

halbjobri

Just wanna give a shoutout to the theme painters who worked on the Castle of Magical Dreams! The paint job really saved the actual thing from looking like the jumbled multicolor mess of the initial concept rendering imo.

kb paris

Transformed castle pays tribute to Disney princesses and reflects the cosmopolitan character of Hong Kong
The part that says “reflects the cosmopolitan character of Hong Kong” is what makes it all come together for me. The skyline of Hong Kong is iconic and is one of the many reasons why the I love the city. The different shapes and sizes that light up the sky give Hong Kong its personality and makes it memorable.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Just wanna give a shoutout to the theme painters who worked on the Castle of Magical Dreams! The paint job really saved the actual thing from looking like the jumbled multicolor mess of the initial concept rendering imo.
Am I the only one who preferred the original paint job as seen in the original concept art? I feel that it gave off more of a regal vibe than the one seen on the castle now, especially with the right mix of bronze and gold roofs.
20161122_hongkong_01.jpg

Although, I do appreciate the Imagineers continuing the long-standing tradition of creating balance within the resort (as briefly explored in The Imagineering Story). In Chinese culture, the color yellow is seen as a representation of yin and yang, and symbolizes prosperity and good luck. Blue or green (teal, in this castle's case) are associated with harmony, among others. Those facts could probably explain why the Castle of Magical Dreams is painted the way it is now, a Hail Mary of sorts for the resort to finally prosper.

kb paris

Am I the only one who preferred the original paint job as seen in the original concept art? I feel that it gave off more of a regal vibe than the one seen on the castle now, especially with the right mix of bronze and gold roofs.
20161122_hongkong_01.jpg

Although, I do appreciate the Imagineers continuing the long-standing tradition of creating balance within the resort (as briefly explored in The Imagineering Story). In Chinese culture, the color yellow is seen as a representation of yin and yang, and symbolizes prosperity and good luck. Blue or green (teal, in this castle's case) are associated with harmony, among others. Those facts could probably explain why the Castle of Magical Dreams is painted the way it is now, a Hail Mary of sorts for the resort to finally prosper.
Maybe after ten years when they repaint the castle, they could try something new , just like WDW Cinderella castle

kb paris

But if you in person , the colour is really charming with the sunshine and the mountains

20161122_hongkong_01.jpg

I also prefer this old colour scheme! I think this one is less "busy" and more "fantasylandish" than the current one.

lazyboy97o

While I am not a fan of representing all Disney princesses (and queens) with one castle, I still think HKDL's Castle of Magical Dreams looks a lot better than SHDL's Enchanted Storybook Castle. ESC is supposedly the tallest castle among all, but the proportion is wrong and so when you see it in person, you find it fat instead. And as mentioned by many others, it's very boxy that it appears quite hideous in certain angles.
The proportions of this are all over the place as well, especially the back and sides.
The painters don’t get to change the colors.

RandySavage

Is that really a significant change? It makes that one element look worse but it doesn’t really change all of the other things going on back there, especially the weird inverted vertical massing.
I haven't seen a pic that makes the inverted massing look absurdly egregious yet (hard to take in a wide, unobstructed angle of the rear base with FL showbuildings and carousel in the way).

From the pics I have seen, those multi-story squared "slat" windows are what stand out to me the most, because my brain immediately associates them with early 20th Century modernist structures, particularly German art deco used in commercial buildings. They're not a type of feature one would expect to see in a fairytale castle. The model version at least had a nod toward's castle-era style with their gothic arches.
GER - Berlin - G Warenhaus Tietz Doenhoffplatz B (3).jpg

GER - Dusseldorf - G warenhaus ttz (12)1909_Architekt_Jt.jpg

GER - Dusseldorf - G Stahlhof Steelworks Union Administrative Building (french command WWI (5)g.jpg

lazyboy97o

I haven't seen a pic that makes the inverted massing look absurdly egregious yet (hard to take in a wide, unobstructed angle of the rear base with FL showbuildings and carousel in the way).

From the pics I have seen, those multi-story squared "slat" windows are what stand out to me the most, because my brain immediately associates them with early 20th Century modernist structures, particularly German art deco used in commercial buildings. They're not a type of feature one would expect to see in a fairytale castle. The model version at least had a nod toward's castle-era style with their gothic arches.
View attachment 514864

View attachment 514866
View attachment 514865
The inverted massing is in most of the photos. You have the short, dry skinny columns, then the arched windows which are taller, then the mostly bare octagonal room that is even taller and then the very tall slender windows. All the way up elements get taller and typically wider.

halbjobri

Am I the only one who preferred the original paint job as seen in the original concept art?

Sorry, I was referring to this monstrosity that they initially put out as the concept art:
1606079959611.jpeg

I’m so glad they tweaked the colors because that yellow/gray/copper/blue combo did NOT look good.

The painters don’t get to change the colors.

I am aware of that but I just want to appreciate some underrated members of the team ;) I love the little details in the paint job all over the castle.

RandySavage

As a critic earlier, I have to admit that this nightime walkaround in 4K paints the castle in a pretty spectacular light. I like the narrowness of the alleys directly behind the castle:

From this Exhibit vid, we get a closer look at the early development along with a preview of the Projection mapping show:

Sorry if these vids were already posted.

Some interesting screengrabs from the above:
1. Early idea with the addition matching the style of the original castle:
Castle HKDL revamp 0m exhibit pieces (0)d.jpg

Castle HKDL revamp 0m exhibit pieces (0)e.jpg

This version had Fantasy Faire from DL:
Castle HKDL revamp 0m exhibit pieces (0)b.jpg

Now it gets taller but matching the original turret style:
Castle HKDL revamp 0m exhibit pieces (0)j.jpg

Enter the onion domes:
Castle HKDL revamp 0m exhibit pieces (3)r.jpg

Close to final:
Castle HKDL revamp 0m exhibit pieces (98.jpg

painting:
Castle HKDL revamp 14b.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom