HK Disneyland website update

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Why the hotel construction so soon? Is Hong Kong that short of hotel rooms. With such a small park, they better have plenty of resort ammenities to keep the guests happy. Heck, DLP had a full day park and they couldn't fill their hotels. Those empty hotels cost them BIG BUCKS in the beginning. I know that bookings in HK are great right now, but will it continue if word gets out that you can see the whole park in less than a day? Maybe they should have opted for one hotel and spent the rest on one or two more e tickets.

jrriddle

7L-WDW said:
mmm I'll check it out when i go back ..

ps. So what items are collectables ?? Out of interest .

Any brouchures, Maps, Guides, Books etc.
Search Disney + Maps or Brochures on Ebay.
You'll get the idea. :D

tomm4004

Hotels have higher profit margins than the parks themselves, so they are good for the business plan - if you can fill the rooms.

My thinking is that some people from Hong Kong itself will stay there. Many live in apartments and may enjoy staying there as a holiday even though they live close by. (you can zip home if you forgot something!)

peter11435

steve2wdw said:
Why the hotel construction so soon? Is Hong Kong that short of hotel rooms. With such a small park, they better have plenty of resort ammenities to keep the guests happy. Heck, DLP had a full day park and they couldn't fill their hotels. Those empty hotels cost them BIG BUCKS in the beginning. I know that bookings in HK are great right now, but will it continue if word gets out that you can see the whole park in less than a day? Maybe they should have opted for one hotel and spent the rest on one or two more e tickets.
Yeah, but DLP opened with six huge hotels and a campground. HKDL will only have two hotels.

jrriddle

peter11435 said:
Yeah, but DLP opened with six huge hotels and a campground. HKDL will only have two hotels.
No arguement that DLP had way too many hotels at opening, but it also had a better park than HKDL.
I think 2 hotels will be enough for now. Don't forget this isn't just for Hong Kong. They are expecting tourists from mainland China as well.
BTW did anyone see Iger's comments on this park today?
From Reuters:

Disney is in expansion mode in Asia, and Iger said plans to increase the size of a Hong Kong theme park, which will open in September, were already on the drawing board.
But, he cautioned, "We are not going to green light (give the go-ahead) on the actual construction and implementation until we get some sense for how successful the park is doing."

tomm4004

jrriddle said:
"We are not going to green light (give the go-ahead) on the actual construction and implementation until we get some sense for how successful the park is doing." [/I]
Does this mean they will only expand if the park is successful? If it tanks at opening and you don't expand then how do you make it become successful? It seems to me you have to expand either way - or just close the place down.

jrriddle

tomm4004 said:
Does this mean they will only expand if the park is successful? If it tanks at opening and you don't expand then how do you make it become successful? It seems to me you have to expand either way - or just close the place down.

I guess he means that they have a Phase 2 planned. It just a matter of when.
If the park is successful without adding new rides right away then they will milk it for all it's worth.
If it tanks right out of the gate and they get a lot of negative press about the admission cost and no rides they will green light Phase 2 quickly.
That's how I read it anyway.

tomm4004

jrriddle said:
If it tanks right out of the gate and they get a lot of negative press about the admission cost and no rides they will green light Phase 2 quickly.
That's how I read it anyway.
Have they done this at WDSP and DCA?

jrriddle

tomm4004 said:
Have they done this at WDSP and DCA?
I see your point, but...
Yes they did to a certain extent. They were pretty quick to add ToT and A Bug's Land to DCA. Not the greatest line up, but they did something.
DSP is FIANALLY getting something in they way of rides. But that place is a story unto it's self.
I think the other thing to keep in mind is that DCA & WDSP are not the main "Magic Kingdom" parks. They are second gates.
MGM & DAK at WDW were not packed with attractions either when they opened.
To get customers in the first place your main park better deliver.
Get them in with a decent Disneyland and then put in a 1/2 day second gate seems to be Eisner's theme park strategy.
Or maybe they just learned from what happened with DCA & WDSP and put in a Plan B incase things tank right away.
Again, just me speculating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom