History of Tokyo Disneyland

MK-fan

Original Poster
So there seems to be a lot of history books and fun facts about the creation of Disneylnd and WDW Magic Kingdom but but barely any about Tokyo Disneyland. I would love for all to chime in and add any fun facts or history about Tokyo Disneyland and it’s first couple of years operating.

I’ll put some of the info I know from reading online. When Tokyo Disneyland was being created, The OLC company wanted a westernized version very similar to Magic Kingdom and some aspects from Disneyland. The OLC team traveled to the American parks and chose the attractions they wanted to bring over.

Opening carbon copy attractions from Disneyland included Pirates of the Caribbean, Mark Twain Riverboat, Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes, Tom Sawyer Island, Space Mountain, Starcade, Penny Arcade, it’s a Small World, Main Street Cinema, Snow White Grotto, Main Street Vehicles

Opening day carbon copy attractions as well as others with altered layouts from WDW included The Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Enchanted Tiki Room, Cinderella Castle, Magic Carpet ‘Round the World, Diamond Horseshoe Revue, Cinderella’s Golden Carousel, Peter Pan’s Flight, Snow White’s Adventures, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Star Jets, Grand Prix Raceway

Shooting Gallery had a different shooting theme.

Pinocchio’s Daring Journey opened here about a month before Disneyland in CA, do that technically makes it a TDL original. Both attractions were developed at the same time making it cheaper to produce.

The Mickey Mouse Revue was relocated here partly to Magic Kingdom’s lack of pre-show capacity therefore making it difficult for the show to ever fill up and because the OLC team chose to have a copy of the attraction but thought it would be cheaper to simply transfer the attraction.

Meet the World was originally suppose to have two attractions, one in Tokyo and one in Epcot. When building Meet the World, it was found that the venue they built would not be able to support the attraction so the plans to bring it were dropped and they solely created it for the Tokyo park. Anything the imagineers built for the epcot attraction were simply used for Tokyo’s. Disney Legends Claude Coats, Blaine Gibson and the Sherman Brothers worked on this attraction.

Skyway had fully enclosed buckets due to the crazier weather and they looked more industrial. The line route only went in one direction and was very short.

The Eternal Sea was a film seen on multiple screens similar to Epcot’s Impressions de France. This attraction was unique to the park and only lasted less than two years. There is no video of it as well as not a lot of information about it, it is truly Disney’s rarest attraction as it is faded into history. I don’t even think the Disney archives has a copy of it. Here are the only two photos of the Eternal Sea that I could find.
1685079650699.png

The Haunted Mansion opened at the edge of Fantasyland because they didn’t know where else they could put it in the park.

I read a story from Jim Korkis about how Tokyo’s version of Dumbo was originally supposed to go the Magic Kingdom but it didn’t have much information as to why.

Another unique attraction named the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour came to Tokyo Disneyland in 1986. This was designed by Claude Coats.

Mad Tea Party was not added until 1986 and was the only version not to open with it’s respective park. This may have been due to budget cuts.

Can someone else shed some light on the history of TDL or interesting stories about the park

Attachments

• CE0A9CFA-CD56-446F-A296-3F06F2299B8C.jpeg
    CE0A9CFA-CD56-446F-A296-3F06F2299B8C.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 71B7D7FF-3375-4B24-AF5F-403184515DBC.png
    71B7D7FF-3375-4B24-AF5F-403184515DBC.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 1685076961559.png
    1685076961559.png
    657.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

Yes, there is unfortunately a dearth of English-language sources on TDL history.

One insight I found funny was in The Imagineering Story where Disney basically said they didn't want to do TDL cause they were too busy with Epcot, so they presented OLC with the most lopsided deal they could think of expecting they would obviously not take it, but they did.

Also, you can still see the outline of the door to Castle Mystery Tour inside Cinderella's Fairy Tale Hall entrance (looked for a picture but can't find one). No idea what, if anything is still behind it.

MatheusPG

I always wondered why Disney never tried to buy TDL like Universal did with USJ. They should have at least left a clause in the contract with a future option to buy the resort...

lazyboy97o

The Haunted Mansion opened at the edge of Fantasyland because they didn’t know where else they could put it in the park.
It was going to go in Westernland but was moved to leave room for Big Thunder Mountain.

Check out this thread for lots of tidbits:

PiratesMansion

Opening carbon copy attractions from Disneyland included Pirates of the Caribbean, Mark Twain Riverboat, Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes, Tom Sawyer Island, Space Mountain, Starcade, Penny Arcade, it’s a Small World, Main Street Cinema, Snow White Grotto, Main Street Vehicles
Pirates and IASW aren't carbon copies of DL's-they merge aspects of both parks' versions of the rides together. For IASW, what they did was fairly simple-they brought over the Disneyland facade, but the interior of the ride, save for the load area, was a carbon copy of WDW's.

Pirates is something of a hybrid of both American versions. They did bring back several Disneyland sections that didn't make it make to Orlando: they brought back the load area, Blue Bayou, and most (but not all) of the DL cave sections. However, they also brought in several elements from the WDW version-the cave ceilings in Tokyo are lowered as they are in Florida, and the spacing of the town scenes also matches MK's (DL's town scenes are almost on top of each other by comparison). Then at the end of the ride riders disembark at an unload station and speedramp setup that is more or less identical to WDW's.
Opening day carbon copy attractions as well as others with altered layouts from WDW included The Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Enchanted Tiki Room, Cinderella Castle, Magic Carpet ‘Round the World, Diamond Horseshoe Revue, Cinderella’s Golden Carousel, Peter Pan’s Flight, Snow White’s Adventures, Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Star Jets, Grand Prix Raceway
Magic Carpet 'Round the World was the CircleVision film, correct?

I'm unsure where the TDL carousel came from, but I'm sure the actual carousel machines would be different from each other. Are there specific design aesthetics that would tie it more directly to WDW's than DL's?

I miss the old Peter Pan with the more dimensional buildings. Now it's a weird DL/WDW hybrid a flatter, less interesting, more DL-esque London scene.

Snow White was a hybrid between the WDW version (most of it) and the 83 New Fantasyland version (the cabin and a few other isolated elements) done for California.

It would be nice to know at some point why they cloned WDW's Speedway.
Shooting Gallery had a different shooting theme.
What was the theme difference?
Meet the World was originally suppose to have two attractions, one in Tokyo and one in Epcot. When building Meet the World, it was found that the venue they built would not be able to support the attraction so the plans to bring it were dropped and they solely created it for the Tokyo park.
Do you have a source for this? So far as I know a clear reason for why Meet the World didn't make Epcot was never given.

Robbiem

Tokyo Disneyland was designed to be like traveling to America for Japanese people. All signage is in English with smaller Japanese translation, toilets are all western style and when it opened all the food was Western but was later changed due to guest feedback. Another Japanese nod was the canopy over Main Street which replicates those found in Japanese market streets. Originally Main st was going to be a world showcase style internationally street but the Japanese wanted an entrance like the US castle parks, I also read that the Japanese turned down a ‘Samurai land’ for frontierland (which is called westernland as frontier doesn’t translate the same way). World Bazar/Main st was designed to be able to be opened separately from the main park and is used this way occasionally

Because of the level of crowds all pavements are level with colour changes used to give the appearance of raised sidewalks. The park was also designed with wide spaces to contrast with the often cramped urban Japanese townscapes which is why there is a huge double hub

When Tokyo was being planned there was a competing proposal near Mount Fuji which withdrew. Going further back there was Nara Dreamland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nara_Dreamland which some people say was almost a licensed Disneyland (but I think this could be an urban myth).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom