HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

jmuboy

These Arial pictures are great. Loving the castle more with the various perspectives and sky conditions. I think losing the final sections of scrim and scaffolding should only help the look.

Also, I just learned by looking at these pictures that there is a new guest access road and train tunnel in the center of Fantasy Gardens. For some reason I had assumed access was going to be from TSL and IASW plaza. The train here in HKDL is probably the most interesting layout as the park has expanded along the edges and created this RR route that actually winds through so much of the park with park sightlines on both sides of eh track. Unique take on the traditional "Grand Circle Tour" concept.

Wow never knew toontown was considered for HKDL. Was the toontown considered during pre-opening of HKDL?
Yes. I think in some early documents, it was stated that HKDL would have Main Street, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Adventureland, Frontierland and Toon Town (based on my memory, do correct me if I am wrong). But due to budget cuts (probably Eisner), Frontierland and Toon Town were eliminated. The remaining four lands, although actualised, had far less rides than it was mentioned in the proposal.

hkdisky

If you look up HKDL 1999, you'll find the outline of the lands/rides originally announced for the park.

Yes. I think in some early documents, it was stated that HKDL would have Main Street, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Adventureland, Frontierland and Toon Town (based on my memory, do correct me if I am wrong). But due to budget cuts (probably Eisner), Frontierland and Toon Town were eliminated. The remaining four lands, although actualised, had far less rides than it was mentioned in the proposal.

I found this... The Fantasyland and adventureland changed a lot.

Animaniac93-98

I found this... The Fantasyland and adventureland changed a lot.

What they didn't build of that list:

Peter Pan's Flight
Little Mermaid dark ride
Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor
River Rapids Ride
It's Tough to Be a Bug
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Jungle Coaster
The Boneyard (?)

Over the years, we got PhilharMagic instead of Bug, Mystic Manor instead of HM, Grizzly Bear instead of the Jungle Coaster, Playland instead of Carpets and a Frozen dark ride instead of Peter Pan. Plus we're getting the Avengers E.

We just need a Rapids Ride and another dark ride to reach the original intended build.

RandySavage

With HKDL finally coming into its own, i.e., approaching a full-day park in terms of number attractions, it's interesting to look back on the leaked early Placeholder expansion plan. It is full of clones, likely to show the shortchanged HK investors how the park could have "all the Disney Classic rides" dropped in around the perimeter:
1 Ovr 5 (4) labels.jpg

Here is the earlier version Disney sold HK on and then short-changed. This is the one from the press-release, the one with a Frontierland with rapids, Adventureland with Dino Jungle Coaster, Toontown, Mermaid, Pan, etc.:
Hong Kong (1)a.png

And a portion of the above's plan:
1 ovr 3.JPG

Last edited:

What they didn't build of that list:

Peter Pan's Flight
Little Mermaid dark ride
Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor
River Rapids Ride
It's Tough to Be a Bug
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Jungle Coaster
The Boneyard (?)

Over the years, we got PhilharMagic instead of Bug, Mystic Manor instead of HM, Grizzly Bear instead of the Jungle Coaster, Playland instead of Carpets and a Frozen dark ride instead of Peter Pan. Plus we're getting the Avengers E.

We just need a Rapids Ride and another dark ride to reach the original intended build.
It is also 350 rooms behind its initial target of 2100 rooms. Plus the retail and entertainment district (i.e. HKDL's equivalent of Downtown Disney or Disney Spring) is still missing.

Sad that it took more than 15 years for HKDL to reach the proposed scale...
Let's hope the next 15 years will be a smoother era.

RandySavage

Will it somewhat be like Seven Dwarves Mine Train in terms of level of theming? or a goofy barnstormer situation?
It doen's have nearly the footprint of SDMT. It'll be short (one lift as opposed to SDMT's two). But my expectations are SDMT level of theme-ing, based on the art. I expect it to go in and around a mountain and feel like it's terrain-following (SDMT), not a naked coaster track (Barnstormer). I also expect at least one show-scene, probably on the indoor lift. Anything less, and I'll be disappointed.

Robbiem

It doen's have nearly the footprint of SDMT. It'll be short (one lift as opposed to SDMT's two). But my expectations are SDMT level of theme-ing, based on the art. I expect it to go in and around a mountain and feel like it's terrain-following (SDMT), not a naked coaster track (Barnstormer). I also expect at least one show-scene, probably on the indoor lift. Anything less, and I'll be disappointed.

does anyone know how it compares to the casey jnr coaster in Paris? That’s a fun little ride

Robbiem

It is also 350 rooms behind its initial target of 2100 rooms. Plus the retail and entertainment district (i.e. HKDL's equivalent of Downtown Disney or Disney Spring) is still missing.

Sad that it took more than 15 years for HKDL to reach the proposed scale...
Let's hope the next 15 years will be a smoother era.

lets hope so. Hong Kong has such potential to be a fantastic resort it just needs some TLC and a bit of luck

Do you think they can turn Fantasy Garden area or Clopin's festival of food in Fantasyland into another dark ride? like peter pan maybe
I think they can, and they definitely should!
Around half of the Park's restaurants are always closed due to low attendance.
Since land is so scarce in HKDL, space should be utilised more efficiently.
And with another restaurant coming in Arendelle, the Park can certainly afford removing Clopin's.

Animaniac93-98

I want Clopin's to stay, just because it's the only permanent Hunchback thing in any Disney park (besides the music box in Disneyland).

I'd sooner see the Banquet Hall go. Compared to Cinderella's Royal Table or Auberge de Cendrillon it's not very impressive.

Or replace Clopin's with a dark ride and make the Banquet Hall a bigger Hunchback restaurant.

I want Clopin's to stay, just because it's the only permanent Hunchback thing in any Disney park (besides the music box in Disneyland).

I'd sooner see the Banquet Hall go. Compared to Cinderella's Royal Table or Auberge de Cendrillon it's not very impressive.

Or replace Clopin's with a dark ride and make the Banquet Hall a bigger Hunchback restaurant.
I take your points, but I don't think HKDL will remove Royal Banquet Hall.
Especially when RBH is themed after Disney Princesses and the Castle of Magical Dreams belong to all the princesses.

I do, however, agree the fact that RBH is just a QSR is highly disappointing.
In recent years, RBH offers buffet with character M&G occasionally.
I think they should change this to permanent so as to enhance the overall package of the new castle.
(new facade + BBB + decent high-end restaurant + M&G + day-time show + night-time spectacular)

Talking about restaurants, it's a pity that HKDL removed the Mulan-themed interior of Plaza Inn in Main Street.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom