Hitchhiking Ghosts at Disneyland getting the MK treatment?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Have we been worried about the wrong thing? This is from MC's article yesterday...

• Haunting new magic and improved infrastructure: The attraction’s extended closure is due in part to much-needed behind-the-scenes work. We’re hearing that a major refurbishment to the attraction’s huge graveyard and other scenes is on the way and will address some critical infrastructure work to the 55-year-old attraction. While no major show changes are expected in the graveyard, you can expect the scene to look brand new when it reopens with all animatronics refurbished, new scrims, and refreshed special effects. But there’s even more magic that could be on the way… and it might follow you home! It’s possible that the beloved hitchhiking ghosts could be getting a major refresh that will bring a technology update to the ride’s iconic finale and keep you hurrying back for more!

Major bummer if true.

Consumer

Have we been worried about the wrong thing? This is from MC's article yesterday...

• Haunting new magic and improved infrastructure: The attraction’s extended closure is due in part to much-needed behind-the-scenes work. We’re hearing that a major refurbishment to the attraction’s huge graveyard and other scenes is on the way and will address some critical infrastructure work to the 55-year-old attraction. While no major show changes are expected in the graveyard, you can expect the scene to look brand new when it reopens with all animatronics refurbished, new scrims, and refreshed special effects. But there’s even more magic that could be on the way… and it might follow you home! It’s possible that the beloved hitchhiking ghosts could be getting a major refresh that will bring a technology update to the ride’s iconic finale and keep you hurrying back for more!

Major bummer if true.
Horrendous. I was dreading this back when they changed the MK version. I figured they haven’t done it after all these years they weren’t going to.

mickEblu

Original Poster
This is also a bit worrisome...

• Reimagined New Orleans Square fountain plaza: Nestled between Tiana’s Palace restaurant and the Haunted Mansion, the Spanish fountain plaza featuring historic magnolia trees will be transformed. The Haunted Mansion’s queue expansion will take over part of this plaza area and the remaining space will be reimagined with new landscaping, a reworked bandstand, and additional seating for Tiana’s Palace.
"New landscaping" to me implies that at least one or some of the historic trees are being axed as the the area is not only being shrunk down but already full of trees.

Disney Analyst

Major bummer if true.

I am mostly hoping it's a blend of technology and practical. Updated AAs with some digital effects I'd be okay with.

The digital only version, no thanks.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I am mostly hoping it's a blend of technology and practical. Updated AAs with some digital effects I'd be okay with.

The digital only version, no thanks.

Hopefully you're right but if it aint broke don't fix it. And it aint broke. At least not the show. If they need to upgrade some infrastructure be my guest.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Major bummer if true.
Could this be what this permit for a new LED screen is for or is it something else?

Permit #:BLD2023-06817Address:1313 S Harbor Blvd 3501
Issued:1/11/2024Contractor:
Census:437 Additions, Alterations And Conversions - Nonresidential And NonhousekeepingPhone #:
Parcel #:08219019Type Of Work:Tenant Improvement
Valuation:$85,000.00Description:Dlr - Haunted Mansion/Bldg #3501 - Tenant Improvement: Construct New Wall At Show Level To House New Led Screen, Install (2) New Projectors And Video Servers In Existing Electrical Room.
Permit #:BLD2023-06771Address:1600 S Disneyland Dr

mickEblu

Original Poster
Could this be what this permit for a new LED screen is for or is it something else?

Permit #:BLD2023-06817Address:1313 S Harbor Blvd 3501
Issued:1/11/2024Contractor:
Census:437 Additions, Alterations And Conversions - Nonresidential And NonhousekeepingPhone #:
Parcel #:08219019Type Of Work:Tenant Improvement
Valuation:$85,000.00Description:Dlr - Haunted Mansion/Bldg #3501 - Tenant Improvement: Construct New Wall At Show Level To House New Led Screen, Install (2) New Projectors And Video Servers In Existing Electrical Room.
Permit #:BLD2023-06771Address:1600 S Disneyland Dr

Dammit. LED screen would mean AA's are gone right?

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well that is assuming its not for something else, like haven't there been rumors for years about putting ride photos into the attraction?

Right but assuming it is for this scene that would most likely mean the AA's are gone right?

Ive never heard any substantial rumors but I'm sure they have been around on some level since they made the changes to Mk's version.

Phroobar

So each mirror will be one LED screen or one big LED screen stretching the entire room? I'd guess the projectors are for the scrim ghosts and maybe some background antics.

PiratesMansion

I am fairly confident that they would not turn the Hitchhiking Ghosts into exactly what they are now at MK.

They haven't aged particularly well and I don't know that there are any modern champions of them at WDI.

I cannot emphasize enough how much I don't want them to touch anything that's not Constance or the Load Area, but it also says that there could be changes coming to the Hitchhiking Ghosts. So perhaps it's something that might be budget cut if the apparenty needed major overhauls cost more than expected.

Last edited:

Pacnw

This is also a bit worrisome...

• Reimagined New Orleans Square fountain plaza: Nestled between Tiana’s Palace restaurant and the Haunted Mansion, the Spanish fountain plaza featuring historic magnolia trees will be transformed. The Haunted Mansion’s queue expansion will take over part of this plaza area and the remaining space will be reimagined with new landscaping, a reworked bandstand, and additional seating for Tiana’s Palace.
"New landscaping" to me implies that at least one or some of the historic trees are being axed as the the area is not only being shrunk down but already full of trees.
That whole area is so beautiful. I do hope they save the trees

Figments Friend

I would be very surprised it they touch those magnolia trees.
Too much history there, and the DLR fans would riot.
But then again…they did remove some of Uncle Walt’s olive trees from the end of Main Street…so…

The smart thing to do is to leave the trees where they are and just redevelop around them.

Of course, I personally feel it’s fine the way it it.
The only area that will need redevelopment is the area near them where the old Fast Pass distribution machines used to be for the Mansion.

-

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

the beloved hitchhiking ghosts could be getting a major refresh that will bring a technology update to the ride’s iconic finale

The scene is beloved and iconic for a reason. It doesn't need a refresh. The MK version is embarrassing.

With the exception of the Pirates hen auction, WDI's tweaks to classic DL attractions have been tasteful and done cautiously. I'd be surprised and really disappointed if they desecrated the hitchhiking ghosts.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The scene is beloved and iconic for a reason. It doesn't need a refresh. The MK version is embarrassing.

With the exception of the Pirates hen auction, WDI's tweaks to classic DL attractions have been tasteful and done cautiously. I'd be surprised and really disappointed if they desecrated the hitchhiking ghosts.

I dunno. The auction update is terrible and overshadows all of the tasteful stuff. If I had my way we’d have the old auction scene with the Davy Jones projection back with no octopus or new figure. Not sure if you count the Johnny Depp dialogue as a tweak but that’s pretty bad too.

Jungle Cruise tweaks were tasteful but redundant. I remember seeing someone call it the Primates and Pachyderms cruise. Lol. They should have replaced the headhunters with a different element of danger. Not a huge fan of the trash in the water in the Hippo section either.

HM tweaks at DL (not MK where they placed HBG in a terrible spot) have been fine except for the fake grass on the lawn.

duncedoof

Major bummer if true.
Oh no no no no no

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom