HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

Animaniac93-98

The park has versions of or the equivalents of most Magic Kingdom E-tickets (Small World, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain), but what it really needs is a version of Pirates or something like it on that scale. The weather is so humid it could do with more rides that get you wet.

BrianLo

The park has versions of or the equivalents of most Magic Kingdom E-tickets (Small World, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain), but what it really needs is a version of Pirates or something like it on that scale. The weather is so humid it could do with more rides that get you wet.

Agreed. For better or worse it is a boat ride, family coaster and a large scale E-ticket (?simulator?) that forms the backbone of this latest expansion. Which I think is mostly a good call.

The park used to get hilariously short on things to do in the rain. Even post Mystic Manor. This further helps.

Grizzly Gulch deserves a Grizzly River Run knock off with animatronics. Or Splash-esque. There is a perfect plot for either.

Robbiem

Grizzly Gulch deserves a Grizzly River Run knock off with animatronics. Or Splash-esque. There is a perfect plot for either.

I love this idea. A grizzly river version of the old western river adventure would be awesome. I’d also love to see a splash type flume ride themed to jungle book maybe using the sinbad aminatronic tech from tokyo.

The resort could also do with a downtown area between the park, hotels and MTR to make it feel like a true resort rather than a day trip from the city

Hong Kong is a beautiful park and has to be the most picturesque location of any Disney resort I really hope it turns a corner

Animaniac93-98

The resort could also do with a downtown area between the park, hotels and MTR to make it feel like a true resort rather than a day trip from the city

I may be alone in thinking this, but I really don't want a DTD at HKDL.

The current walkway from the Disneyland Hotel to the park is so nicely landscaped and quiet I enjoy it much more than going through Disney Village to get to the parks in Paris, or DTD in California.

Shopping is already a major draw in Hong Kong, with plenty of malls to suit the needs of tourists. I don't think Disney really needs one with higher prices on everything.

I think a water park would be a better addition to the resort in the medium term. Not as expensive as a 2nd gate, but still a big enough draw to encourage repeat visits and longer hotel stays.

BrianLo

I think a water park would be a better addition to the resort in the medium term. Not as expensive as a 2nd gate, but still a big enough draw to encourage repeat visits and longer hotel stays.

I’d never really considered that!

I’d only be hesitant on them wasting the 2nd park expansion pad, but upon further reflection a water park very easily could fit into the eastern hotel block.

Of course then it gets to the matter of will attendance ever allow a second park? But at least a water park is another nice interim hedge the bets.

Robbiem

A water park on the eastern hotel expansion area would be a great idea and something which would set the resort apart from the other Disneylands in Asia. Its a shame they built frozen land in Disneyland as they could have built a frozen themed version of blizzard beach. With that & the flower park on part of the second park plot the resort will begin to feel more like a resort.

I would still like to see something outside the park though in the planned R&D area. Yes Hong Kong has tons of shopping but with its early closing hours there isn’t anything to keep people at the resort past about 8pm and there’s less incentive to stay at the resort- I certainly couldn’t justify staying there vs taking the train from the city but id love there to be enough to do to justify a stay at the resort one day.

The major concern regarding the water park idea will be the rivalry from the local Ocean Park. I don't think the HK government will let Disney build another water park to avoid keen competition between the two parks. (Just in case you don't know) The HK government banned the idea of HKDL's Glacier Bay just because Ocean Park has another ice-related themed land (which is a very bad land IMO). The government is just dumb.

Oh by the way, Frozen II is epic. I am wondering if they will update Frozen Ever After and add some new scenes in it, since we still have one year's time. Or will they utilise the small plot of land close to Fantasy Gardens to build a charming small walkthrough attraction of the Enchanted Forest? I would love to see features of Frozen II in Arendelle: World of Frozen! What do you guys think?

MagicHK

C6C314CC-BBC9-4B93-A8CA-44179086B215.jpeg

There was some questions asking why part of the phase 2 land was cleared. Here is the answer:
Apparently the land was rented by The Hong Kong Scout and they had their 105th anniversary Jamboree during the end of 2016.

Latest satellite photo taken in 2019 showing the grass has grown back.

2802827C-C47D-45B9-8EF4-07C9E69BDFE6.jpeg

HongKongFu

The major concern regarding the water park idea will be the rivalry from the local Ocean Park. I don't think the HK government will let Disney build another water park to avoid keen competition between the two parks.

Wait a minute here........did you just say in so many words that Ocean Park is a "water park"?

I ,unfortunately, went to Ocean Park a few years back and I don't remember swimsuits and water slides. I remember carnival grade horrifically lousy off the shelf garbage that I would not ride if even free admission.

halbjobri

Wait a minute here........did you just say in so many words that Ocean Park is a "water park"?

I ,unfortunately, went to Ocean Park a few years back and I don't remember swimsuits and water slides. I remember carnival grade horrifically lousy off the shelf garbage that I would not ride if even free admission.
Ocean Park is building a brand new indoor water park. They've basically beaten HKDL to the second park thing already.

They are building one water park, opening next year or 2021.

Ismael Flores

Love the pictures of the Castle looming over Adventureland. The different tower architectures really help add mystery to the structure hidden behind the green growth

HongKongFu

indoor water park.

You've got to be kidding. This will be worse than a Great Wolf Lodge 4 slides, a stupid funnel and a large bucket fill that drops on young kids every 10 minutes.......If it's commensurate with Ocean Park's existing level of fun.
This will not be a Blizzard, Typhoon or Volcano Bay.

hkdisky

You've got to be kidding. This will be worse than a Great Wolf Lodge 4 slides, a stupid funnel and a large bucket fill that drops on young kids every 10 minutes.......If it's commensurate with Ocean Park's existing level of fun.

The concept art of the Ocean Park Water Park
96B247D3-BBB2-4E6D-BC06-18C2FB6D3AFD.jpeg

I’d never really considered that!

I’d only be hesitant on them wasting the 2nd park expansion pad, but upon further reflection a water park very easily could fit into the eastern hotel block.

Of course then it gets to the matter of will attendance ever allow a second park? But at least a water park is another nice interim hedge the bets.

The 2nd park expansion pad does not belong to HK Disney yet. According to the agreement made in 1999, HKDL has the priority to purchase the land with HKD 0.28 billion (plus inflation) before 2019. However, the park has two opportunities to extend the purchase right for 5 years (I think HKDL has exercised the first extension right). The second five-year extension right required to achieve 8 million attendance. That’s why the current expansion plan is last to 2023, they want to boost the attendance in 2023-2024 to secure the second extension right.

Refer to the current expansion plan, the second park consist of 4-5 theme area with at least 2 e-tickets may cost at least HKD 20 billion. Therefore, the park has to seek fund from the two shareholders (Disney and HK Gov). However, it is difficult to obtain LegCo’s approval to get 10 billion dollars from the government. (Due to the housing problem, some members of LegCo and district council want the government turns the 2nd park pad to a residential area.)

I hope the current expansion plan can help the park make long term profit. Once the attendance level achieve 10 million (in 2025?), the park can have enough money to build the 2nd gate without passing the LegCo.

malice

current Construction progress

1574774461947.jpeg

HKDLer

These are fan made FEA plans found on a French site. I just hope they could incorporate elements from Frozen 2 into the ride rather than making it an exact Epcot clone. With just two Fantasyland dark rides (the other being Pooh), HKDL still suffers from a weak attraction lineup. Personally, I think building Tokyo's Fantasy Springs in Hong Kong is better than having a clone ride and coaster+mediocre Marvel rides.

1_plan12.jpg

2_plan11.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom