HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

PymParty

Detailed map of World of Frozen at HKDL. Interesting to see there is a small expansion pad to the land on the top right corner.
IMG_7292.JPG
Source : HKDL of Fantasy on Twitter

bsod

Tokyo's Arendelle castle has a restaurant inside, and you can walk through it. But in Hong Kong's it seems like it is just a big backdrop. I thought the castle would have something going on tho.

BrianLo

I think this is a stellar mini land, well scaled to "Disneyland's" architecture. Really the only thing it could maybe use is a table service restaurant.

I've been pointing out for a while that while the track is similarly laid out to Maelstrom/FEA, the show building size and therefore scene square footage is quite a bit more robust than Epcot. Seeing the upgraded animatronics I think we might be pleasantly surprised.

Not that it won't be FEA scene for scene, but that there may be some notable improvements like deeper, larger scenes.

Haymarket

How many acres will the park be once the Frozen Kingdom land opens?

The park was 68 acres when it opened. I'm hoping it's been on a slow march towards the more normal 100 acres of the original Disneyland.

The more popular the park, the more likely there'll be a second park and a proper retail and dining area? I know the city didn't permit a renewal of Disney's option for the second plot, but there's just temporary quarantine housing there now.

The castle still disappoints me, as does the needlessly dinky front gate, a copy of the original. But the park is making serious progress.

hkdtrainstopcp.jpg

Hong Kong

u2hi3t7o82yutl4h24lg131-624x351.jpg

Shanghai

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think this is a stellar mini land, well scaled to "Disneyland's" architecture. Really the only thing it could maybe use is a table service restaurant.

I've been pointing out for a while that while the track is similarly laid out to Maelstrom/FEA, the show building size and therefore scene square footage is quite a bit more robust than Epcot. Seeing the upgraded animatronics I think we might be pleasantly surprised.

Not that it won't be FEA scene for scene, but that there may be some notable improvements like deeper, larger scenes.
Will let you know. 😁

J4546

I know the coaster is a short dressed up barnstormer style coaster but it really looks good in those models, the entire land is something that should be in the USA

yensidtlaw1969

I know the coaster is a short dressed up barnstormer style coaster but it really looks good in those models, the entire land is something that should be in the USA
Sadly, this is closer to what Walt Disney World should have gotten than what they actually built. WDW is clearly the more natural fit for such an expansion of the stateside resorts, but instead they bunted on a billion-dollar franchise and gave us an underwhelming addition to EPCOT.

Disneyland has no room for such an expansion in any existing gate (and even less in the only gate where it would make thematic sense). But even if they were to reclaim existing areas, it would be a holistic error to dedicate so much of Disneyland to one property.

**Throws side-eye at Galaxy's Edge**

While I would have preferred a Frozen Dark Ride in Fantasyland at MK and think that would have been the most organic use of the property, at this point I probably wouldn't have complained if we'd gotten a slightly amped up version of this land at DHS with some fiddling to explain how it makes sense there. Not that Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge go to real lengths to explain how you got from Hollywood to their respective locales. At least MGM made the argument that the destinations were "hot sets" or the like, which isn't so much their MO anymore, so I doubt they would have gone to much trouble to explain how we suddenly got to Arendelle. But at least the property would have been given room to breathe and actually satisfy guests with a scale deserving of Frozen's success.

WDW really is in a weird spot these days. It seems like no curatorial conversation is being had at Disney around either what properties the film studios are presenting or how to make sense of representing any of those in the parks. Disney has made up its mind that the film studios are the source for all the ideas that will ultimately be built in the parks, but the studio is rarely producing films and characters that would make any real sense in EPCOT or Animal Kingdom. They know they can't just toss everything in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, so instead they just place the successful movie characters where they don't belong and pretend they do.

The infrastructural thematic design of Walt Disney World - namely in the makeup of its 4 theme parks - and the infrastructual capacity of those four parks do not actually support the mission they've decided to undertake in this past decade. They make movies that beg to be built in the MK despite that park needing the least new investment and infusion, meanwhile EPCOT continues its downward spiral of guest attendance, guest spending, and thematic integrity. Imagine if they put a movie in the pipeline with the goal in mind that if it were successful it'd be a natural fit for EPCOT. Now imagine if they tried that 10 times a decade like they seem to for MK.

All this to say, it would absolutely make sense on paper to build a Frozen Land in the US, but Disney has put themselves in a weird corner where they can't do that without undermining what they've already built. Which, sadly, does not seem to stop them in the slightest.

Haymarket

Frozen Kingdom is about 4.7 acres:

Screenshot_20230114_234603_Earth~2.jpg

The lands added since opening (Grizzly Gulch, Mystic Manor, Toy Story Land, and Frozen Kingdom) are almost 17 acres. Please correct me if I missed something.

Screenshot_20230115_001209_Earth~2.jpg

Last edited:

J4546

I wonder if the expansion pad betweent toy story and frozen land will be an addition to toystory land or something all its own. Also, i hope they still build the Avengers expansion ride, the aesthetic of the concept art looked so amazing to me.

Haymarket

The whole park that's open to guest appears to be
about 78 acres. This includes Stark Expo and Frozen Kingdom.

Not bad. Bigger than Walt Disney Studios (~50 acres) and California Adventure (72 acres).

Screenshot_20230115_113235_Earth.jpg
Hong-Kong-Disneyland-Expansion-Map~2.jpg

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Castle is inaccessible for both HK and Paris versions. The HK meet and greet is located at Playhouse in the Woods underneath the coaster while the WDS meet and greet is housed in an additional structure between FEA exit shop and the castle.
Well that's a shame. Would have been perfect for an "Enchanted Tales with Olaf" type-experience where guests enter and he gathers them around the fireplace to retells the story of Frozen as we know only he can.

Like, at least they could have done that. If not more and better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom