HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

moe598

Do you guys think the marvel e-Ticket project will be axed?

No way IMO. Funds are already allocated and in place for it to happen - the big deal here is the half of it is being footed by local taxpayers.

they also wouldn’t have spent time and money clearing out the Autopia area for nothing. TBH it’s likely delayed like everything else in this expansion is.

given what’s happening with COVID around the world and with Hong Kong reporting zero new cases today - I would imagine a reopening is around the corner. And how ironic would it be that Disney’s weakest castle park is generating more revenue than the closed stateside parks.

I don’t think the future is bleak for HKDL - if anything it should be brighter.

Wait, what? 😅 Will mainlanders be denied access at Ocean Park's waterpark next year? If not, then your argument does not hold up with regards to HKDL.

Also, Ocean Park has been there since 1977, but that didn't stop Disney from opening HKDL there. So a water park is not impossible, unless Hong Kong only allows for one theme park to have a water park (spoiler: they don't)
Dear, seems like you have a bit of misunderstanding regarding his post.
What he means is that as long as there are guests from the Mainland in the waterpark, Hongkongers will be discouraged from visiting it. This is because the mainlanders are super dirty and unhygienic. They'd probably pee and poo in the pool.

Regarding your second point, basically HK was suffering from an economic downturn due to the 1998 Asian financial tsunami. They were in desperate need of boosting the market and they thought building a Disney theme park would be a solution. Ocean Park was also suffering from losses at that time, that's why HKDL was built. However, since HKDL is not performing as well as their anticipation, the government has since then avoided competition between the two local parks. One example would be rejecting HKDL's Glacier Bay expansion plan due to the presence of a Polar-themed land in Ocean Park. So having a waterpark in OP will DEFINITELY hinder HKDL from having one.

Do you guys think the marvel e-Ticket project will be axed?
They CANNOT.
Coz it's jointly paid by WDC and the HKSAR government.
Half of the fund comes from the taxpayers and it was approved in the Legislative Council.
Probably would end up with some legal consequences if they put the expansion in halt.
If there is any (negative) impacts affecting HKDL's future plans due to the social unrest in 2019 and COVID in 2020, it would be at least after 2023.

hkdisky

Will mainlanders be denied access at Ocean Park's waterpark next year?
Haha, absolutely not. I mean that’s what the young generation thought as they think the water park will eventually become the mainlanders‘s public toilet and bathroom.

Ocean Park has been there since 1977, but that didn't stop Disney from opening HKDL there
Ocean park is simply a combination of aquarium and amusement park, it was difficult to compare with HKDL. However, I think disney’s water park is difficult to make a huge competitive advantage because people go to water park is just want to get wet. Also, I don’t think tourists will come to HK for a disney water park.

So a water park is not impossible, unless Hong Kong only allows for one theme park to have a water park
Maybe I change to not cost effective compared to expand the existing park or build a downtown disney.

BrianLo

Every resort except Shanghai has this attraction. So would all 5 resorts get the new film?

Oh ya, totally forgot. That was another reason that it seemed likely a new film was currently being worked on. The sudden addition into DLR/DLP.

Yes, presumably they'd all get it. A sort of 'freebie' for HKDL.

Stevie Amsterdam

Dear, seems like you have a bit of misunderstanding regarding his post.
What he means is that as long as there are guests from the Mainland in the waterpark, Hongkongers will be discouraged from visiting it. This is because the mainlanders are super dirty and unhygienic. They'd probably pee and poo in the pool.

Regarding your second point, basically HK was suffering from an economic downturn due to the 1998 Asian financial tsunami. They were in desperate need of boosting the market and they thought building a Disney theme park would be a solution. Ocean Park was also suffering from losses at that time, that's why HKDL was built. However, since HKDL is not performing as well as their anticipation, the government has since then avoided competition between the two local parks. One example would be rejecting HKDL's Glacier Bay expansion plan due to the presence of a Polar-themed land in Ocean Park. So having a waterpark in OP will DEFINITELY hinder HKDL from having one.
Thanks for shining your light on this. What I get from your post however, is that the people from Hong Kong will not visit OP's water park, because mainlanders will not be denied access, is that correct?

hkdisky

Thanks for shining your light on this. What I get from your post however, is that the people from Hong Kong will not visit OP's water park, because mainlanders will not be denied access, is that correct?
Part of the people (especially young generation).

I’m wondering why HKDL doesn’t offer airport shuttle since it’s not easy to take public transport from HK airport to HKDL.

Animaniac93-98

Part of the people (especially young generation).

I’m wondering why HKDL doesn’t offer airport shuttle since it’s not easy to take public transport from HK airport to HKDL.

There is an airport shuttle.

You book it over email after you make your hotel reservation.

It's not Disney owned/branded, but it's a third party shuttle owner who's partnered with Disney.

HKDLer

That is a major deterring factor, apart from weaker seasonal events (notably Easter and Halloween) over the years.

Last edited:

Robbiem

some sort of downtown area would be a good way to start building Hong Kong into a true resort, it would encourage people to spend more time at the resort especially if it had some attractions as well as shopping and dining, maybe an observation platform or balloon and some interactive experiences based on Disney IPs. .

I also think it would be interesting to see a boutique resort experience like wDW’s star wars hotel with some standalone attraction/storyline. Maybe something like a murder mystery weekend type experience but based on Marvel or Indy, you could even separate adults and children cruise ship style and have a ‘space camp’ style experience based on the avengers or similar, ir incorporate this into the downtown area.

I think it would be really interesting to see Hong Kong take a different route to other resort, its a fantastic location and has the makings of a great resort but needs more to do and different things to stand out from the other resorts in the region

IMDREW

some sort of downtown area would be a good way to start building Hong Kong into a true resort, it would encourage people to spend more time at the resort especially if it had some attractions as well as shopping and dining, maybe an observation platform or balloon and some interactive experiences based on Disney IPs. .

I also think it would be interesting to see a boutique resort experience like wDW’s star wars hotel with some standalone attraction/storyline. Maybe something like a murder mystery weekend type experience but based on Marvel or Indy, you could even separate adults and children cruise ship style and have a ‘space camp’ style experience based on the avengers or similar, ir incorporate this into the downtown area.

I think it would be really interesting to see Hong Kong take a different route to other resort, its a fantastic location and has the makings of a great resort but needs more to do and different things to stand out from the other resorts in the region
A movie theater, restaurants, shops and a massive Disney Store. I'd love for them to call it Disney Street. Because it would be one straight walkway unlike the other Downtown Disneys in other resorts. I'd defenitely stay at least a day more per trip if they'd have something like this. It's the obvious next step isn't it? Why have they never moved forward with it? Just a Disney store and Starbucks alone would make it better!

halbjobri

Perhaps unrelated but I find this statement quite xenophobic and racist. Not all mainlanders are unhygienic; overgeneralising is not what we need in this current world climate.

Perhaps unrelated but I find this statement quite xenophobic and racist. Not all mainlanders are unhygienic; overgeneralising is not what we need in this current world climate.
Of course I am not referring to ALL of them. I do agree the newer generation from more well-off cities behave better.
I am just explaining to Stevie about what hkdisky means: a general negative impression towards the mainland guests would discourage the locals from visiting the water park in OP. If you have read thoroughly the entire thread of posts between hkdisky, Stevie and I instead of overmagnifying a certain statement, we were just talking about the possibility of having one water park in HKDL - no intention to discriminate against anyone. Plus you can't deny that some (if not most) of them are really quite unhygienic and tend to misbehave in crowds, e.g. peeing publicly and jumping queues, as supported by various news reports.

Last edited:

disney.dreams

there are some more aerial photos of the castle and arendelle
1587802097962.png

1587802341824.png

i found those from

SweetDuffy101

Its kinda a bummer since Hongkong Disneyland Will only now have one launch site for pyrotechnics. since the other one is being occupied by frozen and there will be no replacements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom