HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

Sped2424

Update: Hong Kong Government approved funding. We will be seeing this project going forward and something new will be arriving every year up to 2020.
Any word on the frozen plan changing? Spirit mentioned that the clone of our epcot version was now dead for something unique to hkdl.

britain

Any word on the frozen plan changing? Spirit mentioned that the clone of our epcot version was now dead for something unique to hkdl.

I bet this is the Shanghai Pirates system going into another park @WDW1974 was referring to. It makes too much sense. Why build a clone of a basic flume that gave WDI headaches when trying to time effects & music at the Epcot version, when you can use this shiny new system that gives perfect control on boat flow-through?

2351metalcloud

%25E9%25A6%2599%25E6%25B8%25AF%25E8%25BF%25AA%25E5%25A3%25AB%25E5%25B0%25BC%25E6%25A8%2582%25E5%259C%2592%25E5%25BA%25A6%25E5%2581%2587%25E5%258D%2580%2B%25E5%2585%25AC%25E4%25BD%2588%2B2018%25E8%2587%25B32023%25E5%25B9%25B4%2B%25E6%25A8%2582%25E5%259C%2592%25E6%2593%25B4%25E5%25BB%25BA%25E5%258F%258A%25E7%2599%25BC%25E5%25B1%2595%25E8%25A8%2588%25E5%258A%2583%2B%25284%2529.jpg

They could retheme or add an overlay on to Space Mountain to make it like you're going through the portal in Heimdall's Observatory from the Thor movies and going to the planet with the Frost Giants or some other places. I wondered why they hadn't tried an overlay on to Space Mountain before like that in Anaheim. The portal from the movie has seemed reminiscent to me of the tunnel that you go through at the beginning of Space Mountain.

BrianLo

I bet this is the Shanghai Pirates system going into another park @WDW1974 was referring to. It makes too much sense. Why build a clone of a basic flume that gave WDI headaches when trying to time effects & music at the Epcot version, when you can use this shiny new system that gives perfect control on boat flow-through?

I highly suspect that's it. He dropped both facts in too close proximity for them to be unrelated.

peep

Really glad this got approved. Considering the first addition is meant for next year construction will have to start fairly soon?

No Name

I saw this a few days ago, and of course, wonderful news! Excited for many things that are to come.

The castle change is something I'm particularly excited about.

I would be fine with an improved Frozen ride. But I also remember how people commented that Frozen Ever After seemed like the perfect classic Fantasyland ride, and, well, this time they're building it in Fantasyland. Kind of in Fantasyland, at least. So I would not be opposed to a near clone of FEA.

And the Marvel ride coming in 2023 should be, well, not the most Magic-Kingdom-style of all rides, but it should be epic. Hopefully comparable in quality to Shanghai Pirates and Battle Escape. Hopefully a major major draw for the park.

Not at all thrilled about the Buzz retheme. But everything else... can't come soon enough!

peep

Not at all thrilled about the Buzz retheme

Honestly I'm a little sick of Toy Story in the parks but at least a re-theme here opens up the possibility of a Toy Story themed interactive ride over in the Playland area? I'm really intrigued as to how they'll pull off the Ant-Man theme.

BrianLo

I'm still a little confused that TSMM didn't end up in the plans (nor has it wound up in WDS or seemingly Shanghai). Compared to most other parks, Hong Kong could very easily get away with the two track version. The plot sits open for it and I can't imagine it's all that expensive of a ride, has the theming ready to go for it and R&D done. It seems like an acceptable 2021/2022 addition if they are keeping the gap for Marvel. Especially if Buzz is going away, I'm even more shocked it didn't come this decade frankly.

I know it's not everyone's go-to favourite, but there is no denying it's been incredibly popular, repeatable and would drive attendance for a smaller cost outlay.

With frozen avoiding that small pad, it's not like it could go to much use unless the whole Toy Story playland was removed. I'm sure some would love that, but that's a good 15+ years out from the realm of possibilities.

Jones14

So is Frozen still set to make a 2020 opening? If they're throwing FEA out the window, then they must have plans ready to go for the new version. If not, we're probably looking at a 2021 opening at best for the Frozen area.

RandySavage

So is Frozen still set to make a 2020 opening? If they're throwing FEA out the window, then they must have plans ready to go for the new version. If not, we're probably looking at a 2021 opening at best for the Frozen area.
I'd be surprised if everything on that initial schedule doesn't get pushed back 9-15 months. Once they break ground (and they'll likely post that event) it will take ~ 2.5-3 years to build Arendelle.

I'm still a little confused that TSMM didn't end up in the plans (nor has it wound up in WDS or seemingly Shanghai). Compared to most other parks, Hong Kong could very easily get away with the two track version. The plot sits open for it and I can't imagine it's all that expensive of a ride, has the theming ready to go for it and R&D done. It seems like an acceptable 2021/2022 addition if they are keeping the gap for Marvel. Especially if Buzz is going away, I'm even more shocked it didn't come this decade frankly.

Disney offered TSMM to HKDL but the local management turned it down as being too similar to Buzz and too expensive.

clemmo

I haven't really followed much of the HKDL expansion but what is the 2018 marvel attraction taking over buzz? Also if frozen is scheduled to come in 2020 shouldn't it start this year?

peep

what is the 2018 marvel attraction taking over buzz?

It's an Ant-Man theme, which I think sounds cool. Is Buzz closed yet for this transformation? I feel like the current proposed dates don't match what is currently being constructed?

It would be nice if they can fill in the gap between Arendelle and Toy Story Land with TSMM.
TSL needs an indoor ride anyway, the land is completely empty on rainy days.

By the way, I just saw a brilliant idea that could increase the number of dark rides in HKDL on Micechat. Wanna know what do you guys think. Here's the idea (NOT MINE):
1. Move Mickey's Philhar Magic to the Opera House in Main Street.
2. Build a dark ride in the original site of Philhar (possibly Peter Pan's Flight)
3. Build Critter Country (with Splash Mountain and Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh) under Grizzly Gulch
4. The original Pooh ride in Fland can then be converted into another dark ride (maybe Snow White)
5. Demolish Fantasy Gardens and build an Alice dark ride there (such that it forms an Alice mini-land with Teacups)

SweetDuffy101

any updates on HK? constrcution likewise.

HKDL is really pushing for new characters in the park and more limiited merch that are HK exclusive, And Stella Lou is about to debut this August.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom