HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

RandySavage

I've been a fan of this project from the beginning but that twitter link above scares me... those pieces - in their texture, colors, elements and proportions - look like some dreadful Barbie playset blown up to gargantuan size, waiting for Giant Dad to put together for his 5-year old Giant Daughter.

The image is reminiscent of those really cheap, defunct knock-off Disneylands built in China and Japan years ago. Hoping the end result is much more than the sum of those parts.

ParkPeeker

It doesn't look barbie-playsety to me, our castle in CA currently looks that way. But it is colorfully messy, in a way that more and more looks fine each time I look back at it. Sometimes it looks russian-temply to me. I especially love the gold and blue domes. Like @brihow the colorful mess is growing on me...

ParkPeeker

I initially really wanted it to have a color scheme like tokyo's (uniform but also realistic, unlike any of the other castles currently) because of the hills, and was appalled when we first saw the ice-cream-shop-esque aquamarine colored roof. But I'm starting to come around to the color decisions. Someone on a facebook post commented this

and it's making me reassess my feelings towards the castle color scheme.

ParkPeeker

If you look long enough at the d23 model and bluepirnts/artwork, you'll see that there are a bunch of little changes (like the added roof on the lower right of the castle below the blue dome tower, which is instead a castle wall thingy on the d23 model) (or the removal of at least one of the buttresses on the front of the castle).

But one change I'm really happy about is the movement of the blue domed tower forward (not completely sure if the roofs beside/below it are also moved forward, but I hope they are).

why? because this gap between the old and new castle really bothered me.

Also it'll look a little less flat than the model does (let's be real, the added castle looks like a pancake from the side ). pls pls pls have the roofs that are attached to that tower also be moved forward a bit.

ParkPeeker

I've been working on another edit of the castle, trying to work on my editing skills to make it look as realistic as possible, but I've had to edit it so many times to add in the pieces that keep coming in daily. I s2g they're gunna beat me to it.

Edit: slight edit

Last edited:

RandySavage

^ Good eye. For me, the flying buttresses spiraling up the main tower are by far the best aspect of the new castle, so I'll be disappointed if that aspect is reduced or diminished. It does look like they skipped one.

Edit: While the model has five, the latest front art shows three and it seems that is what is being built. I like the model's five better.

Last edited:

IMDREW

^ Good eye. For me, the flying buttresses spiraling up the main tower are by far the best aspect of the new castle, so I'll be disappointed if that aspect is reduced or diminished. It does look like they skipped one.
View attachment 407177

Edit: While the model has five, the latest front art shows three and it seems that is what is being built. I like the model's five better.
I thought maybe it's better for the nighttime show projections. Because they have three now instead of the original five, it leaves a bit more flat wall to project upon.. Still think the model version is better though, but it's something I can live with. I'm really loving how it's turning out!

ParkPeeker

The castle fits really well with their medieval festival fantasyland

source: Hong Kong Main Street Gazette l 大街小報 on youtube

All of you calling it Frankenstein castle, start calling it Quasimodo castle instead. This is Quasimodo castle and no one can tell me differently

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom