Hillary Duff as "Dorothy" in Muppets Movie?

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Saw this over at Jim Hill.

--------------------------------------------------

Guess which tween star the Walt Disney Company supposedly recently offered a very nice chunk of change, with the hope that she'd then agree to pull on a pair of ruby-red slippers and play Dorothy in "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz"? Would you believe Miss Lizzie McGuire herself, Hillary Duff?

Yes, this is the same performer who -- back in May of 2003 -- angrily stormed away from the Mouse House. Reportedly because Hillary's mother (who also acts as Duff's manager) wasn't "feeling the love" from Disney company executives. At the time, mother & daughter Duff were allegedly asking Mickey for a whole lot more moola if Hillary were to continue working for the Mouse.

Back then, Disney supposedly had big plans for Ms. Duff. These included a new "Lizzie McGuire " TV series (which would have taken the lovable tween from junior high to high school) which was then to have aired on ABC as part of that network's "TGIF" line-up. The company also allegedly wanted to make several sequels to Hillary's highly successful movie debut, "The Lizzie McGuire Movie" (Which wound up grossing $42 million during its domestic run last year).

According to published reports, Disney reportedly offered Duff $35,000 per episode to appear in a new "Lizzie McGuire" TV series. There was also talk of a $500,000 bonus if the tween star would sign to do two sequels to "The Lizzie McGuire Movie." But mother & daughter Duff wanted more. LOTS more. Which is why they noisily walked away from the Mouse House in May of 2003 and began to negotiate with other studios.

Still, it didn't make sense -- career-wise -- for Hillary to totally cut her ties to the Mouse House. Which is why -- back in June of last year -- Ms. Duff signed a three record deal with Disney's Buena Vista Music Group. This turned out to be a pretty shrewd move on on both Hillary & Disney's part. For Ms. Duff's first album -- "Metamorphosis" -- eventually became the 8th biggest selling LP for 2003. This recording sold over 2.4 million copies in the US alone.

Since then, the Mouse has been desperate to kiss & make up with the mother / daughter team. With the hope with the Duffs will eventually return to the Disney fold and make lots more money for the Mouse in the years to come. This is why the "Muppets' Wizard of Oz" script supposedly got dropped in Hillary's lap earlier this month.

Yes, I know. As recently as last Monday, I was telling you guys that Natalie Portman & Anne Hathaway were supposedly the front runners for Dorothy in "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz." But -- according to Mouse House insiders who reached out to me last week -- this is no longer the case.

Mickey's new plan is supposedly to use this project to lure Duff -- who's said to be a huge Muppet fan -- back into the Disney fold. The current hope is that Hillary will jump at the chance to work with Kermit & Co. And that -- sometime over the six weeks that "Wizard of Oz" will be in production this fall -- Disney will finally be able to mend fences with mother & daughter. Which will then clear the way for that new "Lizzie McGuire" TV series for ABC (which could really use a hit right about now) as well as those sequels to the "Lizzie McGuire" movie.

Mind you, nothing's been signed yet. But those in the know consider it very significant that Ms. Duff has chosen to wrap her latest concert tour on September 12th. Just a day before before shooting on "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz" was supposed to begin.

Okay, I know. That evidence -- all by itself -- seems somewhat slim. But what if I were to remind you that "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz" is being shot up in Northern Vancouver. And that -- on September 11th -- Hillary will actually be performing at Vancouver's Pacific Coliseum. Followed by a one day jaunt over to Alberta to play at Calgary's Pengrowth Saddledome.

So -- given that she's going to be across the border already anyway -- is it really such a stretch of the imagination to think that Hillary Duff would then take advantage of this opportunity to head over the rainbow?

L. Frank Baum fans that I've spoken with about this proposed casting actually seem cautiously optimistic. Why for? Because -- should Hillary Duff sign to play Dorothy in "The Muppets' Wizard of Oz" -- this will be the first time in Hollywood history that Baum's heroine is portrayed just as L. Frank originally envisioned her ... as a blonde!

aimster

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

If it happens I'mg oing to hire a hitman to go after the casting director.

I can't stand Hillary Duff.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
I know!! I remember someone once posting that "every time I hear Hillary sing I want to stick a billiard ball in her mouth." :lol: Too funny!!

Shaman

Actually I think bringing Duff back into the 'Disney fold' would be a good thing for Disney (business-wise that is)...I mean, I really don't care for the girl's acting or singing...but she's popular with the kiddies now...and that equals $$$...

That being said, does there have to be a Muppet's Wizard of Oz (and better yet one, with Hillary Duff)?? :brick:

Oh well...maybe it will all work out for the better....:lookaroun

aimster

General Grizz said:
OUT OF THE FRYING PAN AND INTO THE FIRE...

They want Ashanti now!!

:brick:

(These people . . . I just DON'T GET IT. . . )
Ashanti can't act her way out of a wet paper bag with a hole in it. I saw her guest appearance on the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer a couple years ago and she was AWFUL! I was so glad when Buffy finally killer her.

wdwmaniac

Hilary will bring the kids to watch it. And even if it is Hilary the Muppets will need a name to bring them out. So its a good idea from a muppet view point.

careship

Ashanti I thought was bad enough, but add Queen Latifah and Quentin Tarantino and they have the makings for disaster. I know they sure squashed all my happy thoughts about the remaking and dashed my desire to see it.

brisem

Tarantino to appear in Muppets movie
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Blood-and-guts director Quentin Tarantino may be going soft. The Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction director will make a cameo appearance in a new ABC-TV movie featuring the Muppets and based on the classic tale The Wizard of Oz, ABC announced Thursday.
The film, with the working title The Muppets' Wonderful Wizard of Oz, is set to begin production in Vancouver, British Columbia, next month and air in the coming TV season on The Wonderful World of Disney.

Tarantino's role as himself is likely to be overshadowed by pop star Ashanti, starring as Dorothy, and Miss Piggy. The muppet will play three wicked witches and Glinda, Good Witch of the South.

Among other muppets, Kermit the Frog is the Scarecrow, the Great Gonzo is the Tin Man and Fozzie Bear is the Lion. Besides Ashanti as Dorothy, the film features actress-singer Queen Latifah playing Auntie Em.

Described by the network as a "madcap adventure," the project is based on Frank L. Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Judy Garland played Dorothy is the famed 1939 film version, while Diana Ross starred in 1978's The Wiz.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Goofster

Talk about fantastic! This is actually an up and coming Disney movie that I can be excited about. Ashanti and Queen Latifah will be perfect and I really love the direction they're taking with this film. It's gonna be different, but the Wizard of Oz has been done so many times in so many different ways this baby has got to stand out. Quentin Tarantino's cameo is gonna be wicked cool as well, and Piggy is sure to steal the show playing all 4, thats right count 'em, four, witches.

GO DISNEY- GO HENSON!!!
Now the question, who's got the surprise cameo as the Wizard of Oz? Frank Oz would of course be amazing, but I'd pull for Eisner as well....I mean, how awesome and ironic would it be for Eisner to have a cameo as a man who is trying to trick the world into thinking he's a lot more powerful and smarter and stronger than he actually is?

Of course, Rowlf or Bunsen and Beaker could be good too if they're using muppets in the role, but due to the fact that all real world human characters are being played by actual humans, i'd expect a killing cameo, hopefully by Frank Oz!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom