HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

^It's a good question. I think it they will re-route the extention RR track with a more extreme S-curve (similar to Star Wars Land) to maximize the area available for Avengers. It would still take up the Autopia area above and left of Space Mountain, but would give them the required space (the right half of your yellow loop to Iron Man) to fit the showbuilding.
I don't really think they'd have to reroute the railroad. I mean it's quite common for HKDL to build beyond the tracks, e.g. Fantasyland Theatre for Golden Mickeys (past) and Wondrous Book (present), iasw, TSL, MP, GG.

Timothy_Q

I don't really think they'd have to reroute the railroad. I mean it's quite common for HKDL to build beyond the tracks, e.g. Fantasyland Theatre for Golden Mickeys (past) and Wondrous Book (present), iasw, TSL, MP, GG.
The problem is not crossing the railroad.

The problem is that the tracks go right in the middle of the plot of land they’re using

XtianP

1548238657836.png

I couldn't have said it better myself... wait, I did it like a year ago... Btw, I didn't use Photoshop but GIMP :cool:

I was skeptical about how the new HK castle might look from MS. But after seeing @IMDREW 's edit, I think it can work. But I think a DLP inspired castle would have worked better. I want to know how they will integrate the back with the rest of Fantasyland. Here is a simulation I did on photoshop from a different angle.View attachment 341576

IMDREW

I read somewhere that they have enough space for a Peter Plan's Flight ride in the existing infrastructure. They apparently had from the beginning of the park. Anyone know if that's true, why they haven't used it, where it would be located and if they plan on using it soon?

PymParty

I read somewhere that they have enough space for a Peter Plan's Flight ride in the existing infrastructure. They apparently had from the beginning of the park. Anyone know if that's true, why they haven't used it, where it would be located and if they plan on using it soon?

I read somewhere that the "re-imagined Project" announced for 2021 as part of the expansion plan (i wonder why nobody ever talks about it) would in fact be a new dark ride (possibly Peter Pan's Flight) taking over the building which is occupied by the aging Mickey's Philharmagic.

Capture d’écran 2019-01-23 à 14.13.17.png

A similar transformation is happening at DCA with the ITTBAB Theater becoming the Spider-Man ride

Last edited:

IMDREW

But I think a new Peter Pan ride would surely be called more than just a "re-imagining" right? It would be awesome though! Imo Peter Pan's Flight is one thing that's really missing from HKDL.

RandySavage

I recall that rumor, as well. My understanding from looking at the pre-opening plan shown in EPCOT's China Pavilion back in 2005, is that they planned on potentially extending the eastern block of Fantasyland out towards the parade route (taking out Festival of Foods in the process) for it.

BrianLo

I read somewhere that the "re-imagined Project" announced for 2021 as part of the expansion plan (i wonder why nobody ever talks about it) would in fact be a new dark ride (possibly Peter Pan's Flight) taking over the building which is occupied by the aging Mickey's Philharmagic.

View attachment 343615
A similar transformation is happening at DCA with the ITTBAB Theater becoming the Spider-Man ride

I have not seen any further mention of the 2021 project outside of the initial proposal, but didn't forget about it.

My assumption is that the money for it (since Disney and LegCo) did not increase the budget, was that it wound up being added into Arendelle for the coaster.

A fantasyland change is a reasonable guess, this is basically the Shanghai apology tour expansion project. I had also thought it was Toy Story Midway Mania (not realizing the wording was that it was a reimagined attraction and not just another new attraction).

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 3.18.46 PM.png

My further assumption is that everything shifted 9 months, Frozen ate the 2021 attraction budget and Marvel still comes on time for 2023.

BrianLo

With the castle being 2020, how much of the 15th anniversary is going to center around the castle or will there even be a 15th anniversary event?

Theoretically it should be open for the Spring/Summer of 2020. The anniversary itself isn't actually until September. So I'd actually imagine the new castle, forecourt stage show / nighttime fireworks show will be 15th branded or marketed and kick it off.

They could essentially run 15th anniversary marketing from the opening of the castle and then finish it just before Frozen opens. Presumably that would be a year-16 months or so. Unintentional benefit from the project delay, but marketing should be happy.

PymParty

I have not seen any further mention of the 2021 project outside of the initial proposal, but didn't forget about it.

My assumption is that the money for it (since Disney and LegCo) did not increase the budget, was that it wound up being added into Arendelle for the coaster.

A fantasyland change is a reasonable guess, this is basically the Shanghai apology tour expansion project. I had also thought it was Toy Story Midway Mania (not realizing the wording was that it was a reimagined attraction and not just another new attraction).

View attachment 343815

My further assumption is that everything shifted 9 months, Frozen ate the 2021 attraction budget and Marvel still comes on time for 2023.

This is actually possible and would be the most plausible answer
But after looking at this paper from the legislative Council of Hong Kong (https://www.legco.gov.hk/yr17-18/english/panels/edev/papers/edev20180226cb4-599-5-e.pdf), which is the moment when the date shift for the expansion was quietly announced (February 2018), you can see on page 5 that the "re-imagined project" is still announced for 2021 although Frozen is announced for the same year (see screenshot).

Capture d’écran 2019-01-23 à 23.32.43.png

also, as it is this specific expansion plan that the LegCo of Hong Kong voted for, i don't think Disney could modify it without any consultation from the HK Gov.

The SDWT style coaster was announced in May of that year and I can't believe the change was decided quickly between February and May. I think the additional cost that came with the coaster was taken from other projects, for example the Moana stage has been considerably scaled down between the first concept art and the final product.

Therefore, I still believe the re-imagined project is happening in 2021 and I think we will hear about it soon, maybe D23 ?

Last edited:

RandySavage

^The coaster was never technically announced, was it? There was just the changing of the main concept art. I'm hoping that a well-themed coaster is built instead of Luigi's Sleds, but is it set in stone? Insider confirmation? You'd think they'd crow about that kind of upgrade when the art changed...

Last edited:

PymParty

D231016

View attachment 343599

as you can see on this aerial view of Frozen Land construction posted on Themeparx.com in September, they rerouted the backstage road so we can expect the land to be larger than what was initially annouced.
This answers the questions about fitting the SDMT-style coaster in such a small area.

View attachment 343600View attachment 343601

20180816225548.png

After a quick comparison, I don't think the expansion area is enlarged, as it looks like they are sticking with the original land-use plan.

BrianLo

^The coaster was never technically announced, was it? There was just the changing of the main concept art. I'm hoping that a well-themed coaster is built instead of Luigi's Sleds, but is it set in stone? Insider confirmation? You'd think they'd crow about that kind of upgrade when the art changed...

It was super buried in one of the press releases when the revised concept art was revealed in May 2018.

"They will enjoy an exciting family thrill ride that traverses the natural landscape, built by Wandering Oaken for this special occasion."

RandySavage

^Thanks. Size becomes a question now, as a re-themed SDMT clone would take a lot more than the originally allocated space. Hoping this is an all-new coaster, same level of theme-ing as SDMT and no less duration.

View attachment 343846
After a quick comparison, I don't think the expansion area is enlarged, as it looks like they are sticking with the original land-use plan.
It looks like the backstage road has moved from bottom yellow line to the bottom red line. Of course those features/building would need to be cleared to make use of the added space.

Last edited:

nevol

Could the reimagined attraction be outside of fantasyland and tomorrowland where most of the focus has been? Peter pan would be a new ride system, so that leaves us with either a new film for philharmagic, or a permanent overlay of space mountain (unlikely given the marvel attention the land is already receiving).

How about a Lion King or Jungle Book overlay to the Jungle Cruise?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom