HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

fradz

It's not wooden, but here's a similar concept in King's Dominion in VA. I've been on this and remember it being a lot of fun though very loud and rickety:

Here's a similar one at Parc Asterix:

This one at Efteling looks more like a waterslide type track and makes the most wonderful sound:

Having done my fair share of Bobsled coasters (7), these are awesome little machines, the one at Efteling was my favorite and the craziest (sadly dismantled at the end of 2019), Disaster Transport @ Cedar Point the most dull (was also dismantled in 2012 IIRC), but even with the Mack models that have 14ppl trains (for example Trace du Hourra @Parc Astérix, or Avalanche @Pleasure Beach Blackpool), there is one thing in common and that struck me : the capacity is awful. The lines move extremely slow.

I don't expect to ever see one in a Disney Park; except of course, if they would work to improve the capacity with the manufacturer. However, Mack & Disney have not collaborated a lot together in the past (Goofy's Sky School is a standard model, SDD is the recent exception). Which is why Disney predominantely works with Vekoma, as they are very flexible. Would be really nice though! Fun ride system.

Toni25

How have things gone back to normal so quickly at the Shanghai resort?
Don't imagine the Chinese have it better. The communists are desperate to show the world how "normal" things are.
They allowed Disneyland to open to seem like everything is under control...and if it takes a wrong turn, the state is there to cover it all up.
On the other side, the western countries would blame the parks if they opened so soon. It's about political correctness.

EDIT: Also, about CASH, of course. The state has interest in that too 🤣

Last edited:

disney.dreams

The National Security Law from National People's Congress to Hong Kong will be imposed soon, which truly damages the unique position of Hong Kong. It is not surprising to see Disney reduce or stop their investments to HKDL in the future, probably never have the second park, or even shut down HKDL (the worst situation).

As a Hong Kong citizen and a hardcore Disney fan, its is a dilemma for me. Of course, I would like to see HKDL getting more expansion projects, becoming a better and more competitive park. But the Hong Kong government and PRC is ruining Hong Kong, my wonderful home. (this statement may already break the national security law as i'm criticizing the PRC) Hong Kong is now a mess and the future is unpredictable, it is selfish to request Disney to invest in something with such a high risk.

Anyway, Hong Kong is not a place, it's a people. The true value of it is the spirit of Hong Kong People. The only thing I can do right now is to pray and wish all the best for Hong Kong.

Last edited:

disney.dreams

Also, it seems like there is 1 new local infection case today. If it is true, it will break the goal of zero increase of local infection case for 28 days once again. The goal is supposed to be achieved on 11 May, but the countdown will then restart again.

Some people think that the Hong Kong government announces new local infection case purposely every time when the goal is almost to be achieved. So that they can extend the group gathering ban to stop people protesting.

But there's is no exact evidence showing that this a trick from the government. It's just an opinion spreading among the Hong Kong society. Yet, if the group gathering ban extends again, it will certainly affect the decision making of the HKDL's reopening.

moe598

The National Security Law from National People's Congress to Hong Kong will be imposed soon, which truly damages the unique position of Hong Kong. It is not surprising to see Disney reduce or stop their investments to HKDL in the future, probably never have the second park, or even shut down HKDL (the worst situation).

As a Hong Kong citizen and a hardcore Disney fan, its is a dilemma for me. Of course, I would like to see HKDL getting more expansion projects, becoming a better and more competitive park. But the Hong Kong government and PRC is ruining Hong Kong, my wonderful home. (this statement may already break the national security law as i'm criticizing the PRC) Hong Kong is now a mess and the future is unpredictable, it is selfish to request Disney to invest in something with such a high risk.

Anyway, Hong Kong is not a place, it's a people. The true value of it is the spirit of Hong Kong People. The only thing I can do right now is to pray and wish all the best for Hong Kong.

I am not sure Disney would pull out of HK at all. Especially if Hk is to meld into China to a greater extent. WDC does have a good working relationship with the Chinese government. Political unrest aside (the US isn’t doing much better - one could argue matters are worse here presently), HKDL should be fine. Especially with Ocean Park scaling down its operations - HKDL will be the only proper theme park in the country. There’s a lot to still work with.

hkdisky

I don’t think HKDL is going to shut down as the situation of Ocean Park is much worse than HKDL. However, I concern how the sanctions that Trump may impose affect HKDL future.

Robbiem

I honestly hope you are ok. I dont like to be political but as a brit I’m so ashamed of the way The British government treated the people of Hong Kong. We failed you in 1997 and we’re doing the same now. Hong Kong is one of my favourite places and I hope your spirit continues to shine. Stay strong and stay safe

Well said. I'm afraid this might be the last large-scale expansion for HKDL.
And yeah I agree with you that the second gate probably won't come to life.

While it may not be appropriate to stir up controversial political topics here, I still want to beg all of you - all lovely Disney fans from all over the world - to pay attention to our dying city and read some news about it if possible, if you have time to spare. And to all other local HKDL fans, we can only stay alive and stay positive.

:cry::cry::cry:

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No

Well said. I'm afraid this might be the last large-scale expansion for HKDL.
And yeah I agree with you that the second gate probably won't come to life.

While it may not be appropriate to stir up controversial political topics here, I still want to beg all of you - all lovely Disney fans from all over the world - to pay attention to our dying city and read some news about it if possible, if you have time to spare. And to all other local HKDL fans, we can only stay alive and stay positive.

:cry::cry::cry:

Thinking of you and your countrymen at this time. The PRC is really f*cking up our respective countries. Hold strong and stay safe!

disney.dreams

I honestly hope you are ok. I dont like to be political but as a brit I’m so ashamed of the way The British government treated the people of Hong Kong. We failed you in 1997 and we’re doing the same now. Hong Kong is one of my favourite places and I hope your spirit continues to shine. Stay strong and stay safe
Thank you for your blessing. Although I have never experienced the time of Hong Kong was governed by the British, I know that you guys have done a lot for Hong Kong. The new airport is the best farewell present given to us, the key to transforming Hong Kong into an international city.

The desperate situation in Hong Kong has caused severe depression for many of us. But I am very grateful that there is someone in the world still standing with us. I know some people may think Hong Kong people are overreacting to the law (both the extradition and the national security law) and may think that the protesting action is too radical. It is true that not all of our action is absolutely correct, but we are forced to do so due to the government‘s incompetence.

disney.dreams

A pro-Beijing legislative council member claimed that the education system of Hong Kong is corrupted as many protestors are students. He suggested the government to transfer HKD 5.4 billion of education funding to operate Ocean Park for one more year only. Yet, around HKD 3 billion of it is used for debt payment to the Bank of China (obviously from the PRC).

For your reference, HKD 5.45 billion is the total amount the government paid for the entire multi-year expansion project of HKDL in 2017 (Moana's stage show, ant-man ride, new castle, Arendelle, refurbishment of attraction in 2021, and Marvel e-ticket attraction). This is the insane things happening in Hong Kong every day.

sma97

I could see a situation where the park stays open, but drops the Disney branding and gets renamed something like "Hong Kong Dreamland".

I can't see them ever doing this. They would have to remove all Disney copyrighted material from the park, basically retheming most rides and restaurants in the park. I see more likely for the park to be demolished than for them to do this.

This is why Eisner threatened EuroDisney may close back on 1994 to get a good deal from banks.

IMDREW

While i hope it never comes true, what would closing a disney themepark for good look like? It would be a PR disaster. I cant see them just selling the park and having another company just have evrything as is. Its such a beautiful resort/park with good rides and hotels.

Explorers Lodge and Mystic Manor are Disney at their best. Letting someone else have it just seems so wrong! I’d rather have them demolish it all then sell it off. At least it will live on in my memory.

Animaniac93-98

I can't see them ever doing this. They would have to remove all Disney copyrighted material from the park, basically retheming most rides and restaurants in the park. I see more likely for the park to be demolished than for them to do this.

It would cost more money to demo the park than retheme it.

We're talking about signs and set pieces. Most buildings and ride systems could remain unchanged, as they did when Paramount sold its parks to Cedar Fair.

Sir_Cliff

I really feel for the people of Hong Kong as it is tragic what Beijing is trying to and largely getting away with doing.

As for HKDL, though, I don't see why this would see Disney pulling out. Disney already works very closely with the Chinese government in Shanghai and see this relationship as important to the company's future. I also doubt the Chinese government would like the embarrassment of the first-ever closure of a Disney park rolled into all the existing negative coverage the impact of their repression of civil rights in HK. In other words, however much money the park loses for the foreseeable future, I think there are enough factors that will keep Disney in HK for a while yet.

a bit off-topic, but hkdl just released the full version of mickey and the wondrous book to cheer us up!
there are close-up shots of the performers, and more importantly, both Cantonese and English subtitles are provided

Would prefer official full version of discontinued shows such as Golden Mickeys and Disney in the Stars instead
but well, this is still better than nothing

By the way, according to the local fan page This Is Mr. B, the front of the new castle is now complete
Too bad that there are new local cases (coincidentally just before some political dates), probably the reopening date has to be postponed again

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom