HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

HKDLer

Could the reimagined attraction be outside of fantasyland and tomorrowland where most of the focus has been? Peter pan would be a new ride system, so that leaves us with either a new film for philharmagic, or a permanent overlay of space mountain (unlikely given the marvel attention the land is already receiving).

How about a Lion King or Jungle Book overlay to the Jungle Cruise?

25C02BD0-3E34-41BF-8955-D68438520360.jpeg

This has always been the plan.
Photo courtesy: This is Mr. B

A104DF1C-037F-4F59-8ABD-3E4D21D2CFBF.jpeg

And no, the Avengers building doesn’t go beyond the train spur line.

Last edited:

nevol

View attachment 343878
This has always been the plan.
Photo courtesy: This is Mr. B

View attachment 343882
And no, the Avengers building doesn’t go beyond the train spur line.
For clarification, are you telling me that the avenger's coaster and space mountain are the same thing? This would be news to many people. I am fairly certain that new structure is adjacent to Iron Man Experience, and the vantage point of this concept art, given the architectural detail in the bottom left corner, is over the roof of space mountain.

HKDLer

For clarification, are you telling me that the avenger's coaster and space mountain are the same thing? This would be news to many people. I am fairly certain that new structure is adjacent to Iron Man Experience, and the vantage point of this concept art, given the architectural detail in the bottom left corner, is over the roof of space mountain.
No they’re different projects. As I wrote earlier, 2021 will be the time when Star Wars leaves the mountain.

nevol

No they’re different projects. As I wrote earlier, 2021 will be the time when Star Wars leaves the mountain.

Okay thanks! The way your other post was worded made it sound like you were implying that Space Mountain was to become the avengers attraction. Thanks for the clarification!

PymParty

@HKDLer what do you think the overlay of SM will be ?
For sure it will not be Marvel because Tomorrowland will stay after the opening of Marvel land and it cannot have only Orbitron as ride.

BrianLo

This is actually possible and would be the most plausible answer
But after looking at this paper from the legislative Council of Hong Kong (https://www.legco.gov.hk/yr17-18/english/panels/edev/papers/edev20180226cb4-599-5-e.pdf), which is the moment when the date shift for the expansion was quietly announced (February 2018), you can see on page 5 that the "re-imagined project" is still announced for 2021 although Frozen is announced for the same year (see screenshot).

View attachment 343823

also, as it is this specific expansion plan that the LegCo of Hong Kong voted for, i don't think Disney could modify it without any consultation from the HK Gov.

The SDWT style coaster was announced in May of that year and I can't believe the change was decided quickly between February and May. I think the additional cost that came with the coaster was taken from other projects, for example the Moana stage has been considerably scaled down between the first concept art and the final product.

Therefore, I still believe the re-imagined project is happening in 2021 and I think we will hear about it soon, maybe D23 ?

I just read that again. I had not seen them officially anywhere mention the changed dates (i.e. Ant Man 2019-2021 Frozen) AND still mention the Marvel attraction staying in 2023. That was all just speculation on my part that the Marvel attraction would come on time.

I actually believe it slightly more that there is a possibility a revised attraction plans still might not have been absorbed into Frozen now based on this. But I won't totally get my hopes up and just assume Frozen possibly absorbed it. Hopefully they talk about it again, although it probably would only be an 18 month turnaround for whatever it winds up being. I also would not be surprised *IF* it was a thing they'd want it pushed to 2022 to spread things out.

BrianLo

Could the reimagined attraction be outside of fantasyland and tomorrowland where most of the focus has been? Peter pan would be a new ride system, so that leaves us with either a new film for philharmagic, or a permanent overlay of space mountain (unlikely given the marvel attention the land is already receiving).

How about a Lion King or Jungle Book overlay to the Jungle Cruise?

Philharmagic is widely believed to be a plan for MK's 50th. With animation apparently happening. So it could just be as simple as "we'll give you Philharmagic in 2021, but you can't talk about it yet since we are holding onto it for MK".

^Thanks. Size becomes a question now, as a re-themed SDMT clone would take a lot more than the originally allocated space. Hoping this is an all-new coaster, same level of theme-ing as SDMT and no less duration.

Lest we forget SDMT wasn't the most efficient use of space.

image.jpg

Timothy_Q

I spoke w someone who knows people involved in the design of the castle. The awful color scheme in the press release was chosen intentionally so that when the project is finally revealed and has a normal paint job, it will turn out better than expected and be treated as a major success.
If that's true, sounds like they weren't very confident in the project to begin with

nevol

If that's true, sounds like they weren't very confident in the project to begin with
It is an odd approach indeed. In the past, concept artists from animation backgrounds painted beautiful concept art for the parks that drove design and also stood alone as artworks. In this case, they are confident enough in the project to move ahead, yet can't create decent artwork of it? Instead, they're creating intentionally BAD art so that we are surprised when the project looks good in any capacity?

Animaniac93-98

This is apples to oranges as the Disney graphic doesnt give exact arch. elevations, but the pic @D231016 posted allows a little bit of a side by side. I tried to align the tops of the tallest towers on the two SB castle bases.

View attachment 344594

The before & after photos come 2020 are going to be pretty cool...

Is Tokyo really shorter than Orlando? I thought it was an exact copy?

Animaniac93-98

Same. Internet gives conflicting info, some sites saying replica, some giving a shorter height for Tokyo. Elevations from the 2010 WDI book make them appear to be the same size.

It's impossible to tell just by pictures online, looking at their profiles they seem the same. Maybe Tokyo has a shorter base, due to the shallower moat? It doesn't make sense to just build it 20ft shorter.

1548526112413.png

1548526125713.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom